The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A fully deserved 21 day ban for Havlin

Home Forums Horse Racing A fully deserved 21 day ban for Havlin

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

And let’s be honest, almost no one deserves it more than this professional NT.
    Well, maybe De Sousa of course….

Here is Jason Weaver’s view:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/race-reports/very-very-kid-gloves-jason-weaver-questions-havlin-ride-on-lingfield-second/485753

But how much should Silvestre get? He can’t get away just like that since it was even worse…

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3467

If the horse had won by a nose he wouldnt have gotten banned, which is part of a wider problem, the rules are clear, ride the horse to finish in the best position possible.

the AW seems to be rife for this type of ride.

21 days is fine, but banning the horse from running for a few months will end these rides. As the owners will ensure it does not happen.

Its one thing a trainer leaving a horse unfit, a jockey purposely losing for some unknown reason is a problem

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 611

Let’s be honest here. No one cares. In that I mean the stewards or the BHA. This happens a lot more often than is publicised.
    It is horse racing at it’s worst however like every other thing in life things move on and this will be forgotten.
    Others will make excuses but all in all it was a shocking ride and until they ban jockeys rather than the horse nothing will change

Moody Man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 47

Just watched the replay – hmm.
    No consistency at all. Compared to Silvestre on Stone Of Destiny the other day, Rab finished like a lunatic…

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

An enquiry was held into the running and riding of STOWELL, ridden by Robert Havlin and trained by John
    and Thady Gosden, which, after breaking well, was settled behind the leaders for the majority of the race, before being urged along under an apparently tender hands and heels ride rounding the final bend and up the straight to finish second, beaten by a diminishing head. The rider and the trainers’ representative were interviewed and shown recordings of the race; the Veterinary Officer reported that two post-race examinations of the colt failed to reveal any abnormalities.

The rider stated that his instructions were to settle the colt and ride him to obtain his best possible position. He added that STOWELL was a fragile type who had a high knee action, and that John Gosden had instructed him to ride the colt hands and heels and not to use his whip. Havlin stated that he was happy with his position in behind the leaders but added that the pace had slowed at half-way which he felt had not benefitted the colt. He added that upon entering the final bend he was caught on the heels of SCAMPI, after which he switched to the inside and the colt ran on well inside the final half furlong. He further stated that, in his opinion, the winner was idling in front and therefore it appeared that STOWELL had finished faster than he actually had and that in time, the colt would likely benefit from racing on turf with ease in the ground. The trainers’ representative stated that he was happy with the ride and that it accorded with the instructions given and that they were very pleased with this, STOWELL’s first run.
    Havlin was suspended for failing to take all reasonable and permissible measures to ensure STOWELL obtained his best possible placing, in that after getting a clear run in the straight, the colt had not been asked for a sufficient effort. Taking into account how well STOWELL ran on up the straight despite being tenderly ridden, and the diminishing distance that the colt was beaten, Havlin was suspended for 21 days.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Just watched this. Maybe my expectations of seeing something terrible had been raised by the length of the ban. But I have to say that was not the worst ride I have ever seen. The horse travelled well enough, got trapped on the inside and caught a bit flat footed but then ran on well against a horse who was slowing down and just failed to get up.

De Sousa’s ride last week was far worse.

It will be interesting to see if Havlin appeals.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Cork, the horse didn’t get trapped. The horses ahead of him where at least two horse widths out from the rail. There was lots of room up the inside. And then on the run in he didn’t use his whip, he just pretended to bounce up and down in the drive position.

Does anyone have a replay to De Sousas ride. I’ve seen plenty about it but missed the race

Participant
    • Total Posts 1442

Wexford, I would recommend that you don’t watch the ride last week from De Sousa, it will just make you angry. It’s the worst I’ve seen for a long time. The verdict on the racing post results page is just laughable.

Havlin was bad yesterday, and I would say that 21 days is about right, but as Cork says, De Sousa was significantly worse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Wexford, just watched it again and fair enough – he did not get trapped.

Not a great ride by any means but I have certainly seen worse, starting with SDS.

It makes racing look ridiculous when the stewarding is so poor and inconsistent.

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

Trainers should be getting penalised Gosden basically said go easy on him, not atall fair for punters

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I have no problem with giving horses an easy time on debut

But if they have half a chance of winning or placing they have got to be ridden hard enough to obtain their best possible position

Havlin hasn’t pushed that horse at all, one proper shove and it wins

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

Just watched it was against a Gosden first string hahaha typical 100% was not allowed to win, totally obvious. reminds me of it CLEARLY happening in a hurdle race I think it was the kempton grade 1 Christmas hurdle verdana blue beating the first string odds on fav buveur D’air without trying too hard. He got an earful from the first strings jockey geraghty on the finish line ‘you weren’t meant to win you bell end’
    Yep skull duggery in a grade 1 check it out!

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

‘I have no problem with giving horses an easy time on debut’

Really? How are punters meant to know who’s out for a feeler and who’s out to try 100%?

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

We cant and dont so you should tread carefully in those races, which I would assume everyone already does anyway

Going full bore on debut can ruin a horse

Most of the top trainers aim to give the horse a pleasant experience on debut with a view to the future

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

Fair views final furlong! I don’t bet in such races but would possibly have a bet if I was paddock watching.

Father_Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 187

And he’s appealing !!! Should be no recourse to and they should double the penalty for petulance but you know something, he’ll probably get off….

jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

Appealing :negative: he s**t himself when the horse picked up and would of no doubt won

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.