The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2YO Summary thread 2016

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks 2YO Summary thread 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 784 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

You’re right Steve this is the best 2yo race before Royal Ascot,I think, and Mehmas will be a hot fav so good luck but I won’t be backing him.
    Can’t believe that Copper Knight is around 10/1 (paddy power) and comparing the two horses over 5 furlongs at Chester Copper Knight won his race in a faster time on good to soft ground than Mehmas did on Good ground and I also believe that Copper Knight although not proven on Good to Firm will find even more improvement to beat the favourite.
    He looks a real progressive type.
    COPPER KNIGHT EW – 10/1
    Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

The Hannon’s have a fantastic record in the race. I recall Lyric Fantasy winning it years ago then going on to just win in explosive fashion at Royal ascot.

The one I like at the prices is the Balding horse. Fell out of the stalls on his debut but then won with plenty to spare. It’s a two year old race, anything can win it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Copper Knight’s tendency to hang worries me and I feel that Mehmas took a big step forward from his Chester run. It should be borne in mind that Hugo Palmer’s horse was having his third start at Chester, compared to Mehmas making his debut, so any time comparisons may be spurious.

Tiggy Wiggy won this race a couple of year’s ago and the Hannon’s have won six of the last nine renewals. Pretty strong stuff.

I was having a look at Roger Charlton’s 2yo’s in training and spotted a couple of Frankel Fillies in there.

Occurrence is by Frankel out of Arrive, who was also trained by Charlton and she has already had group winning progeny.

Fair Eva is by Frankel out of African Rose, who was with Criquette Head and won the Sprint Cup the year it was run at Doncaster (Although the website said it was the Haydock Sprint Cup)

Both fillies are owned by Khalid Abdullah.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Godolphin’s Nasimi made a remarkable debut at Haydock today.

This daughter of Shamardal, was favourite for the race but as the stalls opened it looked blown money as she came out of the box with all the speed of Don Poli and was soon trailing.

If you stop the video at the 3F mark you would not give her a prayer but she gets the hang of things and comes away steadily despite looking pretty clueless about her job.

Normally I worry if the Godolphin ones are just better prepared 1st time up, as they regularly fail to progress as expected next time and prove expensive at short odds.

This filly looks pretty near certain to have learned today though. She’s interesting I believe.

Video here:-

http://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/video/20160526/2601810/15517479

Ps The dam Gamilati won the Cherry Hinton at Newmarket when she was 2yo, for the now disgraced Al Zarooni yard.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Yeah I saw that race. Looked a guineas possibility for sure

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Global Applause won nicely tonight at Sandown, well done to Ed and Ryan Moore.
    Steve Caution right about Copper Knight and his tendency to hang. Just to prove Steve right he did it as he came out of the stalls and looked off balance the whole race (or that could have just been the jerky reception I was getting from watching it on the Paddy Power site, not having RUK or ATR that’s the best I can get :unsure: ).

Anyway they seemed to be putting a lot into the high draw that Mehmas had which I didn’t know about at Sandown and Copper Knight was drawn 7 although I don’t think he would have won wherever he was drawn tonight. Mehmas was definitely the better of the two and ran a really good race.

Well done to all who backed Global Applause and really pleased that Ed Dunlop has one or two decent horses going well for him this season. :good:

Back to tomorrow and we have Hugo Palmer on the map again with Frankel’s baby, a colt, by Drops (Kingmambo) MAJORIS Hugo says he has 3 Frankel foals and this one is the most forward albeit the smallest. A beautiful mover (like his dad :heart:) with an active mind but not at all silly or quirky.

He runs at Haydock in the 2.40 tomorrow and I’m a little worried by the John Gosden runner Spiritous who has already run at Newbury 2nd to Medieval.
    However Majoris will get the good to soft ground that he most probably needs with his damsire being Kingmambo so all fingers crossed for him.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this little fella cuts the mustard and if Frankel can keep his unbeaten record on and off the track. :rose: Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Mehmas looks backable now in the Coventry. He hit 8’s but back into 6/1 now, the 8’s were an over reaction. The draw was compounded by taking a bump at the start with the Johnston horse which pushed Mehmas wide and losing a few lengths meant he was further back than what Frankie would have wanted. The way he closed the gap at the end of the race was good enough for me as Hannon was taking him there for the extra experience and Frankie wasn’t too hard on him. 6f looks about right, I was a tad surprised the drop back to 5f but Hannons comments kind of fit in with that and this race should put him right for Ascot. 6/1 looks big enough for me.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Mehmas looks a bit on a small side. Wonder if he’ll progress as well as some of these other two year olds. Already had a few runs as well. The hannon runners normally get it done in the National stakes which is a race they’ve farmed in the past and that fact he wasn’t able to do so doesn’t bode well for royal ascot for me

Caravaggio looks like a nice big two year old that looks like he was designed in a factory to run on quick ground at royal ascot. Managed to overcome softer ground last time. He’d be one of the bankers of the meeting.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I notice that Nasimi was brought into the betting for the Albany Stakes at Royal Ascot, where she is 7/1.

