The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

7f races at Wolves

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Apologies for this, but am still at a distance and can´t do my own research….<br>I am involved in a horse that is due to run next week at Wolves over 7f-I´m assuming a full field of 12. <br>My trainer is worried about us getting a wide draw, saying it is a major inconvenience. My own cursory glance at the latest results of handicaps at the distance doesn´t bear this out. Do any of you sand afficionados have a view on the effects of the draw and favoured run styles at this distance at the moment? Thanks in advance.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

If the trainer believes a wide draw to be a disadvantage, I would trust his/her judgement.

I haven’t followed recent meetings at the course, but I would normally give those drawn wide a few pounds penalty when rating the race. It’s useful to watch a few races at any meeting to see how the track is riding because the perceived disadvantage doesn’t always occur.

It’s best to race prominently over this 7f trip at an even pace. The dash for the finish usually starts about 2 to 3f out and many horses are caught wide or have to go wide to avoid trouble. If the leaders have gone too quickly, they will come back in the last furlong, but not many horses at this level can come from a long way back if the pace is even.

Best of luck with your horse, if it gets a run.  

(Edited by Artemis at 8:42 am on April 21, 2007)

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Not sure whether you have details of this site, carv, but draw analysis of every track is on here.

http://www.adrianmassey.com/index.htm

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Carvills,

I’d suggest that the draw is much less important than a quick start. Because the bend is so close to the start, all the horses bunch up and anything that isn’t quickly away is going to be squeezed out and lose ground and momentum.

And that can happen just as easily from stall 1 as from stall 10 – in fact as the horses all make a beeeline for the inside of the bend, you often see low drawn horses snatched up and losing several lengths.

The best way to deal with the draw over 7F at Wolverhampton – run the horse at Kempton instead!

AP

Twinkle Twinkle
    • Total Posts 54

IMO it is extremely difficult to come fom off the pace over 7 at wolves, in fact sometimes it seems you cant go too fast, I suppose the fact that half the race takes place around the bend may be the main reason. I feel it is a significant bias and has been for a while.

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

the draw would have some significance imo, if all horses broke evenly, settled into a nice rythmn equally, all ran exactly true to their form which was never misrepresented, their was no skullduggery or luck in running and conditions were the same for all, etc, etc

no, it makes no difference imo, it is a tiny piece of the jigsaw, just a fraction of the equation, he sounds to me like he is preparing his excuses already …

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately our hoss has started slowly in all his races so far, which sounds like a considerable handicap if he does it again over this C and D, perhaps more important than where he´s drawn. Will have a better idea once we see the decs and draw…. thanks for your good wishes.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 60

i am not keen on the wolves track myself as i have heard from quite a few that the track has very tight  turns, and as others have said this leads to the horses getting very bunched up, thus quite a few errors occur.. i think that the draw would not be so important but more that you either ran at the front or at the rear of the field and avoided the midfield bunching.. :cheesy:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Carvills,

I’m guessing the horse in question is Epidaurian King, drawn in stall 3 in the 5:40 at Wolverhampton today?

Best of luck – in case you can’t get to see it, I’ll post something after the race.

AP

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Lost a length at the start, but still got into a good position on the inside rail – travelled well but from 3f out, he saw about as much daylight as Stevie Wonder at a late night concert.

Still looked a bit green, but clearly has potential off that mark. A similar race on a straight track would be ideal.

AP<br>

aphardyaphardy
    • Total Posts 190

Saw this race and having been alerted to watching the horse earlier, glued my eyes to it. Thought the jockey was doing a really good impression of riding a finish in the last couple of furlongs, finding a bit of trouble etc. Shame it got third really – will attract the glare of other notebooks for its next run!;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.