The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A horrible spectale

Home Forums Horse Racing A horrible spectale

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Can’t understand people complaining about the GN course being too easy and fences too soft. Many, many fallers and horses behind green screens are a horrible spectacle. Maybe the ground was too fast after all, I don’t know. There were many horses being pulled up even without completing the first circuit.

May they all rest in peace

Participant
    • Total Posts 4719

All? How many died?

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Rubys had a shocker here.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

The winning time was 0.94 seconds faster than standard, that’s Good ground in my book.

I wouldn’t attribute any fatalities to the ground.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Let us not rush to judgement. Aintree is reporting no fatalities although at least one horse is being assessed.

Illavim
    Participant
    • Total Posts 764

None reported so far, RUK said all horses back in the stables, some further assessments being carried out.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

On the issue of the ground: what sort of ground should the race be run on?

If a race is in April, it is not likely to be on soft ground. Are we really expecting the clerk of the course to put about an inch of water on the track?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

It was still about 17 seconds than Mr Frisk in 1990 when the race was run over further.

Two horses died that year – and two died the previous year when the ground was Heavy.

There was nothing wrong with the ground today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Silly decision to go around the 19th (the widest fence on the course). Could easily have jumped the outer two-thirds of the fence and was arguably more dangerous to squeeze the field through the narrow gap on the outside.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

I hope the horses behind the screens were just being treated for some sort of minor injuries. But I’m under the impression that the first circuit was very fast. The fences still take some jumping and even though I followed Ben Linfoot’s advice two days ago and backed the winner at 66/1 for minor money, the horses’ welfare still comes first.

Many experienced jumpers made quite bad mistakes without falling. I don’t if the fences were stiffer this year, which I don’t believe, but they looked more demanding. It’s not that I’m against races over the National fences, but today’s race wasn’t enjoyable. Same applies to all races with horses treated behind screens.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Ruby, saying “may they all rest in peace” before any fatalities are confirmed, is both sensationalist and stupid mate.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

The same fences were used in the Foxhunters’ and the Topham without major incident the previous two days.

This whole thread seems a gigantic premature over reaction tbh – all the horses are ok, aren’t they?

seemorebusiness
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

All horses back in stables. Discorama and Eclair surf both being assessed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Yes, all horses okay according to the RP. Despite eleven fallers and eleven pulled up and a few unseats.
    That would be fantastic news, let’s hope that’s not premature.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

I think there are some concerns about Discorama and Eclair Surf, let’s keep our fingers very much crossed for them.

Ruby, I think horses being pulled up after a circuit if they clearly aren’t in with a chance is a good thing. This happens in most Nationals.

Participant
    • Total Posts 660

I cannot agree that the race was a horrid spectacle , but if that’s another persons opinion then so be it. Some folks just love to post the bad news at the earlist opportunity, I did comment that there would be a race to post on the Memorial forum today , it is odd to me that we need to know such news so soon. There were no obviously distressing scenes to my eyes, even when the horses I backed dropped out of contention.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

I’ve certainly got involved in a few debates about the tone of posts in the Memorials section. But one thing I will say is that I think the posts made on this forum, including Ruby’s above, come from a well-intentioned place and from caring about the horses. I don’t believe this is always so on wider social media.

And wanting confirmation of the wellbeing of the horses ASAP seems entirely reasonable, even if it isn’t always realistic.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.