The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Great Yorkshire Chase 2014

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Great Yorkshire Chase 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15020

It’s failed to beat the elements 3 times in the last 4 years, which is a shame, as there’s normally a decent enough field on show.

The type of race where the winner will immediately bring Aintree to mind, but there’s been no horses placed at Aintree in recent years who’ve figured at the business end of this. There has been a handful though, who’ve ran in this, before going on to run well in the JLT Chase on day 1 of The Festival, including An Accordion, who did the double in 2008.

The last winner was Calgary Bay in 2012, and he won off 151, though that seems a bit of a blip, and may be prudent to look for those around 125-135.

Running in the same colours as Calgary Bay, will be Loch Ba. He ran on well to finish 4th in the Betfred Classic Chase at Warwick after making a great recovery down the back, a mistake which really should have put him on the floor. It certainly ruined any chance he had, but the overall impression was, before the mistake, that he was running a big race, and with this step back in trip, he’s definitely considered again. Not from an antepost perspective though, as remains debatable whether or not they’ll turn him out quickly again for this.

Sam Winner heads the market at 11’s and 12’s, and he looks more interesting to me over fences, than he ever did over hurdles. Sill a novice, he’s caught the eye in his last couple of runs over fences, after a rather inauspicious start over the larger obstacles in 2011. I think he’s got the potential to be a top end handicapper at the very least over fences, and if taking up his engagement here, bound to be short priced favourite. Paul Nicholls also has a good few others entered, namely, Unioniste, Pacha Du Polder, Mon Parrain, The Minack, and Harry The Viking. Unioniste disappointed a few in The Lexus, but was a big ask for him, and it may be in future seasons, he’ll feature more prominently in races like that, back to this grade, and he warrants more respect. He was very impressive at Aintree, and a reproduction of that form makes him a serious contender. Pacha Du Polder, and Mon Parrain are a rather enigmatic duo. Mon Parrain blasted on to the scene with as impressive a visual performance as you could ask for at Sandown nearly 3 years ago, before running a blinder in The Topham. He’s clearly had his problems, and has only run a handful of times since, being disappointing on the whole. He pulled up on his re-appearance, albeit over hurdles, but there’s just the suspicion that they’ve kept with him, as there’s more to come. Pacha Du Polder is very in and out, and his last couple of runs have been very poor. Those looking at him, would be expecting for a repeat of his Newbury win last season, where his victory was a bit of a surprise, coming in at 18’s. You could argue in the races he’s won, he’s not beat much, and he’d be found out again, but any representative from the stable in a race like this warrants respect. The Minack has a long absence to overcome, following an x-certificate fall at Ascot in late 2012. Prior to that, he’d been in fine form, winning a few races, with plenty of decent sorts behind him. Very interesting, and long term, if coming back to his best, may just have a few nice prizes in him.

Emma Lavelle, landed the Betfred Classic with Shotgun Paddy, and she’s got a couple entered up here. Court By Surprise won a competitive handicap here, just over a year ago, and though following that up with a lacklustre display at the course, he’s not done that much wrong so far this season, and he’s difficult to discount. My preference though, would be for Gullinbursti. Ran a great race at Haydock in The Fixed Brush Hurdle, running out of petrol near the end, and although he was 3rd in a 4 runner affair at Newbury last time, he was running on again at the end. I’ve long since thought he’s got a good prize in him, and he looks a solid each way proposition. To me anyway.

Equally as interesting to me is Our Mick from the Donald McCain yard. 5lbs lower than when second in The JLT Chase at The Festival, there’s room to manoeuvre with regards a big run here, and keeping him on nice mark for a repeat bid at Cheltenham in March. On paper, a bit to find with Unioniste, for a lengthy beating at Aintree, he’s the type to bounce back quickly. Kruzhlinin is also entered by McCain, and he’s on something of a roll. He’s won his last 2, but this is a different proposition altogether, and he’s went quickly up the weights. Easily his stiffest test since disappointing at Cheltenham last season, be some effort to land this, and no reason why he can’t stop progressing. His stablemate, Super Duty ran a solid race last time, and his dismal showing in The Hennesssy was quickly forgotten. Not as easily forgotten was his run in The Kim Muir last year, and he comes here with a live chance.

