The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A day in the life of…..

Home Forums Horse Racing A day in the life of…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’ve just been watching ‘The Scudamores’ on ATR. It’s fascinating to hear how these people live their lives and to hear stories from the Pipe/Scudamore (Martin & Peter that is) era.

It led me to ask this question;

If you could spend a day with any racing related person, past or present, who would it be?

It’s a tough question for me to answer, but a day with Jenny Pitman would have been nice. She was a great trainer and showed such love for her horses. I would have loved to spend a day with her, seeing how she trained her horses, seeing her delight when she got a winner, and seeing how she celebrated (I’ve heard she likes a good party).

I look forward to your answers.

Mike

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

A day with Natalia Gemelova… oh you didn’t mean like that. :wink:

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

A very easy one for me to answer.

The voice of racing – Sir Peter.

A man who has seen nearly all the great races of the 20th century live, has known all the important players and who has no doubt forgotten more than I will ever know about racing and I think he has forgotten very little indeed.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

A day with Natalia Gemelova… oh you didn’t mean like that. :wink:

:lol: No I didn’t mean it like that lol.

My mate used to date her (jockey David Allan). I haven’t seen him for a few months so not sure if they are still on. She looks mighty fine when he brings her to the local pub…. oh I knew there was a reason for going to the pub on Christmas Day :lol:

Mike

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

No contest- Barney Curley, but preferably in his Newmarket den plotting the overthrow of the bookmakers rather than when he’s ministering to the poor in Africa!

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

The great Peter O’Sullevan is a good shout, if this were a ‘one 2 one’ with a racing personality instead of a day with one, he’d possibly be my choice.

But to spend a day with it would be JP McManus for me. He’s just a punter like anyone else- only with money and contacts the likes of which the man in the street could never even dream of. I can imagine he’ll have some wonderful stories, some of which may not be known by many! Also, he owned two of my favourite horses in Istabraq & Clan Royal, so a chance to get up close with them would also make my day.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

…Henry Cecil. Worked with the biggest owners and greatest jockeys in British racing history. I think he also trained a few decent horses… 8)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

Morning with Phil Bull discussing far-left political doctrine and how it helped him in his quest to ‘beat the book’

‘Lunch’ with Jeffrey Bernard

‘Evening stables’ and ‘first lot’ with Venetia Williams

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Interesting interview with the Scudamores.

All four were asked which horse they thought would win the Cheltenham Gold Cup – Kauto Star or Denman.

Peter, Tom and Michael Jnr were of the opinion that Denman would win, whereas Michael Snr eventually plumped for Kauto Star but said that he would prefer to ride Denman as it suit his style more.

I could listen to Sir Peter O’Sullevan all day long. Phil Bull is also a good shout. Barney Curley, I like, and is fascinating to listen to – for a while, but I think the incessant preaching would have me running for the hills before too long.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

A few pints with Kieren Fallon.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Steve Mellish and Lydia for me

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

A few pints with Kieren Fallon.

Cokes surely :shock:

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Murphys for me Can of Coke for Kieren :P

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Emma Spencer but it has sod all to do with racing. Or Lydia would do to be fair. :wink:

If it had to be racing related – John Francome. He can’t tip rubbish but he’s such a nice guy and so enthusiastic. Can’t imagine it’d be boring.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’d just give Fallon a small bag of talcum powder and let him enjoy himself, whilst I merrily whack bottles of Veuve Cliquot on his tab! :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.