The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A Review Of 2010

Home Forums Horse Racing A Review Of 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Well there ya go, as Mick Fitzgerald might say, as another years racing comes to a close. For what it’s worth I didn’t want to let yet another year of following this sport go without recording some thoughts for posterity. As I hit the keyboard more and more “stuff” replayed in my head, so it’s turned out long, rambling and probably poorly spelt and punctuated and as ever these remain my opinions only…

Horses

Flat best describes the flat in 2010. Workforces flop at Ascot and the will he, wont he, saga’s of Paris and the States left me wanting more. Harbinger had a too good to be true feel about him before injury kept him from more searching and revealing tests. Great racehorses are not made at two so Frankel who looked like a three year old this year still has it all to do next year. The much hyped Dewhurst proved a damp squib and whatever happened to Saint Nicholas Abbey?

Midday’s start-stop-start victory in the Nassau will be remembered, as will Goldikova for another year of low head carriage magnificence. If you’re looking for “narrative” look no further than Dan Bouy’s heartwarming season as Pontefract’s champion stayer and it was so good to see my favourite soapbox horse, Yurituni, give good accounts of herself at big prices when unleashed from the gambling hands of Harry Findlay. The unpassable and ultra-game Sea Lord must get a big mention and we’ll never forget Zenyatta.

I don’t pay as much attention to the jumps but Binoculars victory in the Champion Hurdle really took the gloss off the festival for me. On the upside, the way Twist Magic seemingly “broke” Petit Robin before dancing away with the Victor Chandler way back last January readily comes to mind, as does Master Minded’s imperious victory in last month’s Tingle Creek (he’s still only 7!). I can’t think of a national hunt victory that provided more satisfaction than Monet’s Garden in the recent Old Roan Chase. Go on Monet’s!!!

Jockeys, Trainers and Owners

Hanagan a deserved champion, Hughes a champion in all but name only. Their performances on and off (Hanagan in particular) the racetrack in 2010 make them a credit to any sport. On a personal level absolutely delighted to see Kieran Fallon do so well after all the adversity. To ride more winners than Frankie or Ryan Moore in 2010 after such a long absence says a lot about the man. It’s been surprising how long it’s taken for his strength to come back, but it looked a lot better from August onwards. The effects of the ridiculous ban on his Group 1 career remain obvious; let’s hope for better in 2011. A ride on Kinsale King in the upcoming Golden Shaheen would be a good start…(are you having that one, Carl :wink: ). Criminally I forgot to nominate Frankie for ride of the year on Dangerous Midge at Kentucky, a masterclass in how to position your horse throughout a race. The bloke is still without peers when he puts it in these days. Olivier Peslier yet again showed what a superb big race jockey he is, on any stage.

What can you say about Richard Fahy except, winner. There is so much to admire about the way he goes about his business over the course of an entire year. Wooton Basset might put him on the map next year, hope he does, he deserves it. Sir Michael continued to confirm what we already know, that he is the undisputed master of his profession in Europe, his put down of the racing media, post Arc was also masterful (granted he could do a lot better in that field in general). Probably the biggest cliché in racing these days is the re-emergence of Henry Cecil, but the hard times and health issues genuinely seem to have made him grateful for what he has and given him an appreciation of the racing public in general. That’s very gratifying for us as well. Tactical performance of the year came from Ballydoyle in the Irish Champion at Leopardstown. John Best is a trainer I have a lot of time for, would be good to see him back in the bigtime next year.

McCoy deserved all the plaudits and end of year awards. The Grand National victory another chapter in a remarkable career.

Harry Findlay through his involvement with racehorses, made an utter fool of himself (but spoke much sense on gambling matters). I felt sorry for Perlachy’s owner ,who clearly loves her gallant horse but is finding it financially tough to keep him in training. :(
    [b:2guwgaol]
    The BHA[/b:2guwgaol]

It was a very mixed year for them. I’m sure there are plenty of people who do Trojan work behind the scenes at the BHA but the public face of the authority emerges with very little credit in 2010. TRF members familiar with politics and the banking system in Ireland over the past year will see plenty of parallels with British racing’s hierarchy at the moment. Huge salaries in return for very little real benefit, ostentation in the face of penury, a funding policy that seems almost entirely focused on the elite, incompetence driven bailout requests (from Government), low morals (Betfair gate), amateurism, cronyism, quango’s (RFC), poor knowledge and the levy being asset stripped to fund fat cat pensions. Paul Struthers, an excellent communicator with a good feel for racings heartbeat is the only exception.