JP has a couple entered, in Lost Glory, and Storm Survivor. Storm Survivor was a horse I had high hopes for this season, but has questions to answer after his Ascot run, though on previous showings I don’t think the handicapper had quite got to the bottom of him. Lost Glory, however, despite costing me a few quid at Aintree, is just given the nod of his 2. Back to his last winning mark, and has plenty of runs in recent times that give him a chance here. His last run here was poor though, and rarely for me, I’ll leave the JP runners out of the equation. A type of approach that’ll never backfire :|

The Alan King stable obviously has it’s problems just now, but all of his 3 entries are of interest. On his day, Walkon is a very nice horse, and this type of test looks ideal, barring a repeat of a jumping performance shown at Aintree last time. King also has Kumbeshwar, who could be a bit of a dark horse. Yet to tackle this type of trip, which is a concern, however, he’s been running respectably in hot races, and as a result, his mark is plummeting. Can see a big run, either here, or later in the season, being on the agenda. Midnight Appeal was mightily impressive at Bangor, before hating every minute of the experience over the National fences in The Grand Sefton. He may need to drop a couple of pounds to win again, but his Bangor run may be a more accurate reflection of his chances, and not without place prospects.

Time For Rupert is a bit of a puzzle. Off the track for over a year, before his comeback last month at Ascot over hurdles, he dropped out very quickly which is a worry, especially with his history of bleeding! Apparently sound afterwards though, I suppose he was entitled to need the run. I used to follow him religiously, though he’s got a lot if questions to answer now, and I tend to avoid him nowadays! It’s less than 2 years since his big run in The Gold Cup though, and he’s now off 144………that may be enough for some to take a chance.

The first 2 home in last years Grand National, are also amongst the entries! Teaforthree was a huge disappointment in The Welsh National, as I expected him to continue progressing this season. It’s easy to forgive any horse a poor run in that race though, as it’s a proper slog, and he’s not written off yet, bound to look more tempting for Aintree as the season continues. Auroras Encore, like many National winners, will find life tough of his new mark, and he’s bound to need this, should he line up! His stablemate, Vintage Star is well fancied, as low as 14’s, however he’s coming off the back of 2 hard races, particularly at Chepstow. Probably, on the balance of things, a bit underpriced, but his trainer has knack of big runs in these races, from types like this. She also has De Boitron entered. I think De Boitron will land another race before the season is out, though whether it’s here remains debatable, especially after his showing last week. I’ve see him lobbing away in races like this before, without him finding anything, and he’s passed over till later in the season. If the trainer can get some improvement out of him quickly, then I’ll miss the boat.

Talking of trainers with a knack of landing races like this, Venetia Williams has 3 entered. Be a big ask for Relax to land this, bearing in mind his run at Kempton on Saturday. Niceonefrankie enters unknown territory at this trip, though he did have Double Ross behind earlier in the season, and his run behind Cantlow in November has a better look to it now. The one who appeals most is Quartz De Thaix. A horse I follow, he tends to run well for a few races, then, well it seems to me, he just sulks a little, rather than finding himself in the assessors grip. More of his old self at Cheltenham on New Years Day over hurdles, and as he’s dropped 9lbs since his run at The Festival last March, he makes lots of appeal at 20’s from an each way viewpoint.

Nicky Henderson has 4 entered, including the admirable 12yo Roberto Goldback, who needs a bit of assistance from the handicapper, and Hadrians Approach, who, although looks to have a hard task off his current mark, and also has occasional jumping issues, there’s no doubting his ability, looking at his record when completing. Ma Filleule is back in the winning ways after Kempton last month, but of most interest from his quartet, is Giorgio Quercus. Back to the winners enclosure last time out, he’s been given plenty of time to recover from that. That was a likeable performance, and he’s only up 6lbs. He’ll still be nearly a stone below a mark he won off 2 years ago. No surprise to see Henderson work his magic with him, and decent value at 20’s.

