The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Another Each Way steal

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Another Each Way steal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    berminn
    • Total Posts 94

Folks,

3:20 Catterick Rightway Star

Have him in at 3’s, fav could be a 2’s on shot. Aside from 2 runners from the Johnson stable, the rest of the field look rags. At 1/4 odds a place, is the above bet too good to be true?

Thanks in advance

Mavrick
    • Total Posts 44

I’m not sure what you mean by the bet being too good to be true, as you’ll lose money if the horse is only placed if you do it eachway, and on the place-only market it’s only 1/3.

berminn
    • Total Posts 94

I’m not sure what you mean by the bet being too good to be true, as you’ll lose money if the horse is only placed if you do it eachway, and on the place-only market it’s only 1/3.

Classic aftertiming I know but it was one of those solid bets whereby the odds of being placed were disproportionate to the horses win odds. 1/4 odds at 7/2 in the bookmakers equates to .875 to place. Betfairs place market was .34. Although you would lose 6.25% on your investment for a place only, the possible return should the horse wins far outweighs the probability of the horse finishing unplaced.

Mavrick
    • Total Posts 44

HI berminn

Yes, I know what you mean about the place odds being disproportionate, but I never think it is a great bet when even if your bet is successful or even just half successful you still lose money, but of course that is just my opinion. If the field was much bigger and you were able to get for example 7-8/1+ about the second fav then maybe it is worth it. These bets are called bad each-way bets by the bookies and the place stake is tighly limited. Will Hill will let you have 50
    pounds on the place part, and Corals will only let you have 25 pounds on the place part. On course, the bookies will go win-only. If an off course bookie picks up on a punter regularly just betting each way on these types of races then they will probably refuse to take any more bets of them on these races.

Quite often you will find people selling systems that require you to just bet on the 2nd fav when there is a heavily odds on fav. The bookies quickly pick up on it though.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Interesting.

I agree about the element of a horse having a solid place chance and a great win chance which can be overpriced.

Although you do lose a bit on the place, as mentioned by other poster, I still consider these bets as good ones.

Yep, I’ve heard betting shop managers talking about these bets and the limits.

Frankly, the major chain betting shops are a joke if you want to place a decent size wager.

Perhaps smaller firms are better?

Do big hitters bet on course or over the phone?

Does it depend on how the firm “assesses” a punter and potential losshow quickly they can lay it off etc

Zip

Mavrick
    • Total Posts 44

Frankly, the major chain betting shops are a joke if you want to place a decent size wager.

Perhaps smaller firms are better?

Do big hitters bet on course or over the phone?

Does it depend on how the firm "assesses" a punter and potential losshow quickly they can lay it off etc

Zip

I can only speak for Hills And Corals as that’s all I’ve worked for in the past.
    Every morning there is a list of these bad each-way races sent to all of there shops. Regardless of who the punter is, you will only be allowed the above limits on the place part.

As soon as a regular is spotted just betting on these races he will be logged onto their system to record all of his bets. Sometimes, even if he hasn’t made money on these races, he could be asked to stop betting on them as he will always come out on top in the long run as the odds are in his favour.

Unless a bet is huge, and I’m not talking about a couple of grand here, then the big names won’t even think about laying it off. These bad-each way bets can’t be layed of anyway, as no one will take them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.