The Casela Park case was well handled, as was the initial verdict on the Harry Findlay laying case. The BHA website although a touch labyrinthine in layout, communicates well and has improved a lot in recent years.

[b:2guwgaol]Racing For Change[/b:2guwgaol]

As a daily UK racing punter, I have experienced no impact positive or negative by their involvement with racing over the last 18 months. They deserve credit for trying and a big well done for the McCoy campaign, but up to now the tinkering is another example of a negative cost/benefit initiative in racing. That said I wish them well with the Champions Day project next year, it will probably be their defining moment. If I was involved, I’d be on the next QR002 to Doha to meet Pearl Bloodstocks, Sheikh Fahd Al Thani. These Qatari boys are swimming in money and willing to part with any amount of it for a bit of overseas recognition these days. Ascot would fit the bill quite nicely.

[b:2guwgaol]Racing Media[/b:2guwgaol]

The media plays a huge part in any sports commercial success these days. Look at Beckham (front row centre) getting a lifetime achievement award at the recent BBC do, and compare that with his ex-team mate Paul Scholes, not even on the radar for such an award. Yet who’s achieved more in football…? As opposed to who’s got more media presence? Who wins the award….

2010 wasn’t a bad year for the racing media as intelligent voices of concern continued to emerge.

ATR – Two fine booth presenters in Boyce and Chapman, who deserved his award this year. Very good ex-curricular coverage of racing in the form of The Sunday Forum, The Form Factor, International and Irish racing review, ratings discussion and interviews(Henry Cecil and Mark Johnston in particular). Add in a very good free website that upgraded its content and continued its development this year. Their racecourse presenters are a very mixed bunch and the big weakness in their setup, although Gary O’Brien is exceptional. Mick Fitzgerald was always an articulate and interesting jockey to listen to in his saddle days; he hasn’t carried that through to his broadcasting career yet.

RUK – A very consistent year again in 2010. Their extracurricular weakness is ATR’s strength so maybe both stations complement each other in that respect. I was very critical of Lydia Hislops take on the Binocular Champion Hurdle story but overall the lady had a very good year. Whether it was pertinent questioning of Seamus Buckley’s watering policy at Glorious Goodwood , asking John Gosden why he hadn’t declared cheekpieces on one of his Newmarket runners, standing on the Knavesmire at the Ebor meeting analysing pace and draw bias, paddock analysing a group of unraced 2yo’s in the pissing rain at a backend Nottingham maiden, in a depth and detail that would have done an Epsom paddock in June proud, or addressing the issues on RUK studio evenings, etc…etc…etc…you’d have to say she is a huge asset to Racing UK and racing in general. Steve Mellish remained a modest, authoritative, encyclopaedia of racing. For whatever reason, Eddie Fremantle and Graham Cunningham mange to remain credible and seemingly piss nobody off at the same time. Angus McNae has morphed into a fine studio anchor; I particularly enjoyed the Kempton studio coverage when Dave Nevision and he were doing it in 2010. Nick Luck had a good year in keeping with his own very high standards, he even came off the fence a time or two with very forthright views on the Betfair-gate story and a searching interview of Richard Osgood the weekend he (Osgood) and some senior jockeys had a major difference of opinion on the state of the ground at Newbury. He did very good interviews with Criquette and Freddie Head towards the end of the flat season. The independent views of Jonathan Neeson also deserve a positive mention. RUK’s northern presentation with the exception of Graham Cunningham remained below average in 2010.

