The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

2013 was indeed the first to have all (or vast majority) of new fences. Which is why I gave 2012, ie the way I work the race out has not changed much and yet (I know it’s only a small sample but) am still successful. 8)

Those sort of prices and frequencey are what I’d expect of a 40 runner Grand National Joe. And (as you might expect from my bets) imo those “last three runnings” were over-priced (should not have been so big). So SP’s of the “last three runnings” give a false impression of how hard it is to pick the winner.

My 100% book (in my Daily Lays And Plays thread) for 2012 had Neptune Collonges as a fair 18/1 shot, so adding a bookmakers type mark up (1.5%) would’ve been around 14/1, not 33/1 of bookie SP.

I had Aurora’s Encore in my 100% book as a fair 40/1 shot, so adding a mark up (1%) should’ve been around 28/1, not 66/1 of bookies SP.

Last year I had Pineau De Re priced up as a fair 20/1 shot, so adding a mark up (1.5%) again comes to around 15/1, not 25/1 of bookies SP.

So two of the last three winners form (imo before the race) should have started at below your 16/1 mark Joe and the other one should have been 28/1 not 66’s.

‘The way I work the race out’?? :lol: We all know how you work the race out Ginge…You back every horse! :lol: As for your 100% book nonsense,it just shows how wide of the mark your pricing up is. :lol: :lol: You do make me laugh with your drivel. :lol:

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Ginger, yes, I think the fences have completely changed the race.

But those wooden cores (don’t know if you ever saw an undressed fence – I have a pic of Becher’s somewhere, will try to find it) made a huge difference. You simply had to be a good jumper to get round. Very occasionally you’d get a lucky one who made ‘the right mistakes’ and got away with it, but I’m talking about 1% of winners at most.

Doubtless there will have been winners who have been regarded as not the best of jumpers on park tracks, but you will find that when they saw those Aintree fences, they sharpened their acts up double quick.

Off course, some will still overjump, stumble, become unbalanced in some way and not complete. But in hitting the fences pretty low, all they’re doing now is brushing through loose spruce. I doubt the subsequent energy loss is any worse than that suffered by a horse who’s had to make the effort to put in a full, fence-clearing jump.

I’m in no doubt whatever it has massively changed the nature of the race.

Spot on.

Eddie the Shoe said this about the National – "Now the fences have been made easier, it’s a lot harder to sort out because bad jumpers can now win".

No better example of that than the last two winners but amazingly Eddie said it in 1998.

It’s certainly true now and I’m afraid Gingertipster is in cloud cuckoo land. You couldn’t fancy either of the last 2 winners before, during or after the race. It’s just a stamina test with jumping ability at an absolute minimum.

While pleased to see the wooden cores go, extremely sad and disappointed to see the fences so soft The race has lost all interest for me and while it was often called a lottery in the past when it wasn’t, it’s certainly the case now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

‘The way I work the race out’?? :lol: We all know how you work the race out Ginge…You back every horse! :lol: As for your 100% book nonsense,it just shows how wide of the mark your pricing up is. :lol: :lol: You do make me laugh with your drivel. :lol:

Here we go again. :lol:
    I had 15 bets in 2012, 10 in 2013 and 12 in 2014 Gord; there were 40 runners in every race. Hardly “every horse” :lol: . You yourself usually back around 4 horses each way in the Grand National, 4 win bets and 4 place bets. You also like to tell us most of your money these days is made in running. So added to those 8 bets are your in running bets. So you do not have many less bets than I do. :lol: If that’s the way you make a profit then fair enough. Everyone should bet the way that suits them. :)

May be you do not understand? Pricing up a race is not about trying to have the same opinion as the market Gord, indeed there’d be no point in having the same opinion as the market because then I’d have no bets. It’s all about identifying horses at better odds than they should be. I backed Neptune Collonges, Auroras Encore and Pineau De Re because I believed their odds were better than their real chance. How is that “wide of the mark”? :P May be I am just lucky, but strange thing is the more I study the luckier I seem to become. :D

I know you don’t like it because my bet Neptune Collonges won, just getting up to beat your bet Sunnyhill Boy in 2012 Gord. You/he was very unlucky after going wrong on the run-in. But would’ve thought you’d be over it by now. :mrgreen:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Spot on.

