The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

And today’s big race is…

Home Forums Horse Racing And today’s big race is…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Why, the four-miler at the Hexham Festival of course!

Matmata de Tendron AND Mr Woods to name but two – I’ve waited all year for this!!

Mike

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

I remember this race with fondness. My first year working as a board marker and one of the regular old boys (my friend’s grandfather) who used to have 5p forecast doubles on the greyhounds every day came in and told me he was having £30 on one of Stan Mellor’s at Hexham. Naturally I asked him to put a bet on for me as well.

Bless Him :D

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

One of my absolute highlights of the season, this, year in and year out.

Matmata De Tendron’s got himself dangerously well handicapped for a repeat bid, and is marginally better off with Seeking Power (including claims) for beating him narrowly last term; but I’ve thrown my lot in with Bubbly Breeze, who has looked in need of further on a number of occasions this term and can number a C&D winner among his full siblings.

The busy itinerary is the worry for me regarding Mr Woods. Having already taken in six miles three furlongs on testing going inside the last week, I fear the tipping point may come at some point during these additional four. He’s one heck of a tough horse if he does emerge on top here as well, though.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

One of my absolute highlights of the season, this, year in and year out.

Matmata De Tendron’s got himself dangerously well handicapped for a repeat bid, and is marginally better off with Seeking Power (including claims) for beating him narrowly last term; but I’ve thrown my lot in with Bubbly Breeze, who has looked in need of further on a number of occasions this term and can number a C&D winner among his full siblings.

The busy itinerary is the worry for me regarding Mr Woods. Having already taken in six miles three furlongs on testing going inside the last week, I fear the tipping point may come at some point during these additional four. He’s one heck of a tough horse if he does emerge on top here as well, though.

gc

I would go with that – Mr Woods could be a ‘hack up or pull up’. Whilst it could be argued that unexposed handicap good thing Matmata needs further nowadays (say, six miles), I fully expect him to track the leaders to 2 out before unleashing his trademark turn of foot to sprint away up to the line.*

Mike

*May have dreamt that last bit…

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6341

I’ll go along with GC and Bubbly Breeze. I’ve had this one marked down for staying chases for a while and this might be his chance.

I would love to see Seeking Power make a mark here, four mile chases with a stiff finish are the big gelding’s best chance, but I suspect he might find them getting away from him on the ground. If they ever decide to hold six mile steeplechases I’d be backing him every time!

Mr Woods is in fine form, but just as likely to thrown in a jumping howler or two.

Matmata De Tendron has chances, but normally finds a way of losing whenever I think he can win!

Rob

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Esme Rides a Gaine

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6341

I would love to know the story behind that name…

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5709

What a lovely thread :D

At the odds I’m quite content to take on Mr Woods with both Bubbly Breeze and Matmata De Tendron, largely for the reasons outlined by GC above

Rob,

I really do think the long term plan for Outlaw Tom should be to get his mark down below 110…this time next year Rodney

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6341

Drone

It would have been nice if Outlaw Tom had been dropped enough to get into that race as the four miles around Hexham suits him down to the ground.

Next race is likely to be the three mile chase at Hexham on March 25th, though rain would be essential. Target after that is the Highland National at Perth and I presume autumn target will be the same Hexham race he won last year.

Rob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.