The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2022 Phoenix Stakes

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2022 Phoenix Stakes

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

WILL stay a mile.

The further he goes, the better he is.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

Turkoman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

Congrats to the winners! What a performance, thrashing a quality field. Should get 7F without breaking a sweat!

Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1015

That was ridiculous, I swear he’s doubled in size since Ascot. Anyway, no complaints over that, a mix of overestimating one and underestimating t’other. WD inners.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4735

If that thing stays a mile he will be 130+

That was some show of speed

He absolutely dusted 3 very good 2yos

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29896

Brad’ slowly away and stumbled twice, so that’s not his form at all.
    Shartash is better than his SP suggests.
    Persian Force is over-rated by connections, but even so is a reasonable yardstick. Beaten 1 1/2 lengths in the Coventry by an in form Bradsell, yet Persian Force is beaten 7 here.
    So even if Bradsell is a long way below form and even if Persian Force might not have been quite at his very best (imo somewhere near it)…

Little Big Bear is some two year old to do that..

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29896

“If that thing stays a mile he will be 130+”

—————–

Ability isn’t rated by race distance, FF.

Value Is Everything
    FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4735

Huh?

I was saying that if a horse as fast as he seems to be can stay a mile he could be exceptional

Not sure what you are getting at tbh but it wouldn’t be the first time

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29896

Yes, I get that, LBB could well be an exceptional miler if staying the trip FF. But by the speed he showed today could equally be an exceptional sprinter if ending up better at that distance.

Could be either.
    We shall see next year. :good:

Value Is Everything
    mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1107

Just wow. Could be a freak performance that took a lot out of him but aiden usually has them developing after each race. Bar bradsells poor start absolutely no excuses. Same time as 3 yo go bears go with lbb setting his own pace. God knows what rating that gets. Has to be low 120s surely. National next then put away for guineas the normal aiden path. Even if he doesnt stay,although i think he will,he will take some beating over 6f next year if he trains on. A horse to look forward to.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10154

Persian force got closest to the winner Shartash was next.
    Highly impressive by the winner. To me Persian force has improved as has Shartash. Bradsell has not on this occasion been up to it. Put that down to stumbling if you like. Horses come under pressure and it is manifest in many ways, stumbling is one of them and although making up the ground could not stay with them. Bradsell will have better days but that cannot take anything away from the winner and the two that followed him.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10154

Nathan sees all.
    August 2nd “I’ve got Blackbeard, Meditate and Never Ending Story as non starters”

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4735

Aidan thinks he’s very fast

Named a few options after the race

The Nunthorpe, the morny, the middle park and the dewhurst

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2725

To be fair, Aidan thinks every horse he’s ever trained is very fast.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

Little Big Bear, carrying just a pound less, was 0.01 seconds faster than an OR 112-rated 3yo, who would be conceding him 24lb weight-for-age at this time of the year.

As author of – and serial unequivocally confident contributor to – this thread, I consider myself the world’s leading authority on this horse.

Aidan O’Brien would be phoning me daily for advice about him if I hadn’t barred the boring git’s number years ago.

Little Big Bear is, of course, already as big as an F-ing HOUSE and you could be forgiven for thinking he is a one-dimensional product of his sire and won’t make normal wfa improvement between now and next May.

But there is middle-distance influence on the dam’s side, he doesn’t pull, and he’s winning at 6f and 6f63yds going away.

Persian Force has run his race and Little Big Bear has destroyed him.

I’m happy enough with 14/1 for the 2,000 Guineas and was even happier to grab 11/4 in a place (5/2 after R4) for today’s race.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1774

“We always thought from day one that he was something different. He’s big, fast, strong and uncomplicated.

“He can go to the Morny, the Nunthorpe, I don’t think he’s short of pace in any way and he’s strong and mature. “He could go to the Middle Park or the Dewhurst. You wouldn’t imagine seven [furlongs] would be any problem.”

Aidan comments are cranking up the hype machine…….its been a minute since we have heard him do so and it is good to see he still has it.

Visually stunning performance yes, but a lot of water to flow under the bridge and lets not forget what Pinatubo did as a 2yr old had people waxing lyrical and he didn’t quite live up to the hype when his contemporaries caught up and surpassed him as a 3yr old.

Pedigree really suggests that he shouldn’t be showing anywhere near this kind of speed as the dam (granddaughter of Arc winner All Along) won at 10F and all bar one of his relations (Sayounique who won at 6F & 7F) have won at distances ranging from 10F up to 2m.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26468

I think he’ll go Dewhurst but that is a fair way away so possibly he’ll go somewhere else first.
    Won’t be the Morny or Nunthorpe. Middle Park might be a bit too close to the Dewhurst
    Is the National Stakes before the Middle Park.?? might go there

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

The National Stakes would be the perfect next target.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.