Channel 4 – I find it a difficult watch. Granted they broadcast to a more general audience but I’m tired of the sickly sweet Cattermole, and Francome, who’s been on broadcasting autopilot for the last 15 years, the fawning Plunkett and the gibbering Alastair Down. The star of the show and best pundit they have, Tanya Stevenson remains a background figure in their coverage for whatever reason. I’d like to see her on RUK, she knows her stuff. Overall, Channel 4 Racing added very little to my attraction to the sport of horseracing in 2010.

BBC – Clare Balding did a fine job anchoring the Beeb this year, she’s a Group winner amongst platers on their imminently missable horseracing coverage. The less said about her co-presenters the better, except to say I don’t know which target audience the Beeb are hoping to satisfy with their current setup. Matt Dawson at Goodwood was an unmitigated disaster.

Racing’s print media remained largely the same in 2010. Useless, North Korean parasites, toothless and neutered in amongst some proper sports journalists, in less than equal measure. The Guardian continued its fine work, well clear of the opposition; Chris Cook has been a very good addition to their team and Greg Wood’s live blogs, (Breeders Cup in particular) were excellent. Chris McGrath returned to some kind of form with heartfelt articles in The Independent. On the internet, Sean Boyce’s blog has become essential reading, its pragmatism has surprised me. Mark Davies, Simon Rowlands , Paul Ostermeyer and The Dark Knight also deserve credit for putting intelligent thought to blog this past year. I still can’t find a good reason to buy The Racing Post although much credit to them for the live reporter feature on their website.

Paul Nicholls seems to take communication with the racing public as an integral part of his job and was again outstanding in this regard in 2010. Funnily enough being open about his horses hasn’t detracted an iota from his success and long may it continue. A big well done to him for all of his success this year.

The racing insider, North Korean “shoot defectors on sight” policy continued. Jonathan Neesom was allegedly verbally assaulted at Goodwood by Harry Findlay for having the temerity to question his partially successful ban appeal, the latter having being found guilty of laying his own horses on Betfair. Davy Russell made an ungracious tit of himself post RSA victory by having a go at John McCririck for the cardinal sin of expressing an opinion. Ted Walsh weighed into the same argument and will apparently refuse to pick the big man up if he collapses beside him, again for expressing an opinion. Lydia Hislop had to endure some vile mocking from George Baker (trainer) and some pal of McCoys in the Daily Mail, again for expressing an opinion. Speaking of McCoy, another bloke who made an absolute tit of himself in his standoff with RUK towards the end of the year. His buddy Thornton wasn’t too far behind in his Racing Post column, his “mute” button comments left me thinking he needs the take the wool (hair?) from over his eyes. Simon Holt made similar comments on the Get Me Out Of Here, Ascot run, but funnily enough Channel 4 are not affected by the McCoy ban, so maybe its personal but we all have to suffer. Racing UK has been very good to McCoy over the years. A £250 a year subscription is a lot of money to some people, something a million pound sportsman might want to bear in mind going forward. Anyway let’s hope they sort it out, although I sincerely hope both RUK staff involved do not apologise, for they have nothing to apologise for.

In many ways in 2010 when it came to the sport selling itself for commercial survival, many on the inside in racing remain an absolute parody of themselves.

[b:2guwgaol]The Racing Forum[/b:2guwgaol]

The layout, speed and navigation of the forum continued to frustrate in 2010 (sort it out ffs). A few of our regulars seem to be posting in inverse proportion to their progress in the regular racing media these days, which is a pity but understandable I guess. But we’ve gained some excellent new contributors as well. The very dark, Jose’s, thread in “Trends and Research” has been a good follow, Mr Wilson’s speed figure work I’ve found very interesting, the clarity and level headedness of Imperial Call stands out, Pinza expresses himherself in a highly readable way and Miss Woodford has increased my knowledge of American racing this year. Of the elders a special thank you to Drone and Maxilon for another year of high quality output plus King Polemic himself, Glenn. Last but not least, Pinza mentioned on another thread how TRF remains very well moderated but never bland and that’s a tribute to the great leader himself, Cormack, big well done to you Sir!

