The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A horrible spectale

Home Forums Horse Racing A horrible spectale

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Agree Marlingford (even though I think I’ve been one of the culprits in Memorials!). I applaud the jockeys who pulled their horses up when it was clear they weren’t taking to the course. Particular shout to Tom O’Brien, even though Deise Aba was one I’d backed. The horse was obviously hating it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 960

Having walked the course twice this week I was amazed at how small the fences looked, especially Beecher’s.

I’ll need to watch the race again but for me they can’t do much more to make this race safer.

And I totally agree that they could have jumped the 19th, just direct the horses to the outer half of the jump.

Illavim
    Participant
    • Total Posts 764

If there is an injured horse behind the green screens and you need to keep it as still and calm as possible while it is being treated/assessed then keeping the rest of the field as far away as possible when galloping past is the best thing to do.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

^ This.

…And the need for everyone to know what’s to be done. Best to keep to the same rules for every fence. Otherwise you’re more likely to get some jumping the fence and others missing it.
    How far away does the injured horse need to be for those in charge to say they can all jump the fence?
    And it could look uncaring to let horses jump the same fence a stricken horse is at.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Excellent points made by Marlingford too. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Not sure this result is going to be good for the Grand National as a whole. No problem with 7 year olds, but a novice winning the Grand National.
    May get far more inexperienced chasers in future and many will not jump as well as the winner today.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Sad to hear that Discorama couldn’t be saved. Sort of injury that happens all the time though, even on the flat.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5976

Wonder where they’ll go with the winner , no doubt the national again but at barely 7 will they have a pop or two at a graded races ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Sorry to hear about Discorama… What a bad year for Paul Nolan after losing another stable star a few months ago (Latest Exhibition).

Still a fantastic performance from the winner, the winning jockey, the winning trainer, the very shrewd former owner Paul Byrne. Well done, gentlemen!!!

@Marlingford
    : Your posts are always well thought and great to read. I would say you could be a women. Though talking about gender nowadays might get you into serious trouble.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

@ Ginge: The Toytown was a pretty decent trial for a nov chs.

Ahoy Senor won the G1 yesterday and they’re already talking about the 2023 Gold Cup, Saint Palais who was beaten into 4th by 24 lengths won a Class 2 race at Uttoxeter next time out and Ashtown Lad was fifth in the Scottish National a week ago. Nothing wrong with such a decent chase, even for novices.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Probably wouldn’t go as far as saying it was a horrible spectacle but that many fallers really wasn’t great viewing was it

Participant
    • Total Posts 1833

Seemed a bulk standard modern National in terms of fallers, etc.
    Dont know what the fuss is about in here, quite frankly.
    If you have reservations about jumps racing then dont follow it. There is nowt more that can be done now to make it safer, without completely ruining it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

Has anyone stopped to consider that making the fences smaller and softer means they go much faster than back in the day?

Apart from jockeying for position going to the first – and unusual front runners like Crisp – they used to hunt round the first circuit and race the second.

Nowadays it’s an end-to-end gallop both circuits and actually more of a test of stamina than when the race was a longer trip.

You can never make it entirely safe.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

“Dont know what the fuss is about in here, quite frankly.
    If you have reservations about jumps racing then dont follow it. There is nowt more that can be done now to make it safer, without completely ruining it.”

Spot on.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

I agree with Wilts and TTC.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Sorry, but if you can’t accept the opinion that running around stricken horses behind green screens is a horrible spectacle, then you shouldn’t bother posting in the first place.

St Gatien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 57

Having worked in stables, nothing
    worse than one not coming home and a empty box.
    I would like to see the field size reduced.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.