The performance of Annacotty was somewhat overlooked in The Feltham, and I thought it was a nice enough display, winning very easily in the end. I think he may surprise a few people later in the season, but can’t see him heading here in truth. If he takes up the engagement, I’d quickly reconsider.

Night In Milan from the Keith Reveley yard is quietly fancied at 16’s. Coming off the back of a win here last month, the 8lb rise shouldn’t be too prohibitive, and he had fellow entries, Baille Anrai, and Mart Lane behind him that day, as well as Lost Glory, and runner up De Boitron.

Also fancied at 16’s, is Night Alliance who’s been in great form this season, winning 3 out of his last 4, and had Loch Ba behind him last time. He’s went up a whopping 31 lbs, and though the weight will eventually catch up with him, based on his recent runs, I’m not going to suggest it’ll be here, though, of course, life will be tougher.

The Druids Nephew came up against the very impressive Mendip Express last time, but had the first 2 home in The Welsh National behind him earlier in the season, and on those 2 runs he has nice solid look about him at 16’s.

I had a go Antepost on Attaglance for The December Gold Cup, and although I went off him nearer the time, I didn’t anticiapte such a lifeless display. I’ve been hoping to see him stepped up in trip, and if the same mood as he was in The Paddy Power, then he might just surprise a few.

Tullamore Dew, 2009 winner Big Fella Thanks, and Fruity O’Rooney, although getting on a bit, and having had their chances, strike me as the types to potentially do a “Carruthers”, and run well for a long way, though ultimately finding a couple of younger improvers having too much speed for them. 25’s to find out.

Of the complete outsiders, it’s not that long ago that Trustan Times, had a good field behind him when landing The Fixed Brush Hurdle, and had some very nice horses in front of him in the same race this season. This would be his first run over fences since his Novice Season, and he looks very generous at 33’s, and he’s one I’d actually give some serious consideration to.

I’ve thrown a few quid at Gullinbursti, though if stable soundness could be taken on trust, I’d probably take a chance on Kumbeshwar too.

I’ll probably hold off now until final decs, but gun to the head, I would take a chance on either Trustan Times, Giorgio Quercus, or Quartz De Thaix at attractive odds.

After all this it’ll probably be frozen off again :roll: , but I’ll be keeping my fingers, and everything else crossed, that it goes ahead.

• Total Posts 30

Excellent write up & i’d have to agree with you regarding Trustan Times. Always felt there’s a decent chaser there waiting to pop out & is on a lenient mark, considering he won the 2012 Haydock fixed brush hurdle off a mark of 142 & has been allotted a very generous mark of 139 over fences.

• Total Posts 30

Time for Rupert, is another i would have a small wager on should he line up. Spent most of his career contesting G1 & 2 races. He’s a huge danger off 143 if he can get back to anywhere near his best.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Can’t wait to see The Minack back on the track. I think Ruperts gone, I’m afraid, but I really hope I’m wrong.

• Total Posts 30

Can’t wait to see The Minack back on the track. I think Ruperts gone, I’m afraid, but I really hope I’m wrong.

Evening Moehat

Rupert may well be gone & we’ll soon find out, i suspect!

He’s had a couple of near death experiences & if it doesn’t work out, i hope Webber retires him, for a hopefully long & happy retirement. Until then, i’m prepared to keep the faith one more time.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’m sure he’s not a soft ground horse, though. Going back to a comment from the girl that looks after him when he was still hurdling. They had such dreams for him back then. Mind you, I’m talking as if his career has been awful and it hasn’t. Fingers crossed for him anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Very exciting race (and another terrific write up). Upon first glance at the entries; Unioniste and Time For Rupert were the first two to jump off the page. Though admittedly i’d be slightly trepidatious about him carrying top weight in this. I’ve always liked the horse and he did me a favor at Aintree a couple runs ago and with a step down in class, he could prove dangerous.

