The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Alan Woods

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Not sure if this has been covered on here already, but Alan Woods died recently. Someone on the Betfair Forum posted this link to an article on a man who was one of the biggest punters in the world in the last 30 years. I thought it made interesting reading.

<!– m –>http://www.tonywilson.com.au/writing/alanwoods.php<!– m –>

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

Thanks for link Prufrock

Should i post this on value thread

They do it by searching for what they call overlays. An overlay is any horse that has been under-bet by the public and whose odds, as a result, are inflated.

:D

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

That wasn’t lost on me, Charlie!

Still, what did Alan Woods know, eh?!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Enough not to even get involved in betting, or pricing, horses until he had logged every nuance of every horse’s form in the finest detail before he placed a bet.
    Even then, in a country with only 2 racetracks, he almost did his pieces when they made a minor change at one of the tracks. Any attempt to do similarly in this country would need an absolute army to collate the data from 4 meetings a day under 4 different disciplines, run over 59 different courses that alter configurations on a whim, mostly on indeterminate going, and with a horse population infinitely larger than those he operated in.
    Having achieved all that, he still wouldn’t get his bets on.
    Easy, innit? :lol:

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I know of a handful of operations who do just that on British racing already.

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

Dunno if it’s on the same scale as Woods and Bentor’s, but i’ve read a couple of people now use the "automated" process

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Great article, thanks Pru.
    Gives me something to think about next time I’m wondering if the five grand tote pool at Naas will take another €20 on my carefully selected overlay……….

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

lol!

The "number of runs rather than age" is something a South African punter pointed out to me some time ago. I don’t know for sure whether it’s true over here as well but it sounds intriguing.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

An excellent, if exhausting, article.

Cheers, Pru.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Enough not to even get involved in betting, or pricing, horses until he had logged every nuance of every horse’s form in the finest detail before he placed a bet.
    Even then, in a country with only 2 racetracks, he almost did his pieces when they made a minor change at one of the tracks. Any attempt to do similarly in this country would need an absolute army to collate the data from 4 meetings a day under 4 different disciplines, run over 59 different courses that alter configurations on a whim, mostly on indeterminate going, and with a horse population infinitely larger than those he operated in.

All irrelevant in terms of the value seeking debate. Woods was a pure value seeking punter – and looking at his record, I reckon he found a bit of it somewhere, don’t you?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

All irrelevant in terms of the value seeking debate. Woods was a pure value seeking punter – and looking at his record, I reckon he found a bit of it somewhere, don’t you?

Sure it’s irrrelevant TDK, he never concerned himself with detail, did he – just looked at the prices and bet? :roll:

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

Very, very interesting article, thanks Purfrock.

The actual ‘system’ used by Woods wouldn’t have worked here but perhaps the ‘systematic approach’ he favoured may be something which has legs. It seems that one or two people do use this type of approach successfully over here.

I agree with Reet that the mechanics of racing in this country make such a systematic approach more challenging but with the all-weather tracks now well established there is surely some mileage in looking at those in isolation perhaps?

I was very interested in the bit which illustrated how minor changes would play havoc and result in them having to redefine their ‘system’.

Absorbing subject.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Sure it’s irrrelevant TDK, he never concerned himself with detail, did he – just looked at the prices and bet? :roll:

No-one said value betting was just about looking at the prices and betting. It is about producing as accurate a set of prices as possible and betting based on which horses the market has underrated according to that tissue. This IS "value betting" and woods won fortunes doing it.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

I’ve seen Alan post his bets on UK racing on forums before, so presumably at least he thought that such an approach could work here!

Still doesn’t make any of his losing bets value though :roll:

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I read this last night and thought it was a thoroughly interesting article..

I agree with Corm’s suggestion that the AW tracks seem the only viable option for this type of betting but the pools are obviously not going to be in the same league!!

For what its worth I don’t think i could ever approach racing in the way he does, I love the game too much and it would take away the romance.. Racing is the only thing I bet on other than playing poker (Whci is definitely more profitable!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.