The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A DIFFERENT APPROACH’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A DIFFERENT APPROACH’

Viewing 17 posts - 834 through 850 (of 1,334 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Gord what you think of KINGSTON HILL and other horses in racingpost trophy at weekend i forgive CENTURY hated ground i do not think winner will cause my AUSTRALIA any problems at Epsom on fast ground

Any thoughts on irish racing as well am sure Tommy be coming on soon saying that his DEFY LOGIC took 1st steps on to arkle glory today :) he did ok today.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I love it when Bookmakers dont see the same race as me,dozens of times over the years I’ve spotted a horse and thought….Target? Arguably my greatest achievement was backing

Harbinger

back in Aug 09 at 25/1 for the 2010 King George at Ascot after finishing stone cold last in the Voltigeur as a hotpot fav.What makes that particular wager so satisfying was the fact I’d also backed

Workforce

at 25/1 for the 2010 Derby and then the Arc at 40’s,in between those 2 fantastic victories ‘Workforce’ went off the odds-on fav for that very King George and lost to his 4yo Stablemate.Me being TAPK of course told all and sundry that for all the impression ‘Harbinger’ made on lightening fast ground at Ascot that historical day he wouldn’t beat ‘Workforce’ in the Arc on slower ground,the rest they say is history.Steve Mellish was a significant benefactor from ‘Workforce’ too that year,Good judge that fellow.Talking of good judges and coups I remember Steves right hand ‘man’ Lydia Hyslop waxing lyrical about my horse

Albertas Run

after he won a minor Nov chase at Cheltenham in November 07,I agreed with her every word about how he could be a serious player for the following years RSA,he traded at 16/1 after that and duly landed the big Novice chase over 3m at the festival.I’d like to know these 2 fine presenters views on this seasons RSA Winner,

Shutthefrontdoor

.Corals obviously aren’t watching the same horse going 25/1 today,good old Corals.

Shutthefrontdoor

£50 e/w 25/1 Corals RSA 2014.

I’ll see your

Shutthefrontdoor

and raise you a

Bright New Dawn

Gord, I’m on at 40s :wink: I’m sure we’ll be seeing my fella out jumping a fence in the next fortnight or so, although he’s not entered anywhere yet. Chasing’s in this lad’s blood, it’s was he was born to do and he’s a massive RSA player for March.

We’ve got to give old Dessie

one

winner at the festival eh Gord, we know he won’t be getting it in the Champion Hurdle 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I love it when Bookmakers dont see the same race as me,dozens of times over the years I’ve spotted a horse and thought….Target? Arguably my greatest achievement was backing

Harbinger

back in Aug 09 at 25/1 for the 2010 King George at Ascot after finishing stone cold last in the Voltigeur as a hotpot fav.What makes that particular wager so satisfying was the fact I’d also backed

Workforce

at 25/1 for the 2010 Derby and then the Arc at 40’s,in between those 2 fantastic victories ‘Workforce’ went off the odds-on fav for that very King George and lost to his 4yo Stablemate.Me being TAPK of course told all and sundry that for all the impression ‘Harbinger’ made on lightening fast ground at Ascot that historical day he wouldn’t beat ‘Workforce’ in the Arc on slower ground,the rest they say is history.Steve Mellish was a significant benefactor from ‘Workforce’ too that year,Good judge that fellow.Talking of good judges and coups I remember Steves right hand ‘man’ Lydia Hyslop waxing lyrical about my horse

Albertas Run

after he won a minor Nov chase at Cheltenham in November 07,I agreed with her every word about how he could be a serious player for the following years RSA,he traded at 16/1 after that and duly landed the big Novice chase over 3m at the festival.I’d like to know these 2 fine presenters views on this seasons RSA Winner,

Shutthefrontdoor

.Corals obviously aren’t watching the same horse going 25/1 today,good old Corals.

Shutthefrontdoor

£50 e/w 25/1 Corals RSA 2014.

I’ll see your

Shutthefrontdoor

and raise you a

Bright New Dawn

Gord, I’m on at 40s :wink: I’m sure we’ll be seeing my fella out jumping a fence in the next fortnight or so, although he’s not entered anywhere yet. Chasing’s in this lad’s blood, it’s was he was born to do and he’s a massive RSA player for March.