Punting

2010 was a bad year for me on the punting front. I’ve lost a lot of money this year. Having turned an annual profit of 12% from June08- June09 to small stakes, I upped my win stake considerably from June 09 onwards and was almost 12% ahead again between June and the end of Oct 09 winning good money on Betfair and I seriously thought I had the game cracked. The markets seemed to change from November 09 onwards, the value seemed to disappear as the prices tightened up and I started to leak money, which became a familiar theme as 2010 progressed. I still think it was Belfair accommodating mug layers themselves through Malta that caused the change. I found losing hard to come to terms with after winning so regularly in the previous year and a half. I started to fiddle, force, change things and along with a stupid, impulsive, mid four figure single lay bet that went spectacularly wrong, managed to wipe out almost everything I had made in the second half of 2009. Of course if I had just stuck to what I was doing I would have lost much less. I haven’t punted much from June 2010 onwards spending time doing research instead. I’m back in again since November, with reduced stakes and it’s been encouraging, the Betfair markets seem to have normalised a bit. Overall I’m still happy to have punted from June09-June10 to what I consider decent money and have broken even, considering I punt from the Middle East and have no access to anyone inside racing. I remain very happy with the high turnover approach and I’ve learnt a lot these past 18 months which I hope to put to good use in 2011. I remain convinced it can be done and even more convinced that managing yourself through losing runs is the most important quality in any successful gambler, bar none. As a protest against how racing is being run at the moment I’ll be paying less levy for the foreseeable future by continuing to bet to smaller stakes, regardless of any success I have.

[b:2guwgaol]Highpoints – Lowpoints[/b:2guwgaol]

Much to its enduring credit, British Racing with all of its good and bad continues to openly discuss and debate the good and the bad within the sport. True, some of the discussion is not always in the mainstream, but the fact that it happens at all is healthy. It doesn’t happen in Ireland. The legendary silks of Storm Bird and The Minstrel reduced to a duck egg gamble in a Newmarket Seller during the summer provided a disappointing low point.

[b:2guwgaol]2011[/b:2guwgaol]

It would be great to think the Tote will get sorted out next year. That we’ll finally have a low takeout non laying alternative to Betfair, where racing benefits directly. I don’t hold out much hope though. I’ve a feeling it will be at best a fudge of the current Tote, or at worst a total balls up with some bookmaker taking it over. For whatever reason, the people who run racing continue to ignore and drive away the answer to all of their problems, the punter. As a non-owner I’ve come to realise how important half decent prizemoney is to horseracing. True, it is a hobby but that prizemoney filters its way down to the lifeblood of the sport, the backroom staff without whom there’d be no racing in the first place.

In increasingly harsh winters, it’s very unfair to expect the lower end, all weather trainers and owners to effectively keep the sport on the map, with all the extra work that entails for them, and pay them a pittance in reward (if their lucky enough to have a winner). Those who supposedly represent them should wake up and do something about that in the new year.

I’d like to see the introduction of more neutral and experienced race-readers onto stewarding panels. Regional teams of independent going assessors would be welcome. Actual race day distances measured by GPS, and a more standardised official formbook should be easily achievable. More technology applied to raceday television broadcasts should be a priority next year. A weekly racing magazine show, broadcast on terrestrial television broadly along the lines of “Mark You Card” presented by intelligent people (no ex jockeys or Racing Post staff need apply) could work. What about consideration for moving the big race of the day to the end of the card. It works really well with the Breeders Cup, builds the excitement nicely, if it’s done properly.

Overall in 2011, I’d like racings leaders to listen more to its customers. We are the ones who can dig you out of this mess if you work with us, not the FTSE100 companies who you insist on futilely chasing around various tax dodge islands.

Finally, a massive thank you to the real heroes of the sport in 2010, the horses. Particularly the ones who gave their lives on and off the racecourse.

They are the real sports personalities.

They are compelling.

They are magnificent.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

An enjoyable post Cav. Thanks for sharing. Don’t agree about a flat year in 2010, horses like Harbinger, Goldikova, Workforce and Frankel, Canford Cliffs etc. and with four of them staying in training, plenty to look forward to in 2011.

