The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

9.15 Perth: Strange Goings On?

Home Forums Horse Racing 9.15 Perth: Strange Goings On?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Stylish Shot: Not sure what Lee was doing on this one…was never put into race….never touched.

A farce of a race needs to be looked at…

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

It was well judged ride by James Reveley on Annibale Caro. He set a decent pace and had most of the field under the cosh turned for home yet still had enough to hold off two challengers.

Farne Island tried hard enough but never quite got to the winner. He’s running quite well at the moment

Guerilla is a cussed soul and I get the impression he needs a race run to suit him. In the end I think the third palce was about as well as could be expected and he’s not in bad form this summer. As far as I could see Alex Voy rode a reasonable race on him and he wasn’t quite good enough in the end.

There was some pretty ropey hurdling amongst the rest, and nothing seemed particularly suited by the strong pace. Desert Soul and Bed Fellow weren’t good enough in this company and the latter looks to me to need at least 2m 4f and probably further if he’s to make a mark.Stylish Shot just looked very uncooperative to me. He was taken wide early, but seemed to be hanging there and was pulling Graham Lee’s arms out. I guess Lee made a reasonable decision to sit and suffer and ultimately didn’t have anything left once turned for home. Spa Wells chased from 4 out but never looked like getting close enough.

Other than it being a race which the winner was able to dictate, and he proved a bit better than the rest on the day, I couldn’t anything particularly odd about it.

Rob

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Rob, what’s strange about it is this:

These aren’t my comments based on my observations – I haven’t seen this race. Backed the winner and couldn’t care less what Lee or anybody else got up to.

The comments are direct quotes taken from the Text Commentary on the RP’s Betting Site. I assume those comments are written by a professional journo either employed by the RP direct or via the PA .

Is there a suspicion he or she may have backed it and had their judgement clouded :D

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Rob, what’s strange about it is this:

These aren’t my comments based on my observations – I haven’t seen this race. Backed the winner and couldn’t care less what Lee or anybody else got up to.

The comments are direct quotes taken from the Text Commentary on the RP’s Betting Site. I assume those comments are written by a professional journo either employed by the RP direct or via the PA .

Is there a suspicion he or she may have backed it and had their judgement clouded :D

Some of the previous comments which have appeared on the RP text commentary have been hilarious and ridiculous in equal measure. Don’t assume anyone of senior standing is responsible for that particular body of work.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

Pompete

Thanks for clarifying where the comments came from. Unfortunately I couldn’t re-check as I only came back on this morning and that RP Commentary has now disappeared into the ether. I do sometimes get the that ‘Extel feeling’ about some of those commentaries, one minute last furlongs and all that.

I would suggest that the competence or impartiality of the commentary compiler might justifiably be called into question. As I said, as far as Stylish Shot was concerned it was pretty obvious that the problem was he wouldn’t settle.

I don’t like writing notes on a race in which I’ve backed one. It easily clouds your judgement as there’s a tendency to concentrate on your horse to the exclusion of others. Over time I’ve managed to adopt a ‘stand back’ attitude, but sometimes it isn’t easy. I would hope that if somebody were paying me to work on a race that I would remain objective.

Rob

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I disagree that Reveley set anything like a ‘decent’ pace at all on the winner. The race was steadily run and it very much suited the 2 that raced 20l clear despite neither having to go flat out to achieve that. It was no surprise at all that they finished first and second.

It’s hardly as though Stylish Shot was the only one that pulled hard early, infact you could argue that the winner took just as long to drop to the bit. I’m not saying it was at all bent, but for me the tactics employed on Stylish Shot meant that he never had anywhere near the chance to win the race as what Annabale Caro did, and the likelihood is that he retains far more ability coming back from a long absence than this outing would indicate.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

David

Looking at the race time compared with the other 2m race on the card suggests that you are correct about the pace, even allowing for the fact that the ground eased a bit. My impression was that the front two went fairly quick, but in retrospect it was more of a case of the remaining six dawdling early on.There may be better to come from Stylish Shot, though he’s now winless from 17 goes flat and hurdles.

Rob

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.