We’ve got to give old Dessie

one

winner at the festival eh Gord, we know he won’t be getting it in the Champion Hurdle 8)

Dessie could have a nice RSA headache with Some Tikket as well Boz :wink:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I’d have

Bright New Dawn

as by far his best prospect Tommy, as I’d say the same about him being Gigginstown’s best RSA chance. It came as no real surprise to me that he didn’t make the trip over last season, but this season is all about one thing for him and it’s this race.

Nice fences bow from your lad today Tommy. The point you made on your thread about preferring chasers just spending one term over timber before tackling fences is valid, I agree entirely. It could definitely give you an edge on the market there when you look at the likes of

Grandouet

and

Oscar Whisky

opposing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’ve been in this game too long to know that you dont judge a horse on one performance alone.The aptly named

Defy Logic

did just that today and did it well.Bookmakers are happy to go 16/1 about his Arkle chance after his chasing debut and to me making the running suits this fellow,his ‘Tidal Bay’ head carriage is definitely concerning but thats a family trait being a ‘Flemensfirth’,having said that both ‘Tidal Bay’ and ‘Imperial Commander’ are ‘Flemensfirths’ and both out of a ‘Le Moss’ mare but are like chalk and cheese so we dont take breeding to literally.What is most significant about this ‘Defy Logics’ performance today is the time he clocked,without doubt the fastest of the day and most respectable,whether this fellow has the tenacity to match his flair remains to be seen but for someone who doesn’t rate him top class I was impressed today…….Not as impressed as I was with one of my Fav Gigginstown horses

Rule the world

mind,6/4 was Xmas,he’s different Class to that lot today and proved it,he’ll be even better over fences too! A mention for

Don Cossack

as he was becoming frustrating over hurdles and he too has found his niche in Chasing,he’ll step up again for a trip of 3m.Boz,good luck trying to find one better than my RSA horse I’ll tell you one thing though,had

Bright New Dawn

been trained by Mouse Morris I’d be worried! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’d have

Bright New Dawn

as by far his best prospect Tommy, as I’d say the same about him being Gigginstown’s best RSA chance. It came as no real surprise to me that he didn’t make the trip over last season, but this season is all about one thing for him and it’s this race.

Nice fences bow from your lad today Tommy. The point you made on your thread about preferring chasers just spending one term over timber before tackling fences is valid, I agree entirely. It could definitely give you an edge on the market there when you look at the likes of

Grandouet

and

Oscar Whisky

opposing.

They’re two nice horses and at the top of my RSA list currently Boz.

Some Tikket

out in the next couple of weeks I think, not sure about Bright New Dawn but I expect if both prove good enough to go to Cheltenham and are fit and well then one will go in the Jewson. Neither are short of pace, it’ll be interesting to see the paths they take on the way. Be nice to see

Bright New Dawn

have another crack at Champagne Fever too!

Yeah I don’t have any statistical evidence to back that novice chaser thing up and Sizing Europe is an example of one who bucks that idea but it’s something that definitely influences me when backing for Cheltenham. The two you mention are ones which I will not be backing for the Arkle I should think. Outside of

Champagne Fever

and

Defy Logic

there doesn’t look an obvious candidate to me.

Have you or anyone else looking in here any thoughts on the Arkle?

Was thinking there today, with

Faugheen

and

Turnandgo

entered at Punchestown this week, WPM has a serious team of staying novice hurdlers, with

Moyle Park

and

Made In Germany

as well :shock:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Game on Gord, game on 8)

Who do you fancy for the two big chases this weekend? Personally, despite the decent ground and the run under his belt, I still think we’re the wrong side of Christmas to see the best of

First Lieutenant

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’ll tell you one thing though,had

Bright New Dawn

been trained by Mouse Morris I’d be worried! :wink:

Dessie showed last year with Lyreen Legend that he’s well able produce a novice chaser in peak form in March, the trainer is a positive for me!

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Have you or anyone else looking in here any thoughts on the Arkle?