I never latched onto the hype that came with Time For Rupert though his run in the Gold Cup a couple years back was really quite exciting. If he can reproduce that kind of effort off his current mark; i could find myself placing my first wager on him.

Tullamore Dew will get a sentimental E/W punt on the day. Seems a new character this season and i wouldn’t be surprised to see him run a big race. Should go off at a nice price too.

For once i’ll be leaving Auroras Encore and Roberto Goldback alone… :( Like you said; they both need a hand from the handicapper and this will likely be too hot for them off their current marks. Maybe this race will go a way towards helping their marks slip for Aintree :roll:

Your write up also turned me towards Quartz De Thaix. This seems the perfect kind of race for him and i now really fancy him :lol:

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

VTC: Another superb write up, always a pleasure to read.
    Having checked all the trends I have come up with a nice 20/1 poke that you gave a nice mention to, unusual for me not to jump in on the ante post wagon but I want to wait and see what connections have to say.
    Loch Ba is the beast, always throws in a howler of a mistake but one of these days he won’t and will get his just desserts.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

After a write up like that VTC it better not be frozen off! I walked the course last Monday and it was in perfect condition,a lovely covering of Grass but thats because it hasn’t Snowed on it.If I was a betting man I’d go 1/8 its on so nows the time to take the Ante-Post prices if you have a strong fancy and like others I think the

real

Time for Rupert

at 25/1 would be a good thing.I too like

Loch Ba

at 20/1 and of course the horse who just cant jump……

Hadrians Approach

at 14/1,thats my 3 from 50 entries.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Unlike VTC’s preview, the line up so far has yet to capture my attention for too long, although The Druid’s Nephew is interesting. The form of that Chepstow second looks strong as i think you can excuse DLB at Cheltenham. Welsh National 1-2 back in 3rd and 4th.
    Last seasons best form ties in well with higher rated horses now.

16-1 might underestimate him

• Total Posts 1217

Mart Lane looks an improver and Native Gallery a strong stayer, both proven on soft ground, my two against the field. A lot of these would prefer better ground, looks like the heavens are going to open come the weekend.

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

I’ve opted for Mart Lane too :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Oh who am i kidding? Come on Roberto! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Glad i backed The Druid’s Nephew earlier. Now half the price in some places.

Hopefully continues it’s run of January wins

Jan 2012 = won
    Jan 2013 = won

• Total Posts 67

Solix at a big price is interesting for a small each way bet. Similar price when 6th and 5th in last 2 handicaps on top weight. Near the bottom of the weights here, obviously needs to improve on his runs this season but could run into a place.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13243

Unioniste is very hard to look past, but his gambled on price (best 7/2 at this moment, and that will disappear) makes him less appealing. He might just make it look a big price if he runs away from them, but I’m having a speculative e/w on According to Trev.

Admittedly he has to improve from his last couple of attempts, although he was going alright when he came down at the 10th last time at Newbury, so it’s hard to say where he would have finished. His first two runs this season were very encouraging, he will have to be back to that kind of form, but NTD has won this race twice with first season chasers and hopefully this has been the plan for a while. I hope there is no more rain, he should manage good to soft, although I think he probably prefers it good. On the plus side he is at the right end of the handicap and the decent young Ryan hatch takes a further 7lbs off him.

Obviously there are ifs and buts, which is why he is 20/1, but I think it’s a risk worth taking, although it’s bloody typical that there are 15 runners in a competitive handicap like this, it’s either that or 16 runners and one gets pulled out before the race. I obviously haven’t lost my "bah humbug" head from last month :|

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Now backed Kruzhlinn – far too big a price on form, especially it’s most recent run.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.