The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Another fatality at Southwell …

Home Forums Horse Racing Another fatality at Southwell …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Today, sadly there was another fatality at Southwell, following the two there yesterday.

One of Monday’s was a horse that broke down during the race, but the other two have involved starting stall incidents, or to be more specific when the stalls have opened.

Both were in sprints when obviously a good start is essential, at Southwell more than most.

I have been considering how much the Fibresand surface may be responsible for these incidents. It’s not uncommon to see horses stumbling out of the stalls there, and to put it in human terms it must be like trying to run quickly from a standing start in soft sand (not easy!).

I may be wrong, but it doesn’t seem to happen on the Polytrack courses. I am not trying to apportion blame on anyone and even less to suggest a solution, but we don’t need a Grand National type reaction from certain quarters to develop!

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Well, reports say she got tangled up in her reins, but I also wonder if she hit her head on the stalls before coming out as she seemed very disorientated. She straightened up, half reared and turned around then bumped into the stalls and fell over. So it seems to me that the fatal injury was done before the stall doors opened, but I’ve only seen the replay and not the race live so don’t know what was going on beforehand. So it may not be down to the fibresand at all.

Whatever the cause it’s a sad loss for the stable and owners. :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 121

Another website reports that she may have had a heart attack.Really sad all the same.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I saw about 30 seconds today. That surface flying up at horses who are under pressure after about 100 yards.

It’s atrocious racing.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Another website reports that she may have had a heart attack.Really sad all the same.

Yes that could be a possible too. She didn’t seem to be in control of her legs.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

I understand that Southwell Racecourse are to hold an internal investigation into the two stalls related incidents. This was announced after racing yesterday by the Clerk at Southwell, Roderick Duncan.

He believed that there was no correlation between the two, but this is, i think, a wise move to rule out any possible faults and to show that action is being taken.

As an aside, it is reported that Mark Johnston was met with a few boos at the course yesterday following his comments that the track surface was ‘dire’ at Southwell – didn’t stop him having 2 winners though!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

The two stall incidents seemed like freak moments really, I’ve rarely seen horses die as a result of the salls, I can count it on one hand, including those two so for two to happen in two days it is tragic but a bit of an anomaly.

Southwell surface is no more dangerous than any synthetic course ordinarily so I find these incidents of late quite bizarre. Something needs getting to the bottom of but I think it is just largely a freak period, an internal investigation is sensible but I feel it is just sad and unfortunate freak period.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

where only in January and there seem to have been so many loses already, and the racecourse name that pops up most is this one :cry:

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

There had only been one death at the racecourse in 2013 in April. It is freakish hat it has all happened at Southwell in such a short space of time, not necessarily the course is to blame at this point.

Two of those deaths were starting stall related and could have happened at any track such is the nature of them.

It is deeply saddening to see, hopefully there are no more problems to follow in the immediate future, one thing is for sure it doesn’t want any more bad press.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

There had only been one death at the racecourse in 2013 in April. It is freakish hat it has all happened at Southwell in such a short space of time, not necessarily the course is to blame at this point.

Two of those deaths were starting stall related and could have happened at any track such is the nature of them.

It is deeply saddening to see, hopefully there are no more problems to follow in the immediate future, one thing is for sure it doesn’t want any more bad press.

totally agree, I heard the organisation we all know to well , where onto it straight away, asking for a ban yet again

vf

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Sadly, another fatality at Southwell today. The grand old handicapper, Hanoverian Baron, pulled up in the feature race there and it was later declared that he had died.

I notice he had only run there once before, over 4 years ago, when he was well beaten.

Probably not surface related today, but certain organisations will be asking questions soon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

Sadly, another fatality at Southwell today. The grand old handicapper, Hanoverian Baron, pulled up in the feature race there and it was later declared that he had died.

I notice he had only run there once before, over 4 years ago, when he was well beaten.

Probably not surface related today, but certain organisations will be asking questions soon.

so sad :( I know they are racing there like nearly everyday lately on AW so bound to be injuries more then say a few days at Cheltenham or elsewhere

the other organisations i will not mention are already on to it and protesting the course be closed down

its not good for racing

vf

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Sad indeed the horses give so much pleasure to us fans

However when Newcastle is up and running , and perhaps Catterick as aw opposition , I think Southwell will suffer as a result

Shame its a character track that offers a great day out !!!

imo

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

It never ceases to amaze me how horses run well there at all. Unless you’re in front, the kick back must be irritating, off putting and not at all conducive to fair racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Of course groups such as Animal Aid are going to be onto this. Unfortunately though, they won’t be prepared to deal in rational. Again, the incident today can not be put down to the surface/course but they will deal in sensationalism.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.