The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Another embarassment

Home Forums Horse Racing Another embarassment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’m actually typing as the 2:40 at Southwell is going on, but even I could see that this race was a false start.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Where the hell was the communication between the starter and the flag man a furlong up the course.

As soon as the race started the flagman at the start is waving his flag to signal a false start, but the more important flagman (as the jockeys can see him) a furlong up the course just walks away as if nothing has happened – where was the communication?

Mike

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

God how bad is that. Half them jockeys knew it was false too. I’m going to try back rebellious spirit now!!

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

What will happen to the bets placed on the other horses?? And why did the commentator keep giving the commentary?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

They have to run it again with those who stuck to the rules (ie. didn’t cross the finish line). So just Brave Rebbelion then and a walkover will ensue :)

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

The poor punters who have lost their money on that race. Shouldn’t have happened that. Very embarrassing :oops:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

What will happen to the bets placed on the other horses?? And why did the commentator keep giving the commentary?

The commentator carried on KS because he couldn’t anticipate what was going to happen I presume.

The race result is quite simple – Rebellious Spirit is the winner and is the only one to finish the course – the others are ‘also rans’ for want of a better phrase.

I’m still amazed that the flagman a furlong up the course just walked off as if nothing had happened. You can clearly see from the head on that he/she wasn’t even looking at the starter or the flagman near the starter. If he was, he would have seen them waving the flag and he/she would have done likewise.

Mike

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

The other’s are DQ’d.

The flagman/woman did the right thing – he/she waved the flag and nobody took a blind bit of notice (save for Catlin), they were coming at 40MPH at him/her I wouldn’t stand there to take one for the team.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

The other’s are DQ’d.

The flagman/woman did the right thing – he/she waved the flag and nobody took a blind bit of notice (save for Catlin), they were coming at 40MPH at him/her I wouldn’t stand there to take one for the team.

The flagman a furlong up the course didn’t wave the flag did he/she? Unless my eyes are really failing me, he/she simply walked off the course without waving the flag.

The only person who waved a flag was the flagman near the start – the one on the actually track a furlong up didn’t – or have I got this wrong. I will happily hold my hands up if I have.

Mike

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The woman with the flag standing on the course had it raised in the air.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

The woman with the flag standing on the course had it raised in the air.

Wow, I need my eyes really testing :lol:

As I remember it, as soon as the stalls opened, she put the flag down by her side and walked off the course, but I am willing to accept I was wrong.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Lol,

Poor excuse I know, but I watched the head on originally upstairs on a standard TV and that TV showed the flagman walking off the course without raising the flag (or that’s what I thought)….

But when I took a look on the widescreen TV downstairs, I could see the flagman walked a few yards, stopped, and then raised the flag :lol:

My apologies to all concerned and to the said flagman or woman. Right, I’m off to buy a widescreen tv for the bedroom :lol: .

So in that case, it’s well done to Catlin and a ban for the other jockeys surely.

Mike

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Kirsty can take 3 weeks in Barbados topping up her tan now :D

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Boylesports have already announced that they will pay out on Rebellious Spirit and refund all bets on the disqualified horses. I would like to think that would be the sensible thing for all other firms to do as well.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

On the basis that racing only changes anything after years of debate, I’ll repeat something I wrote years ago after a similar cock-up.

Flags are NBG, the starter and the recall man/woman should be equipped with those klaxon horns attached to a can of compressed air, the sort beloved of continental football fans.

Given that noise coming at them from in front and behind, no jockey would be able to claim they missed the signal. Might make the horses harder to stop though!

AP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.