The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ADMIRAL PEARY

Home Forums Memorials ADMIRAL PEARY

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    horsestats
    • Total Posts 52

Sad to say that Dr Prichard’s admirable old horse suffered a fatal injury (not mentioned in Racing Post) at Fontwell yesterday, though not from a fall i must add. Jockey pulled him up in back straight.

Winner of 4 races a few years back for Charlie Egerton, he was a first three finisher no less than 24 times in 41 starts.

RIP

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Thanks for the confirmation, horsestats. We had the ATR pictures on in the office and saw Oliver Dayman walk down the extreme outside of the track after the event with a couple of official-looking gentlemen, as if to suggest they were looking for a hole that the gelding had put his leg into – was that how you read the situation?

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

horsestats
    • Total Posts 52

I didn’t see what had happened and wasn’t there.

Robert Cooper confirmed the fatality on At The Races.

quixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

I loved the old Admiral, had a mind of his own & I just love characterful horses, I’ll miss him.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

"Mind of his own" is right – remember that Dr Pritchard claimed him after he’d carted McCoy through the wing of the last flight when clear (but tired) in a 3m3f Newton Abbot selling hurdle last August, leaving the Pritchard veteran Happy Hussar to win instead.

Rest easy, old boy.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.