The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A few Q's

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bigpike89
    • Total Posts 13

I’m keen, and can follow a lot of whats said on here, but want to learn and understand more.

I have a few Q;s

Starting simply with

1) When someone says ‘Back XYZ@4/1 <b>2pts</b> win’ what are the 2points for/mean?

2) When a horse is a bit green/black in type – what do these mean?

3) (I have a decent idea about this like but may as well ask) How is a horses rating calculated?

4. (Following on from Question 3) Someone told me yesterday form is not finishing in a place/winning, its RUNNING TO THE HORSES RATING……..so if a horse is say 146, how would it run to its rating……of 146 and not say, better or worse?
    Is their some sort of set ‘performance’ that merits that EXACT mark or something?

5. A horses rating is calculated, it wins a race, new rating calculated, how does the handicapper decide HOW MUCH weight rise in the next handicap to allocate it?

6. (AND COMPLETELY RANDOM QUESTION)
    How do you get an Arc ticket/Get to Longchamps from Paris?

Cheers

Thomas <!– s:D –>:D<!– s:D –>

• Total Posts 4293

1) The points are whatever your staking unit is. For instance, one person’s basic unit might be £5.. So, 1pt = £5, 2pts = £10, 4pts = £20.

2) Green just means inexperienced, not knowing what to do, same as greenhorn.

The top races, Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, and I think Listed races as well, are described as blacktype. That is because these races are in blacktype in sales catalogues and pedigree reports. That is why the term is often used about fillies. If a filly has earned blacktype (ie, won or been placed in a Group race), then it will show up in blacktype in both her and her progeny’s record.

3, 4 and 5. Erm, it is my bedtime. No time.

6. The Bois de Boulogne is on the west side of Paris. Longchamp is in the southwest bit of the Bois de Boulogne. There are some very interesting ladies in the Bois de Boulogne at night. Just buy a ticket for Longchamp when you turn up. They rack up the prices for the Arc meeting, and it costs 2 euros to park a car in the middle of the course, and I think 8 euros for an entrance ticket!

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Hi Thomas.
    The "points" staking system is meant to be an indication of how strong the tipster’s confidence is in the bet: Pricewise for example usually advises 1 point, occasionally two and I think very seldom three. The amount per point is obviously different for each individual punter- one point to you might be a tenner, or could be 50 grand for Harry Findlay.
    A horse being "green" means it is showing it’s inexperience, usually by not running in a straight line! Watch some early-season 2 year old maidens and you’ll soon see some examples.
    Black type refers to bold print in a sales catalogue which indicates that a horse achieved a placing in a Listed race or better- it is especially valuable for a filly or mare to achieve this as it increases their value considerably.
    Ratings are just an opinion- in the case of Official Ratings, the opinion of the Official Handicapper. He watches all the races he is reponsible for and works out the relative merits of the horses to come up with Official Handicap Marks. As horses compete, winning and losing, these ratings rise and fall to try and give every horse an equal chance if they run in a handicap race.
    To say a horse ran to it’s rating is again a matter of opinion, but suggests that it performed exactly as the Handicapper expected it to. Raising and lowering of ratings is again a matter of opinion- the Handicapper is expected to assess how much the horse improved when winning (if at all) and raise its mark by that amount.
    You don’t need tickets for the Arc, just turn up and pay in- it’s not expensive. As far as I can remember there are buses and Metro running there, others may tell you more.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Tar Gerry. Going to bed early aren’t you? :lol:

I noticed its mostly Fillys (like you said) to because Muthabara was described as ‘black in type’ and ‘behind in her coat’ last year.

ANYONE GOT THE ANSWERS TO 3,4,5?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Tar lads.

However what I’m saying is, does Phil Smith (sure he’s a fellow scouser?) literally do some mathematical sum and sit there and say ‘well this horse won by 12 lengths and weighed this much DO DEY BU LA multliplied by XYZ = New Rating’?

Now I know Kauto Star is rated 194, now is that done off some EQUATION or is it just a general rule of thumb that CLASSY horses go in the ‘190’ sphere of things?

Also where do I find the official ratings?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

So for Pricewise – how much money is 1pt?

• Total Posts 4293

Get up at 4am.
    Catch train at 4.51am.
    Start work at 6am.

"Black in type" sounds different, not sure about that.

I’ll provide an answer to 3, 4 and 5 tomorrow, or might just cobble something together from something I wrote a few months ago.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Get up at 4am.
    Catch train at 4.51am.
    Start work at 6am.

"Black in type" sounds different, not sure about that.

I’ll provide an answer to 3, 4 and 5 tomorrow, or might just cobble something together from something I wrote a few months ago.

Oh, sorry Gerry, :lol: Have a good sleep :wink:

And look forward to your explanation tomorrow, oh and me and you going head to head with your punts in that maiden at Wolverhampton :)

(you’ll probs win like)

• Total Posts 4293

1 pt isn’t really a sum of money, more a number, in the sense that 2pts is twice as much as 1pt, and 6pts is 3 times as much as 2pts.

For Bulwark, 1 point might be £5, for me £2, for Carvillshill £100, and for Gordon Wilson £1,000.

The idea is that pricewise can’t tell us all to bet £100 on such-and-such a horse – I for one, might not be able to afford it. But if pricewise says put 2 points on, then , well not many of us take notice of other perople’s tips anyway, Bulwark would put £10 on, I would put £4, Carvillshill would put £200 on, and Gordon Wilson would put £2,000 on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.