The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

4.10 Cork – Has there been a worse Grade 3 chase?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks 4.10 Cork – Has there been a worse Grade 3 chase?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

There have been some mares only events which have conjured up some rather shocking fields but this is really something.

Upgraded from listed status this year, a race that is open to all novices and second season chasers worth €27,500 has attracted four runners. Each rated 107, 106, 98 and 97.

To put it into perspective, if this was a flat race in England, the equivalent rating band of 57-67 (62-72 if you’re being generous) would make it no better than a mediocre seller.

Well done to connections for finding such an easy purse and I hope that all the runners have a nice race and come back safely but the field is truly abysmal. I understand that the proximity of the Irish National may have detracted somewhat from the field but that hasn’t prevented reasonable renewals in the past.

Could this be illustrative of the sheer lack of quality staying chasers in Ireland or were trainers simply caught napping here?

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

Even the winning trainer didn’t think much of the race’s group status

“Wellforth will just keep tipping away in these sort of handicaps over the summer.”

Any takers on my questions in the opening post or shall we just assume that every trainer in Ireland (and perhaps Britain although to be fair, the travel expenditures would have been quite steep) completely missed this prize?

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1370

I looked at the declarations a few days ago and couldn’t believe it; the race-course and sponsors must be sick

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.