The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Another new racecourse?

Home Forums Horse Racing Another new racecourse?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

Well no…but after the seeming success of Ffos las and calamity of Great leighs, given the choice of location, a nice budget and freedom to design……where would you situate a new course and what would it look like?

I still believe that Essex is the clear location…and maybe given that GL is still in a coma rather than brown bread….we should take that location as used.

Any ideas?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Lancashire seems a bit short of racecourses. A flat/AW track near Preston / Blackpool might work. Large population within easy reach. Good (well plentiful) main roads/motorways.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Towards Blackpool if you’re going to site it in Lancs.

Plenty of major towns around there and no major racecourse between Haydock and Carlisle/Cartmel up on the border.

Stockport would be somewhere else which would benefit from a racecourse or up around Blackburn/Burnley – easy access to Manchester (which is about 90 mins to Aintree on the train, an hour to Chester and an hour-ish to Haydock from the city centre).

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Id love to see a Laytown style meeting at Southport or Blackpool.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

Id love to see a Laytown style meeting at Southport or Blackpool.

……or St Andrew’s! To pinch an idea from Kempton, they could run to background music of the Chariots Of Fire theme.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

The Welsh deserved another racecourse and wish all at Ffos Las every success. But please no more.

We have too much racing as it is. let’s get rid of a few instead.

Value Is Everything
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Clive, just for you how about: Silverstone, Donnington and Brands Hatch :D

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I think the London area needs more racecourses- we need to serve our Cockney overlords in a full and docile manner IMO. :wink:

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

Pompete…

What a good idea…suprised at you

A dirty nosiy stupid "sport", followed by acne ridden nerds and Alan Partidges which is run by a midget and a sado macochsitic nazi. Not only that it was very much the chosen "sport" of new labour….vacous empty and tacky

Anyway….

another course in london? Ally pally???

Personally i can see the sense in Blackpool . In some ways its suprising that it hasnt been mooted and are the enormous crowds at Cartmel a reflection on the lack of racing in a true holiday area?

Kent isnt greatly served either although lingfield is very reachable i suppose

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Agree about London needing more courses.

Ascot,Lingfield,Epsom,Kempton,Sandown,Newbury,Windsor.

Plumpton and Brighton an hour or so by train.

Thats a good enough amount for me.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The Welsh deserved another racecourse and wish all at Ffos Las every success. But please no more.

We have too much racing as it is. let’s get rid of a few instead.

I would concur with that.

Certainly both the London and Yorkshire areas could easily afford to lose one or two each.

Which ones though?

Kempton would be my first choice to go in London with, possibly, Windsor being be the second one. The King George could go to either Sandown or Ascot, same with the Easter meeting which will move the big Easter races back onto turf. The other meetings are expendable. Windsor may attract big crowds but the racing itself is usually little to write home about and the viewing is terrible.

In the Go Racing in Yorkshire area the choice is much simpler Thirsk and Redcar. Thirsk is so pretentious, without any justifiable reason and the setting of Redcar is enough to consign it to the history books – the only course where you feel inclined to wear a respirator when visiting.

You could also argue any one of Hereford, Worcester or Ludlow could also go – as I am already on record as predicting Worcester will be the next course to close I will stick with that one.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If it’s to be near London, surely it should be situated amongst the rolling hills of Clivex’s estate?

A man of such wit and savoir faire would undoubtedly be a first-class proprietor, and generous

mein host

of any new racecourse, and I would personally look forward to him handing out the prizes, sporting his regulation mustard-cords, smoking-jacket, monacle and mirrored fez.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

There was a thread about this a few months ago Paul.

My choice would be either Epsom and / or Brighton in the south. With the Derby, Coronation and Oaks moved to Newbury, with improvements made to that track. They are both undulating tracks that are (imo) badly designed with safety of the racehorse in mind. If they were proposed new tracks they would not be passed. Newbury is (I believe) the fairest track in the country.

Think it is a great idea to get rid of at least one Yorkshire track. Don’t know enough about any of them. Will leave it up to the people of Yorkshire to decide in a vote.

Value Is Everything
    Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

If it’s to be near London, surely it should be situated amongst the rolling hills of Clivex’s estate?

A man of such wit and savoir faire would undoubtedly be a first-class proprietor, and generous

mein host

of any new racecourse, and I would personally look forward to him handing out the prizes, sporting his regulation mustard-cords, smoking-jacket, monacle and mirrored fez.

:mrgreen:

I consider my thunder well and truly stolen.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I’ll have to disagree with you there, Paul – I like Worcester very much as a track, it’s galloping and very fair. I think it would be a sad loss if it were to go.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I’ll have to disagree with you there, Paul – I like Worcester very much as a track, it’s galloping and very fair. I think it would be a sad loss if it were to go.

Bet you agree about Kempton though? :lol:

Agree about Worcester being a galloping and fair track – my reasoning is more based on economics and its propensity to flood and losing too many meetings.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Oh yes, I agree about Kempton!! :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.