The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Carruthers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

I mentioned on the first day about ‘unpickable’ winners and despite the returned SP this would be another. The horse was slaughtered by Carruthers at Warwick over 2m5f – the winner was going away at finish and would almost certainly have beaten him 25 lengths plus over another three furlongs. Only blind faith in King/Thornton would have provided any hope of a reversal. As it is Carruthers was never really travelling and ran an absolute shocker. I don’t buy the theory in today’s Post that he needs to dominate – strikes me as lazy journalism. I cannot believe he didn’t stay which leaves three possibilities – a problem, the nightmare for punters acts on ‘soft’ but not ‘tacky’ or he is not a horse who can take too much racing. Again I wouldn’t give up on him.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I too am a fan of carruthers, and was hugely impressed by him when he beat nenuphar collonges an d souffelur, I never backed him antepost for the albert bartlett as suspected that the way he won by just running them into the ground on rough ground he wouldnt go aswell on better ground, although the ground at cheltenham wasn’t what I had expected it to be and all the times off the week have been fairly slower than expected with all horses finishing looking tired.

I would never have thought of Nenuphar collonges for the race and as soon as he won I checked his price, expecting him to be about 25s or 33s, he was 9s, so he must have been fancied as coming back to form, wheras carruthers hadn’t been the most solid looking in the antepost markets and indeed the biggest gamble in that market appeared to be the third horse Thetotherone. Carruthers appeared to get a fair amount of money on the day, but it is possible he was just the most popular horse, because of his impressive win and the lord oaksey factor.

They said after he beat nenuphar collonges earlier in the season that he was a big chasing prospect but that they would have a go at the albert bartlett, so he could very well be a bet for next years Royal and Sun Alliance. I wouldn’t be too worried about him not running to form yesterday, there have been plenty of well fancied horses who haven’t this week.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I agree with both posts. I don’t doubt that the Bradstock team had Carruthers spot on for the day, as a Festival win means so much to the smaller yards, but at the same time defeat yesterday was never going to be the end of the world as it was always going to be about chasing with the gelding.

The "domination" argument doesn’t wash with me either, and I sensed from an early stage that he wasn’t acting on the ground. No matter – 3m chases in genuine deep ground will do very nicely for him next season, ta very much.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

The fact that seven of the first nine home were just about the last seven at halfway suggests that Carruthers simply went too fast in front, even though it didn’t look that way watching live.

Enormous credit to Seigemaster, who was the only horse that stayed prominent throughout and got involved in the finish.

As for Carruthers prospects over fences, it would be good to see this race produce a high class chaser as that what it was designed to do. The fifty odd runners in the first three renewals haven’t really delivered – Air Force One, Bob Bob Bobbin, Dream Alliance and Over The Creek are the best and I’d call them nearly horses rather than contenders for the big prizes.

AP

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Siegemaster travelled very easily on the bridle – I think that is typical of the horse he is. Not sure Carruthers will go straight over fences – had he reproduced the Warwick form yesterday he would have been quoted as one of the favourites for the World Hurdle so I suspect he will be given the chance to redeem himself first.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Mark Bradstock has been in very good form this season, but when he is out of form they all seem to run poorly. May be that was the case here. In trouble too far out to blame "needs to dictate".
    Thought Thomas went too soon on The Tother One. Was shouting for Sam to hold on to him, after almost giving it away at Sandown, he did give it away yesterday. Then again, I was saying the same with Scu on An Accordian.

Ginge

value is everything
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.