Charlie Appleby has said she may go for that race, or step up to 7f for the Chesham.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Is PSYCHEDELIC FUNK a non runner in the race at Naas?. A few firms don’t have him in the betting.
    Lundy was beat just under 2 lengths by Caravaggio on debut before stepping up to and winning at todays trip of 6f next time out yet it’s the other O’Brien runner Peace Envoy who has Moore on board despite getting turned over at 4/9 last time out. They must feel the step up to 6f will see a better result for the Power colt.
    Hakeem makes some appeal here he beat nothing of note in his last race when at odds of 1/16 but only got beat under a length on debut against Global Applause which suggests he has plenty of speed. Hannon doesn’t send too much rubbish over to Ireland and I make him the pick.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Hakeem looked totally outclassed today.
    He seemed to travel well enough maybe a little keen early but nothing major but found nothing when it was time to pop. They were saying on breeding he will get further but on that performance it look like he didn’t stay.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hakeem looked totally outclassed today.
    He seemed to travel well enough maybe a little keen early but nothing major but found nothing when it was time to pop. They were saying on breeding he will get further but on that performance it look like he didn’t stay.

I am surprised Hakeem was 11/8F for that race.

I felt Lundy was the early value at the odds and he ran well enough. I got the impression that if Ryan Moore had been on Lundy the placings may well have been reversed. He certainly didn’t look anywhere near as strong in the saddle, which is no surprise or disgrace. It sort of reminded me of the Port Douglas, US Army Ranger race to be honest.

Form wise it looks well behind Caravaggio. Peace Envoy had been beaten by King Electric, who had previously been beaten half a length by Ready To Roc. Ready To Roc went on to the Marble Hill, where he was beaten more than nine lengths by Caravaggio.

It would have been interesting to have seen Psychedelic Funk, as he looks a good prospect, I am not sure why he was pulled out though and that’s something you would need to find out about before committing to ante post for Royal Ascot.

The fillies race later on the card was won in good style by Cuff and she was 1.7 seconds quicker than the colts. This looked Royal Ascot class form and this daughter of Galileo is 4/1 for the Albany after her win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Psychedelic Funk was pulled out because of a Slight temperature
    Mike Cattermole got his words in a muddle and called him Psychedelic Junk which seemed unfair….

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I felt Lundy was the early value at the odds and he ran well enough. I got the impression that if Ryan Moore had been on Lundy the placings may well have been reversed. He certainly didn’t look anywhere near as strong in the saddle, which is no surprise or disgrace.

I don’t really think you needed to swap the jockeys. Jockey on the second was always doing just enough to finish second. I think Peace Envoy was the chosen one on the day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Hugo Palmer has a nice 2yo running tomorrow in the 2.00 Leicester.
    Evergate by Exceed and Excel (half brother to Gasparali) and just failed to peg back Richard Hannon’s Nibras Bounty last week at Newmarket (21t May). He went off 6/4 fav and was given a lot to do coming with his run from 3 furlongs out just failing to see out the final 75yards.
    I was there that day and picked him out in the paddock but he looked heavy round the girth as if he needed the race and hopefully will strip fitter tomorrow.
    I’m having a small win bet taking a chance that Hugo has him trimmed down a little to see out the 6furlongs this time. :good: Jac

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I don’t really think you needed to swap the jockeys. Jockey on the second was always doing just enough to finish second. I think Peace Envoy was the chosen one on the day.

Steve replied:-

I just about gave young O’Brien the benefit of the doubt but it did look a tad like Peace Envoy was expected to win the race. They went a lot slower than the fillies did later on (1.7 seconds slower) and I felt that played into Peace Envoy’s hands, as I think Lundy will need 7F by the second half of the season.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hugo Palmer has a nice 2yo running tomorrow in the 2.00 Leicester.
    Evergate by Exceed and Excel (half brother to Gasparali) and just failed to peg back Richard Hannon’s Nibras Bounty last week at Newmarket (21t May). He went off 6/4 fav and was given a lot to do coming with his run from 3 furlongs out just failing to see out the final 75yards.
    I was there that day and picked him out in the paddock but he looked heavy round the girth as if he needed the race and hopefully will strip fitter tomorrow.
    I’m having a small win bet taking a chance that Hugo has him trimmed down a little to see out the 6furlongs this time. :good: Jac

There seems to be strong support for Godolphin’s Thunder Snow, who is by Helmet, a sire having a good season.

John Gosden also saddles Hyde Park, an Oasis Dream colt entered in next year’s Derby by Khalid Abdullah’s team, although it might be a “Enter 50 get 50 free” deal.

I think I’ll just watch this one.

I must pass on an overheard statement from my local Ladbrokes where a pundit was scanning the paper and then looking at a Mark Johnston horse before declaring that he was a “Lovely big shiny Helmet, bred in the purple”

I nearly choked on my Diet Pepsi :whistle:

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 784 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.