The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

5-0

Home Forums General Sports 5-0

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Scotland’s renewal as a decent force at international level continues with a demolition job on the frighteningly poor Faroese.

Looking forward to our home game against France next month.<br> <br>We’re much better without Barry Ferguson who, IMO, slows things down too much and loses our urgency which is a key asset in our armoury. We need to be getting at teams, doing things quickly and he’s much too ponderous these days.  Boyd is good though (before you Bears get hot under the collar)!<br>

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

A good result for Scotland.

However, the Faroes lost 6-0 at home to Georgia who then lost 3-0 at home to France.

So, it’ll take a few more good results before I start to think that Scotland can challenge the 2 World Cup finalists for one of the qualification places.

Steve

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

6-0 final score against the blind asylum (no disrespect to the blind asylum), still it was 3 points and they won a game that they have struggled to win in the past, Scotland are a bit more enjoyable to watch but that’s because we have a decent coach for a change, still there’s a long way to go and anything is a bonus, having said this international football isn’t my most favourite thing but Barry Ferguson is a great player and would be missed from any team.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Another great display, even better this time given that the Lithuanians are handy enough and we were away from home. Great stuff. I have a ticket for the France game at Hampden and can’t wait!

Fantastic result for Northern Ireland also. Good on the boys in green. What with Wales giving the Brazilians a game last night – the Celts (that’s Kelts Jim)  are back in business!!

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Excellent result.

It’s a pity Scotland are in what must be the toughest qualifying group of all time (both WC finalists plus another Qfinalist).

In some groups, on this form, they would have serious <br>chances of a runners-up position.

Steve

PS I had a laugh at L’Equipe this morning when it said that Germany gave "une fessée monumentale" to San Marin.

"Une fessée monumentale" translates as "a monumental spanking".    

:biggrin: :biggrin: <br>

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

What an absolutely fantastic effort yesterday by Scotland.

Comprehensively out-classed in the first half and extremely fortunate to go in at half time on level trems they then got their heads down, got stuck in and Les Bleus began to stutter.

It wasn’t all hiking it up to the front men/man either and, credit where it is due, Barry Ferguson played a blinder in the second half as he, Fletcher and Hartley harried and hustled the French in midfield and played good football when going forward.

The delivery from Hartley on both corners leading up to the goal was absolutely top drawer, the French having looked very vulnerable to set plays all night.

Brilliant, brilliant performance.

Then on the way home in the car, just when we thought life couldn’t get any better, we heard the England score.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I thought France were the better team and that Scotland rode their luck.

However, they were only in a position to profit from their luck because they were well organised, played as a team, supported each other and played with self-belief.

2 or 3 years ago, these qualities were totally lacking in the Scotland team.

Credit to Walter Smith for turning them around and molding them into a team that’s hard to score against and that can punish their opponents lapses.

As I said last month:

"It’s a pity Scotland are in what must be the toughest qualifying group of all time (both WC finalists plus another Qfinalist).

In some groups, on this form, they would have serious <br>chances of a runners-up position."

Although qualification still looks a very unlikely dream, I’d be surprised (and very disappointed) if Scotland don’t move up a rank (from pot 4 to pot 3) in the seedings for the qualfying groups for 2010.

Steve    

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.