The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

NASA

Home Forums Lounge NASA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I went to NASA and had a good look around the space ships and I don’t believe that they could travel outside of the Earth’s outer atmosphere.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Radiation, they would all be fried if they wandered outside of the Earth’s protective shield.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

And if the radiation hadn’t got ’em, the giant lizards who control, like, EVERYthing certainly would have.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Mythbusters did a show on this ‘myth’ and declared it ‘busted’ not least for the fact hundreds of thousands of people worked on the projects and it would have been easier to get there than cover up the fact they didn’t.

Also, the radiation wouldn’t have fried them but most of them did get some minor damage like cataracts, etc.

Apparently about 5% of people think they didn’t do it, about the same proportion that think David Icke talks sense.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. solar radiation, the type that causes the Northern Lights, stops electrical equipment working and electrifies the upper atmosphere. They didn’t know that in the sixties wen they made all this up ..

People will believe what they want to believe, personally I don’t believe anything that I can’t verify for myself, due to all of the lies that I have been told in the past by so called experts, people with a vested interest and politicians.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I don’t believe the Americans did land on the moon. My granny always says "they can put a man on the moon, but they can’t get a bloody letter to Stockton in 2 days". She’s got a point- there’s no way those useless tossers at the Royal Mail could have orchestrated the moon landings.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

.. solar radiation, the type that causes the Northern Lights, stops electrical equipment working and electrifies the upper atmosphere. They didn’t know that in the sixties wen they made all this up ..

People will believe what they want to believe, personally I don’t believe anything that I can’t verify for myself, due to all of the lies that I have been told in the past by so called experts, people with a vested interest and politicians.

Dave

Just out of interest, where do think Sky’s satellite television signal comes from?

Rob

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

It was forty years ago today…

Big, Big, Bollox to all the conspiracy theories, cold-war politics and cost. I thought then, as a wide-eyed lad in love with the brave new world and white-heat of technology, that it was a truly remarkable achievement and I still do.

Two in the morning glued to the grainy black-and-white TV pictures with father, James Burke and Patrick Moore vying for the lead in the over-excitement stakes.

Mr Darley our headmaster at school was kind enough to allow us to drift in when we felt like it next morning, helped no doubt by the fact it was the last week of summer term anyway. And when we did turn up little else was done other than chat about the moon. Never had I got on so well with the teachers than I did then

…an enduring image

Of course there was all the usual ‘space age’ guff about us having colonies on the moon sometime in the 1990s, but it was well-meant. To a youngster of my age at the time there was a huge sense of hope and expectation that this was indeed the future, and I wanted to be part of it.

Inevitably that bushy-tailed innocence of youth wore off and here we are now still living on essentially the same troubled old world we had then. Seems even more vicious now, but that feeling just walks hand-in-hand with advancing years.

Thanks NASA, you brightened up my boyhood

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Dave

Just out of interest, where do think Sky’s satellite television signal comes from?

Rob

From somewhere inside this

The Magnetosphere

about 800km from the Earth’s surface, the magnetosphere is about 70,000km from the Earth’s surface.

I don’t beleive we have anything manned outside of this shield.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Theres an amazing film/documentary on CH 4 tonight called ‘In the Shadow of the Moon’; well worth watching. If those guys interviewed are lying then they extremely good at it.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Lovely post Drone.

Despite the magnitude of what was happening I remember being so disappointed ar the really grainy pictures – I was expecting something clearer.

But I remember the delight when, a few months later, the Sunday Times got the rights to the still photographs taken on the mission and they had full colour supplements (virtually unheard of in those days) over several weeks. I think I still have them up in the loft.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Theres an amazing film/documentary on CH 4 tonight called ‘In the Shadow of the Moon’; well worth watching. If those guys interviewed are lying then they extremely good at it.

I loved it. A superb and emotional account by the men who were there, don’t miss it if you haven’t seen it.

Conspiracy my arse. Nice post Drone.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Conspiracy my [expletive].

Absolutely – to put it into the context of the time, the moon landing happened at the height of the cold war.

The Soviets were monitoring every move the Americans were making – if the Americans had not gone to the moon the Soviets would have known and would have made damned sure the world knew it was a hoax.

Also as Simon pointed out, with the number of people who would have had to have been involved it would be impossible to keep it under wraps.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I wouldn’t call myself a non-believer although I am a little skeptical

How come so little progress has been made in the last 40 years, relatively speaking? In comparison to landing on the moon, we seem to have made very little progress into space exploration since then, even more so when you consider the technological advances in other areas.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

That’s a fair point David, however I think it has been down to differing priorities.

Putting a man on the moon in the 60’s was more political than anything else. I would even venture to suggest that had Kennedy not been shot then the project may well have quietly been sidelined.

However with Kennedy being assassinated it became part of his legacy, almost a self fulfilling prophecy. By the time of the last moon landing common sense prevailed and NASA realised they could not advance much further at that stage. Focus then moved towards Skylab and developing a re-usable vehicle, ultimately the shuttle.

Then other priorities came to the fore and in the 90’s and this century the political emphasis has been elsewhere.

Maybe with the threat of global warning and the long term prospects for the planet there is more consideration towards "colonisation" other than on planet Earth – after all why settle at destroying one planet.

However if space exploration is to be progressed seriously I believe it needs to be a truly international affair – different countries each doing their own thing will be counter productive.

I suppose 40 years may, to us, seem a long time with seemingly little "progress" – in the wider context of the history of mankind 40 years is but the blink of an eye – that’s quite profound for a Monday afternoon – I need a lie down now. :)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Although I am totally in awe of space exploration and the bravery of the people who take part, it still puzzles me why we don’t spend the money on taking care of the world that we live in. Bit like a man who starts his next job/project before completely finishing the last one….[you know who you are, guys……]

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

I loved it. A superb and emotional account by the men who were there, don’t miss it if you haven’t seen it.

Thanks for the reminder

Very good it was, and quite touching too

Dignified and at times profound words from the ‘few’

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.