Eddie the Shoe said this about the National – “Now the fences have been made easier, it’s a lot harder to sort out because bad jumpers can now win”.

No better example of that than the last two winners but amazingly Eddie said it in 1998.

It’s certainly true now and I’m afraid Gingertipster is in cloud cuckoo land. You couldn’t fancy either of the last 2 winners before, during or after the race. It’s just a stamina test with jumping ability at an absolute minimum.

While pleased to see the wooden cores go, extremely sad and disappointed to see the fences so soft The race has lost all interest for me and while it was often called a lottery in the past when it wasn’t, it’s certainly the case now.

Obviously jumping is not quite as important as it used to be Eddie, but it is still an important aspect of the Grand National. Horses can not make more than one or two errors and still win the National and the better a horse jumps the more likely it is to win… Balthazar King was one of the best jumpers in the 40 runners going in to last year’s National, only one horse beat him. The year before Cappa Bleu and Teaforthree were two of the best jumpers in the field, only one horse beat them. Both Aurora’s Encore and Pineau De Re jumped well in the main. As I remember it, Aurora’s Encore making a couple of minor errors and Pineau made one serious error. Just like other years in the past when good jumpers going in to the race have been beaten by one horse who produced a good enough round of jumping and well enough handicapped to win.

All depends on what you call “couldn’t fancy” Eddie. Here is my write up and assessment of Auroras Encore before the 2013 renewal:

35. 137 [b:2upz1vsj]Auroras Encore[/b:2upz1vsj] 11 10-3 Sue Smith OP45F5
    Three good runs culminated in excellent head 2nd giving 9 lbs to winner Merigo in Scottish National (4m½f Good) in April last year. Auroras Encore raced up with the pace and looked the winner jumping the last, just caught on line. Now off 6 lbs lower mark. Shown very little in 6 starts this season, last one in March. However, vast majority of Auroras Encore’s best lifetime efforts have come in the Spring, including winning over hurdles at this meeting in 2008. Sometimes can make a mistake and stable haven’t had a winner for some time; but some runners have run well and Auroras Encore’s chance may be underestimated by bookmakers.
    Ryan Mania [b:2upz1vsj]2.25% 40/1[/b:2upz1vsj] (28/1)

So I had Aurora’s Encore assessed as a “2.25%” fair 40/1 chance of winning; a 97.75% chance of losing. But @ 66/1 or the 119/1 I took it was (imo) a good value bet.

Here is what I said about last year’s winner before the race:

29. 2713 [b:2upz1vsj]Pineau De Re[/color:2upz1vsj][/b:2upz1vsj] 11 10-6 (143) Dr Richard Newland [b:2upz1vsj]4.75% 20/1[/color:2upz1vsj][/b:2upz1vsj]
    Despite now 11 years old, is in form of his life. Possibly due to a new (under-rated) trainer who has made his name by improving older horses he gets from other yards. Won veterans chase (3m soft) penultimate start off a mark 10 lbs lower than today’s. Always travelling well and despite a mistake at the last winning easily, by 5 lengths from Tullmore Dew who he gave 7 lbs. Excellent 3rd last time out in Pertemps Hurdle (3m good) at Cheltenham, off a mark in that sphere of 140. Doing well by coming from further back than the other principles; is always held up for a late run. Could be more to come back over bigger obstacles. This time last year winning Ulster National (3m4f good) by 23 lengths, off a significantly lower Irish mark of 125, on final start for Philip Fenton. That run (distance) suggesting has a fair chance of staying this extreme trip. Fell at 8th in Becher Chase over Grand National fences in December. Leighton Aspell

So my assessment had Pineau De Re as a “4.75%” fair 20/1 chance of winning, a 95.25% chance of losing. I backed him (saver bet) @ 37/1 and was freely available @ 33/1 on the day.

