The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

5.00 Newbury Debacle – Neesom comment

Home Forums Horse Racing 5.00 Newbury Debacle – Neesom comment

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

No point in me saying anmything the young lad Gorman doesn’t already realise himself.

What I would like to comment on is Jonathon Neesom’s ridiculous statement that incidents such as Gorman’s "make the amateaur game look, well, amateur". Ahem. Well I think thats why its called amateur Mr Neesom!

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

I think it’s a good comment

Gorman – well i’d have preferred more than a 14 day ban but hope he learns from this. That’s cost me in multiple bets and i aint happy.

Who misses out the final fence at Newbury ?! Who did he speak to prior to the race and has he never watched racing here ???!!!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

I guess somehow mistook the final fence for the elbow. :roll:

Value Is Everything
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

An absolutely spot on comment from Jonathan and he hit the nail right on the head.

The riders are the biggest risks in these sort of races.

Betting in these sort of races is always a bigger risk, so I do have little sympathy for anyone who lost on this contest – if you are going to bet on Muppets you cannot complain when the riders act like Muppets.

For every loser there is also a winner as backers of Offshore Account discovered – this sort of race exemplifies the alternate name of betting – GAMBLING!!!

I notice a certain cynical Irish bookmaker was quick to jump on the publicity bandwagon and refund bets on Merry Vic.

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

I feel sorry for the lad. It was only his second race under rules and he made a big mistake. He thought it was the water jump which is just before the winning line and has to be bypassed. He’s apologised and it’s quite heart warming to see the amount of support he’s been getting on twitter. He had even made a lot of effort to learn the course, walking it twice and studying the map for twenty minutes. Up till then he’d actually ridden a very good race as he looked beaten five out.

Unfortunately someone tried to assult him on the way back in.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

I think it’s a good comment

Gorman – well i’d have preferred more than a 14 day ban but hope he learns from this. That’s cost me in multiple bets and i aint happy.

Who misses out the final fence at Newbury ?! Who did he speak to prior to the race and has he never watched racing here ???!!!

Pocket talk by any chance?? I fully agree with Ken below, he made a bad error, we are all human…he will learn from it. Move on.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Pocket talk by any chance?? I fully agree with Ken below, he made a bad error, we are all human…he will learn from it. Move on.

You can’t really blame people who backed the horse for being annoyed.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

What I would like to comment on is Jonathon Neesom’s ridiculous statement that incidents such as Gorman’s "make the amateaur game look, well, amateur".

I’d be more concerned with his Brown Chamberlin comment – "A chaser of the 1980’s I think trained by Fred Winter".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZFBUN3sdtE

Interesting the set up of the track then which would have avoided yesterdays fiasco but wouldn’t have allowed bypassing of the last fence/hurdle. What did they do in those days with injured jockeys and/or horses, drag them off the track and/or jump part of the fence/hurdle?

Does anyone know what result the judge announced yesterday? The only result I saw had Offshore Account as the winner but I thought the judge just called them past the post and left the rest to the stewards but the RP report refers to Merry Vic being disqualified, couldn’t that only happen though if he’d been announced the winner in the first place?

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

An absolutely spot on comment from Jonathan and he hit the nail right on the head.

The riders are the biggest risks in these sort of races.

Betting in these sort of races is always a bigger risk, so I do have little sympathy for anyone who lost on this contest – if you are going to bet on Muppets you cannot complain when the riders act like Muppets.

For every loser there is also a winner as backers of Offshore Account discovered – this sort of race exemplifies the alternate name of betting – GAMBLING!!!

I notice a certain cynical Irish bookmaker was quick to jump on the publicity bandwagon and refund bets on Merry Vic.

What sort of sport is it where we allow one of Paul’s ‘Muppets’ to ride the favourite in the biggest NH race of the season. Anyone who backed Long Run should be sectioned.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Unfortunately someone tried to assult him on the way back in.

That is disgraceful, whoever attempted that should be barred from every racecourse.

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

What I would like to comment on is Jonathon Neesom’s ridiculous statement that incidents such as Gorman’s "make the amateaur game look, well, amateur".

I’d be more concerned with his Brown Chamberlin comment – "A chaser of the 1980’s I think trained by Fred Winter".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZFBUN3sdtE

Interesting the set up of the track then which would have avoided yesterdays fiasco but wouldn’t have allowed bypassing of the last fence/hurdle. What did they do in those days with injured jockeys and/or horses, drag them off the track and/or jump part of the fence/hurdle?

Does anyone know what result the judge announced yesterday? The only result I saw had Offshore Account as the winner but I thought the judge just called them past the post and left the rest to the stewards but the RP report refers to Merry Vic being disqualified, couldn’t that only happen though if he’d been announced the winner in the first place?

Offshore Account was called as the winner immediately. The results have Merry Vic as running out.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

You can’t really blame people who backed the horse for being annoyed.

As someone else stated you are taking a risk when you back a horse with a rookie on board.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

My views on the disproportionate severity of punishment for the likes of taking the wrong course compared to, say, actual endangering of the horses’ lives (e.g. persisting on a tired or injured horse), have already been repeated on here

ad nauseam

, so I shall spare you all another reprise just now.

I have seen George Gorman in action at numerous Points this season and last, and nothing about Friday’s brainstorm diminishes the fact that he is very gifted for one of his age (barely 17), particularly where riding conserving races on front-runners is concerned.

A “Muppet”, I have to contest, he absolutely is not; and the preparation of walking the course, studying the map, etc. that Kenh mentioned is both typical of the thoughtful young man he is and plenty more than a lot of professional riders ever do (and have been found out accordingly in well-known incidents at Ayr, Newcastle and Huntingdon to name but three in the last couple of years).

There will be a South East Area title for him in Points not too many years from now, of that I am convinced – he, along with Patrick Smith, look the natural successors in that regard to the Peter Bulls, Philip Halls, Phillip Yorks and Marcus (father of George) Gormans of that world.

Friday’s mistake was unquestionably a conspicuous, high-profile one on a major course, but emphatically not indicative of any deeper major shortcomings as a rider or thinker. Again, as Kenh has pointed out, he’d ridden a fine race up until the last fence, and his performance on the same horse in running Barbers Shop to half a length previously wasn’t exactly shabby, either.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Can’t blame punters for being annoyed, it was a stupid mistake. Water jumps are a lot lower than normal chase fences. :roll: But those who back amateurs know the risk. Anyone who backed the horse owed it to Gorman for getting Merry Mic in to a winning position. The ride prior to that aberration was of a young rider going places. George certainly conducted himself with great credit afterwards, even going on ATR’s "Get On" to apologise. Am sure it won’t hinder his career.

Neesoms comment was understandable. When anything goes wrong there’s the often used saying "that was ameteurish". And these were ameteur riders (as in not professional riders). So I thought Neesoms comment quite clever / funny, mixing the two meanings in his own straight faced kind of way.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.