Some very good observations, particularly regarding Pearl Bloodstock, I expect them to big players at Group 1 level, if not next year, by 2012.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Really enjoyable post Cav. Interesting and thought provoking and I only counted 19 spelling mistakes :wink:

Also can’t agree with you about the flat season which I thoroughly enjoyed. Anyone who was at Newmarket on Champions Day will never forget it and Zenyatta in the BC will also live long in my memory.

Agree that Frankel has it all to do next year but then so do all the other 2 year olds! For what it’s worth and having seen him in the flesh, I can’t agree that he is already a 3 year old. Galileo simply doesnt produce precocious 2 year olds anyway. Still, we’ll all know in a few months. A great racehorse? Perhaps not yet. But a great 2 year old.

Happy New Year to you too!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

May I add my appreciation too CR

An enjoyable, thoughtful essay

Good of you to mention Mr Wilson’s speedfigures; he’s a strange lad but they were undoubtedly interesting and novel

Can’t say I take heart from your losing year but it is at least cool comfort following the shock of a losing 2009 for me. Actually turned it round this year into a ~4.3% net profit but I’ve really not been punting with any conviction, regularity or, in truth, much enjoyment this year. Barely over 50 bets and a turnover of less than 10K, so the profit in real terms is of no consequence and given the small sample probably statistically insignificant anyway.

The verve, determination, tunnel vision and confidence seem to have evaporated. So much so that looking back through my betting records elicits thoughts of ‘bloody hell, how did I do that?’

Hey ho, here’s to 2011. Happy new year to you too and may your bottom line be black (or green)

Finally, a massive thank you to the real heroes of the sport in 2010, the horses. Particularly the ones who gave their lives on and off the racecourse.

They are the real sports personalities.

They are compelling.

They are magnificent.

Yep finally, first and forever. I’ll certainly never tire of them

Ems
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11

I don’t post much on here, but I read it regularly, and loved the review ( although not agreeing with all of it).
    The highs and lows are always there – seeing horses progress through their careers, and following youngsters to see them blossom. Then the heart wrenching losses of horses like Twist Magic. It is why I love it – right from making my first pound on a horse called "My cup of tea" at Newton Abbot – to the undoubted highlight of this year which was to see Saddlers Wells in the flesh ( along with the others at Coolmore at the time). Seeing him surveying his domain and looking so amazing for his age, was right up there with watching Red Rum open the local bookies far more years ago than I will own up to.

• Total Posts 2432

Great review, Cav – enjoyed reading that and agree with much of it. Thought the flat season was the dullest for a long time, but I was pretty much preoccupied with the mad politics (Betfairgate, R4C, Topping, Chandler and the Parasites) which overshadowed the sport more than it has ever done.

However, this AW season is proving the best fun for a long time. The favourite orgies of the last two years appear to have abated; a value punter can work hard and make a few quid without just waiting for shorteners in the last two minutes before off time.

Love the point about Sangster and his association with Findlay. His Dad – a gambler who is to Findlay what Botticelli is to Rolf Harris – would be looking up from below and shaking his head.

Two wishes for 2011. That Silvoir et al would have a look at the confidence sapping antics of stables like Curley and the Quinlan Brothers with much more seriousness than they have done in the past. And two, that Tregoning has a season to remember rather than one to forget.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

A few of our regulars seem to be posting in inverse proportion to their progress in the regular racing media these days, which is a pity but understandable I guess.

:?: Hadn’t sensed any letting up of TRF activity especially, just of not getting into as many fights over every last

racing-is-bent-and-there’s-too-much-of-it-and-meantime-look-how-much-I’ve-won

type of thread. Apologies if having given that impression. :oops:

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Thanks all.

Maybe we were spoilt in 2008 with New Approach, Ravens Pass, Curlin, Duke Of Marmalade, HenryTheNavigator, Big Brown, Conduit and by Sea The Stars with his perfect season last year. 2010 just didn’t capture the imagination for some reason, for sure all the politicking didn’t help. That said, the 2 days of the 2010 Cheveley Park meeting were compelling and its so good to have Workforce around next year.