So I couldn’t exactly “fancy” the last two winners either. But thankfully I thought both “value” to win. For me, betting is never about whether I fancy or “couldn’t fancy”, value is everything Eddie. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I know you don’t like it because my bet Neptune Collonges won, just getting up to beat your bet Sunnyhill Boy in 2012 Gord. You/he was very unlucky after going wrong on the run-in. But would’ve thought you’d be over it by now. :mrgreen:

I put Sunnyhill Boy up on here at 40/1 as the Grand National winner before he even won the Kim Muir so No I haven’t got over it..Of course what makes it worse is you had the bloody winner..I felt as though I was pillaged and plundered that day Ginge! We’ll set the record straight this year though with my 2 National horses Shutthefrontdoor 25/1 and my first ever 100/1 National winner First Lieutenant.You can have the rest of the field…As usual! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

:lol:

As you know, I was once a fan of First Lieutenant. Has a chance if coming back to his best, but that is a big IF imo. Got very lazy and doesn’t seem to want to know these days. Although different fences can rekindle enthusiasm of a few, am usually against lazy horses in the National. If unable to race prominently will probably down tools. Not for me even @ 100/1. Best of luck with that one.

Shutthefrontdoor has a great chance Gord. Deserves to be clear favourite. One of the few unexposed horses and as well handicapped as any in the field. Thought he’d get a few more pounds than that, but I took half your price immediately the weights came out! Not beholden to ground conditions and should stay. Only problem I can forsee (if anything) is jumping. Hasn’t always been good but improved in that department the last twice at Fairyhouse and Carlisle. Hopefully he’ll jump as well left-handed. With AP up probably be around 5/1 by the off.

Even if I would win more if others won – will be cheering him on most. Hope he wins for you, me and AP. :)

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I thought Rocky Creek ran really well this year (5th) and he had some health problems coming into the race. He seemed to run out of petrol but with another year on his back and a touch of class I’ll give him a shot at 33/1 as he’s lightly raced and in top class hands, he’s never fallen either (kiss of death).

When Night In Milan won well at Doncaster in March over 3 miles 2 furlongs I was interested to see if he’d make a National horse one day. 17 places from 28 starts and 7 wins amongst that, he has time on his side. I am not sure soft going is his best surface despite having won on heavy back in the day. Good ground and a decent mark would be interesting if he gets in. He’s 50/1 currently.

Delighted with Rocky Creek today and he’s a best priced 14/1 now. Paul Nicholls said that he felt today was the best nick they have ever had the horse in and I am hoping decent ground on the day will see him last home better.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Delighted with Rocky Creek today and he’s a best priced 14/1 now. Paul Nicholls said that he felt today was the best nick they have ever had the horse in and I am hoping decent ground on the day will see him last home better.

Don’t think the ground had anything to do with it Steve, wouldn’t let that worry you. Travelled well in 2014 National, jumping well, but lost ground from the last fence and eventually finishing 5th. Am sure as can be it was not through lack of stamina or going. I lost money on him in three races last season, each time finding little under presure. Although he wasn’t hard pushed to win today the impression is he’s a different horse this time around after a pre-season breathing operation. Giving 8 lbs and a 6 lengths beating to Le Reve is a fair improvement in form so is going to be well handicapped at Aintree in a race he’s already run well in. 14/1 is worth considering.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1709

Roi Du Mee posted a very nice success today, yet he’s still available at 80/1 with Ladbrokes!?

Do we know whether he’s due to actually run in the National? I’d be very tempted, myself.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Roi Du Mee posted a very nice success today, yet he’s still available at 80/1 with Ladbrokes!?

