2017 Queen Alexandra

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 2017 Queen Alexandra

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  LostSoldier3 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15795

Curtain Closer to the meeting, and one I always like to have a go in.

If he turns up here in the same mood as the other day, then Thomas Hobson should be a tough nut to crack, but I’ll have a few quid each way on a couple of them.

He finished down the field last year, but I’m willing to give Grumeti another chance here, as early signs are that he looks a better horse this year, after a very discouraging campaign last time. He was poor last year, and I just wonder if he was feeling the effects of his very hard fought win in The Cesarewitch. Debatable I suppose, and his poor campaign last year included a very weak effort in the Newmarket marathon, but at 40-1, I just cannot leave him alone here, and he’s my main selection.

A horse who’s caught my eye on more than one occasion is Barwick. I’ve never actually bet him before, but always thought a decent race over an extended trip might just be what he needs to finally get the best out of him, as he’s looked a quirky sort in both codes, and the term “fast out of the blocks” will never apply to him. He’ll have enough time to catch up here, and if he doesn’t, somehow, manage to find traffic problems, then I’m hopeful of some excitement from him at 66’s.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

US Army Ranger, a Derby runner-up, reduced to racing against hurdlers and chasers. My oh my.

Dick Francis stuff that story.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Well, Ryan Moore is obviously not hand tied to ride the Coolmore horses as shown when he rides Dartmouth over Idaho in the Hardwicke; therefore, is it not insane to suggest that he could have ridden Thomas Hobson over US Army Ranger if he wanted?

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

QEWY at 6/1 is IMO stealing money!!
    This horse was second in the Ascot Stakes last year and has improved since.
    The only negative is he hasn’t ran since coming back from Oz but that might be because they have been waiting for this.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

I know I’ve gone full circle with this horse this week, but I wouldn’t want to oppose Thomas Hobson at all. Looking at the sectionals, rather than being the genius ride many were calling it, Ryan Moore actually had Thomas Hobson in a sub-optimal place in the Ascot Stakes.

He gets a massive sectional upgrade for that and, on the clock, produced a performance that would have given Big Orange and Order Of St George plenty to think about in the Gold Cup. Suddenly this horse looks like a seriously good stayer.

Montaly without the fav?

St Nicholas Abbey
    St Nicholas Abbey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

Qewy for me.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2542

Us army ranger is too classy for this field

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 337

Qewy at 6-1 and Winning Story 9-1

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Yep, I’ve backed him at 6/1 and had a saver on Thomas Hobson at 5/2.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26327

Qewy, savers on Thomas Hoson and Oriental Fox.

value is everything
    CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Couldn’t resist a speculative each-way punt on Excellent Result at 50/1. Saw him win at Kempton, looked decent and his participation is interesting.

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 876

Joe Fanning not been at Ascot all week, comes here to ride the fox.
    If I’d actually bothered to look at the race I would have noticed this. Booooo

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Not for the first time, this looked too short for US Army Ranger. I could see him in the Grand National one day and just getting outpaced after the elbow and being caught by Bonanza Boy. ;-)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

You’ve got to like Oriental Fox, just keeps plugging away and no race seems to get to the bottom of him. I thought Thomas Hobson ran a blinder considering he was still pulling hard after two miles and won the other day, totally retain the faith that he’d win a cup race if asked.

Qewy ran well too, just looked like he might have needed the run a bit after the break.

Baffling run from Us Army Ranger in some ways. I thought he’d either win, be totally outstayed or dog it in second. None of the above. Where on earth will he go from here?

AndyRAC
    AndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 318

Baffling run from Us Army Ranger in some ways. I thought he’d either win, be totally outstayed or dog it in second. None of the above. Where on earth will he go from here?

Was seemingly ridden to get the trip, then couldn’t quicken into the straight, and then stayed on at the end…..

And while it’s tongue in cheek – the Albert Bartlett over 3m could be his race…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.