Was thinking there today, with

Faugheen

and

Turnandgo

entered at Punchestown this week, WPM has a serious team of staying novice hurdlers, with

Moyle Park

and

Made In Germany

as well :shock:

I’ve backed

Chatterbox

for the Arkle Tommy, but with the other two Henderson horses I mentioned earlier destined for fences this term I’d imagine he’ll stay over hurdles :oops:

Of those you’ve mentioned there I’m also on

Moyle Park

for the Albert Bartlett. Proper looking stayer him, no niceties. I like him a lot and think he’ll go far.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’ve laid one of my ‘Cards’ on the table for this coming jumps season and in

Shutthefrontdoor

its one of my bankers,I’m on this fellow at 75’s on the machine and 66/1 down on the High St,I can see this fellow cantering round Cheltenham in March and thats on any ground which is fantasticly reassuring.I’ll lay another ‘Card’ out now,this time for my Fav race of the meeting and a race I have a phenomenal record of finding the right sort of horse just not the bloody winner! :twisted:

Tiger Cliff

looks a complete natural of a horse to send over hurdles,he’s a fine big stamp of an animal who will cruise around a National hunt track at hurdlers speed,his run in this years Cesarewitch confirms that and having taken the 50’s on the machine TAPK is sitting comfortable.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Gord am on FIRST LIEUTENAINT and UNIONISTE at weekend any thoughts on these races

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gord am on FIRST LIEUTENAINT and UNIONISTE at weekend any thoughts on these races

Well I’d like to see both horses run in the Charlie Hall myself Darren but I suppose Mouse will take the easier option of Down Royal for my lad.I do believe both will meet in the Hennessey
    though.I’m ‘old School’ when it comes to the Hennessey and have always maintained its a race totally suited to a 2nd season chaser so I’m totally confident that this years winner comes from last seasons 3m Nov chase ran in February around Newbury,that of course was won by ‘Unioniste’ who at 5yo has to have masses of improvement to come,I’m not totally convinced he’s as tough as the 2 horses he beat mind,’Hadrians Approach’ who if he ever learned to jump would make a Gold cup horse,I’m reliably informed he’s schooled intensively throughout the Summer.The 3rd horse home that February day was a horse who I rate highly,he’s the biggest of the 3 players and significantly the strongest form thanks to a fantastic ‘Whitbread’ run,that performance made a man of this horse and 23’s on the machine is too big! All I want to see from

First Lieutenant

this season is for him to line up at Cheltenham for the Gold cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Some good racing over the jumps tomorrow,my 2 main interests are

Same Difference

having his Hennessey prep at Ascot and

First Lieutenant

taking the slow but sure journey to Cheltenham for the Gold cup.I expect both horses to run big races so have backed them at prices I expect to contract this weekend for bigger targets.

Same Difference

£100 e/w 16/1 Skybet Hennessey.

First Lieutenant

£50 e/w 14/1 Coral Cheltenham Gold cup.

• Total Posts 660

I see Same Difference is 44 on the machine – are you sure he’s going to run?

• Total Posts 1217

I too like SD although not sure Ascot will play to his strengths, though Ryan Hatch’s 7lb claim will come in very handy. Triolo D’Alene and Bless the Wings would be my other fancies.

I quite like Mt Benbulben in Ireland, though FL usually runs well fresh. I don’t think Sizing Europe will stay.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

When people talk about legends at Horse racing the name

Tidal Bay

has to be mentioned along with the best,he’s just won the Wetherby hurdle again and touches 5’s in running for those who know him! Whether

First Lieutenant

ever gets the same accolades remains to be seen as he’s just ran a stinker at Down Royal,we know he hates really soft ground though dont we? :roll: As for

Same Difference

at 55’s for the Hennessey now Kasp?? :shock: Makes you wonder as he looks tailor-made for it,I do think

Unioniste

is a player today too at 6’s en-route to Newbury.We’ll see shortly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Like myself I bet Ginge and Gary are kicking themselves after watching

Houblon des Obeaux

romping home at Ascot there,12/1 too! :oops: He was my initial 4 miler bet for the festival until ruled out late on and his form last year in Novice company was rock solid!! :oops: What an idiot,not even having a saver on him.I’ve backed

Unioniste

at Wetherby,now watch

Cape Tribulation

rub it in for deserting him!! :oops:

Viewing 17 posts - 834 through 850 (of 1,334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.