Do we know whether he’s due to actually run in the National? I’d be very tempted, myself.

£20 still available @ 129/1 on betfair Peter.

Would the owner have better GN options?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Market suggest he won’t be there, though his trainer has it in mind:

He´s a great little horse and I think it´s the fifth year in a row he´s won a graded race. He´s not getting any younger so he might have a crack at the Grand National this year. – Gordon Elliott

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I’ve just added Night in Milan at 50s. Seems to like flat tracks and decent ground, and happy to gamble on him getting the trip.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I backed him at 125/1 when the entries were announced because I couldn’t believe how such an amzing horse could be such a huge price; my assumption was that he was never intended to run in the National but I wasn’t going to miss out on a price like that. I hadn’t realised how tiny he was at the time but the new fences should help his cause. I just wanted a lot of small ew bets while the prices were good to cover me if one of them won.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I’ve just added Night in Milan at 50s. Seems to like flat tracks and decent ground, and happy to gamble on him getting the trip.

Night In Milan and Rocky Creek were my first two picks for this year’s race. Night In Milan made a satisfactory re-appearance behind Grandads Horse when second and then ran well enough in third behind the younger favourite If In Doubt next time, keeping on at one pace fifteen lengths clear of The 4th horse, when giving weight to the first and second. Grandads horse was back in eighth place that day, showing that Night In Milan had reversed the form from their previous meeting by a long way.

My hope is that the National trip will bring about some improvement from Night In Milan and he’s still the 50/1 price he was when I nominated him and Rocky Creek as my first two selections back in October. He’s got a feasible weight and there is an awful lot worse value in the list.

I added Many Clouds to my list and it was nice to hear the owner talking about perhaps running him. I think he’ll start a lot shorter if he does.

I thought about Spring Heeled but decided to wait to see how he went in the Bobbyjo Chase and I wasn’t impressed. I can’t say I’m impressed with Jim Culloty as a trainer and I’m leaving that horse alone now.

I might add one more nearer the time but am happy with the three I have for now. Four horses is the most I ever pick now. Back in the old days I only used to pick one. Through the 80’s and 90’s I had a good record in the race but it’s been stale since the turn of the century apart from a handful of places.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I thought about Spring Heeled but decided to wait to see how he went in the Bobbyjo Chase and I wasn’t impressed. I can’t say I’m impressed with Jim Culloty as a trainer and I’m leaving that horse alone now.

As I said on the Gold Cup thread, I thought Spring Heeled ran a fine race. He’d have hated the ground and I doubt he was anywhere near cherry ripe. He should improve plenty in terms of fitness and for better ground and if I’d fancied him for the National before Saturday I would have been pleased with the run.

The National is not a race that gets me excited to be honest, blasphemous as that may sound. Back In Focus is a horse I’ve always thought had the qualities to run well in the race. He’s had many problems in his career to date but he ran well enough on his return in the Boyne Hurdle. He goes very well through the mud but won at Cheltenham on good to soft so he should be fine on the likely ground. I think he’s well treated off 150.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

As I said on the Gold Cup thread, I thought Spring Heeled ran a fine race. He’d have hated the ground and I doubt he was anywhere near cherry ripe. He should improve plenty in terms of fitness and for better ground and if I’d fancied him for the National before Saturday I would have been pleased with the run.

The National is not a race that gets me excited to be honest, blasphemous as that may sound. Back In Focus is a horse I’ve always thought had the qualities to run well in the race. He’s had many problems in his career to date but he ran well enough on his return in the Boyne Hurdle. He goes very well through the mud but won at Cheltenham on good to soft so he should be fine on the likely ground. I think he’s well treated off 150.

Could be the ground was against him Tommy but I am having decreasing faith in his trainer with every passing day. Lord Windermere is going to be a big lay for me in The Gold Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Night in Milan the value at 50/1 and 5 Places.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 321 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.