Agree with your observation re the markets Max, I’ve noticed some normalisation as well.

Point noted, Jeremy. It

seems

we have less input from a few…If that’s because their paid to express opinions elsewhere and its what they do for a living, then it’s entirely understandable.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

managing yourself through losing runs is the most important quality in any successful gambler, bar none.

Completely agree, and it’s an aspect of punting that’s rarely discussed on this forum.
    Anyone who’s following the current saga on UKBT – where 2 erstwhile good punters have watched their tipping service cave in, for exactly the same reason – must think; "There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Great post Cavelino.

I’d agree with both viewpoints on the 2010 flat season in as much that there were some exceptional horses across a range of disciplines (2-y-o, milers, middle distance, fillies), equine and human, but despite all that the season somehow lacked that bit of sparkle. Possibly because, in spite of the collection of great horses, there was no great individual race.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Only reason I don’t post on here as much as I used to is because of the site speed and general unreliability. The fact that it’s taken me 3 days to be able to post this point says it all really.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Agreed.

Performance of this site is

poor

I’m afraid – I get pop-ups, log outs, slow loading etc all the time…

A shame, but I feel this forum has really lost its way over the past couple of years.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

……I miss Gerald [sob]. I hope he’s alive and well on ‘the dark side’…….

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

……I miss Gerald [sob]. I hope he’s alive and well on ‘the dark side’…….

Lest we forget also,

Zarkava, Goldikova, Big Bucks, Cheltenham specialist, Seabird, Halfwaytoheaven

,etc All good posters

• Total Posts 2432

Faceboll ocks, Blagger, Twatter and the comment sections of online news organs have pretty much done for little old message boards, sadly.

I’d rather go swimming off Sharmh-Al Sheikh dragging a hyperactive rabbit behind me than get involved in all that Narcissistic nonsense but there you go – I guess I’m out the loop on this one. Never did like change much.

Open access, anonymous, opinion-based Message boards are about as trendy as Slade and fashionable as bubble lamps. No wonder people leave.

Every time I post here I feel like that bemused Stegosaurus who looked up into the sky to see the luminous dust clouds blacking out the sun.

Still. It ain’t The Dark Side and that’s a reason for celebration. :D

• Total Posts 2432

I have to agree about the IT issues though. Lost a post earlier with the Login problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Faceboll ocks, Blagger, Twatter and the comment sections of online news organs have pretty much done for little old message boards, sadly.

I’d rather go swimming off Sharmh-Al Sheikh dragging a hyperactive rabbit behind me than get involved in all that Narcissistic nonsense but there you go – I guess I’m out the loop on this one. Never did like change much.

Open access, anonymous, opinion-based Message boards are about as trendy as Slade and fashionable as bubble lamps. No wonder people leave.

Every time I post here I feel like that bemused Stegosaurus who looked up into the sky to see the luminous dust clouds blacking out the sun.

Still. It ain’t The Dark Side and that’s a reason for celebration. :D

Not so sure I’d agree with all that, Max?
    While blogging must have an effect (from what little I know of it) it seems a very parochial way of communicating, with nothing like the breadth and interest of a forum of TRF’s size, and Facebook, Twitter, etc. appear to be the domain of a younger generation than those that frequent most racing message boards.
    What’s more of a worry (imo) is when established members of the calibre of DJ, TDK, Grasshopper and Pompete, express their disquiet at the inability to even post on the forum, and the suspicion that nothing more permanent or effective will be done about it than has been for the past 12 months or so.
    In the interest of the forum content itself, it cannot go on bleeding members as it is doing, and it’s high time there was a change of either IT personnel, or of message board host. Might appear a retrograde step to some, but the board was so much easier to navigate and post on, when it just concentrated on opinions.
    All imo, of course.

Posted, ironically, after 5 logins and cut & pastes, a hiatus of 45 secs while it updated, and a final message in the middle of my monitor, asking if I would like to join The Racing Forum, :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.