The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Alan Johnston

Home Forums Lounge Alan Johnston

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

He got out! Coollllll he’s been held captive for over 3 months – wonder if the other guys being held will be let go now…

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Yes KT good news indeed. Can’t help wondering why the BBC still seems anti-Israeli and pro-Palestinian when it’s the Palestinians that take journos hostage.
    Still, good news about the release.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Yes you’re right Insomniac ..maybe they will change their attitude a bit now. I hope all this in someway leads to a better outcome for the whole situation over there.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Yes KT good news indeed. Can’t help wondering why the BBC still seems anti-Israeli and pro-Palestinian when it’s the Palestinians that take journos hostage.
    Still, good news about the release.

Good news indeed.

insomniac, it may have escaped your attention, but it was also Palestinians who got Alan Johnston released. Indeed, it was Hamas, no less, who on day one of their takeover of Gaza, made securing his release their top priority.

Strange old world, and not as black and white as you have painted it, I feel. 8)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Good to see baldy getting out, I won’t be buying his book though.

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

:lol: surely a book about being taken hostage would be really interesting…

….day ten….sat in the dark….day 90…sat in the dark…..

still, good that he’s out and let’s hope that this shows that there is hope here too. Remember a little while back when no one ever thought there would be an end to the Northern Ireland problems…and look where we’ve come since then….

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Posted: 04 Jul 2007 14:55 Post subject:

:lol: surely a book about being taken hostage would be really interesting…

….day ten….sat in the dark….day 90…sat in the dark…..

I reckon he could write a corker!

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Like Terry Waites book, Me and my Radiator? No thanks, I’ll give it a miss.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5463

His captors should be congratulated on forcing him to cultivate a half-decent hairstyle, for which valuable grooming advice I was fully expecting Mr Johnston to offer his sincere thanks…

…the cadaverous look is soooo 2005 Alan

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2775

Obviously great to have him back. Top PR for Hamas, hopefully they will be prepared to engage with the West now.

Was that a Palestinian lapel badge I spied on yer impartial Beeb reporter though?

Mike

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Per Grasshopper:-

nsomniac, it may have escaped your attention, but it was also Palestinians who got Alan Johnston released. Indeed, it was Hamas, no less, who on day one of their takeover of Gaza, made securing his release their top priority.

And I’m sure when/if Madeleine McCann’s kidnappers release her we’ll say what jolly decent people the kidnappers were after all!

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

insomniac,

I think that would be completely different (and sadly not a situation which I can ever envisage occurring anyway).

Unless, of course, you are blaming all Palestinians collectively for the kidnap of Alan Johnston, which seems a tad unfair.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Per Grasshopper:-
    And I’m sure when/if Madeleine McCann’s kidnappers release her we’ll say what jolly decent people the kidnappers were after all!

Bit of a cheap shot, if you don’t mind me saying so, insomniac – I expect better of you. 8)

As NV says, you either hold all Palestinians responsible for Alan Johnston’s incarceration, or you hold the Doghmush/Army Of Islam responsible.

If you hold all Palestinians responsible, then you are not familiar with the case in any way, shape or form, and shouldn’t really be commenting on it. :mrgreen:

If you are at all familiar with any of the details of this story, then you must acknowledge that Hamas were responsible for his release.

Even if you view it from a perspective of political entrenchment, it was, at the very least, a positive intervention.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

I don’t believe all Palestinians are evil or that all Israelis are beyond criticism. What I do think though is that the BBC – a taxpayer funded organisation that should (indeed has a duty to) show no bias – does not seem able to hide its anti-Israeli, pro-Palestinian sympathies. (They don’t seem too keen on telling us the EU’s democratic, economic and moral shortcomings either.)
    GH & NV- we’ve differed on here before regarding Israel and the Palestinian situation. I’m quite happy to respect your views if different from mine.
    I do though expect the BBC to give both sides of the story (Palestinian and Israeli; pro-EU and anti-EU) a fair hearing. They don’t (in my opinion).
    That a pro-Palestinian, anti-Israeli organisation kidnapped their man is rather like being bitten by the dog who’s ar@e you lick! Will it change the BBC’s anti-Israeli leanings? I doubt it.
    The BBC middle-eastern coverage seems to be run by a wing of The Guardian and their EU coverage by a wing of The Independent

(PS I take your point re. the McCann/cheap shot – :oops: )

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

insomniac, you’re point would have merit if the BBC were, without question, pro-Palestinian.

It is not the case.

It is merely your opinion, based on how you interpret their presentation/coverage.

In my opinion, the BBC does a pretty good job in terms of dispassionate coverage of the Middle East.

Maybe its a case of them presenting the facts, and you not necessarily wanting to agree with them, that makes you think they are pro-Palestinian??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.