The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Galway Plate 2014

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Galway Plate 2014

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15020

Biggest Jumps race of the summer, and the highlight of The Galway Festival. Normally won by a decent sort, and was landed last year by Carlingord Lough who went on to enjoy a fine season.

Not surprisingly, one of those races that are littered with entries from JP McManus……it doesn’t make things any easier.

Along with Golden Wonder, it’s 3 JP entries who initially catch the eye, namely, Cause of Causes, Wise Old Owl, and Quantitativeeasing.

I’ve had this race in mind for a while now for Golden Wonder, and coming off the back of a fine second in The Irish National, where he travelled like a dream, there’s not much doubt there’s more to come from him. On another day he would have landed the spoils at Fairyhouse, and the 6lb rise doesn’t look too harsh. I was lucky enough to catch him at 33’s then, and he looks a sure fire each way prospect again. The 16’s with Coral caught the eye, and I had a wee go at those odds, he’s now best priced 12’s.

The real standout price though is Cause of Causes, generally available at 20’s. Had him in mind for this for months now, and fully expected him to be around 9’s, 10’s at this stage. Got to have a go at that price, and for a horse, who I still think will go off single figures, if not favourite, it’s very much a risk worth taking. Although slightly disappointing in The Irish National, he’s clearly one to keep the faith with, and I can’t possibly leave him alone. He was a crossbar horse for me last season, finishing second in The Kim Muir, where a last fence blunder all but cost him the race, and more difficult to take, was his second in The Paddy Power in December, where, the 6-1 fav, he just lost out to Rockyaboya. I was on at 25’s, and was gutted.

Keeping up the theme of horses finishing second, both Wise Old Owl, and Quantitativeeasing, have both finished runner up in this, and both times with my money on them.

Quantitativeeasing ran a screamer last year at 33’s, and it went a small way to repaying the money he’s lost me the last couple of years. A very small way :D He’s available at around 25’s, and would be no surprise to see him suddenly spring back to life in this. A bit temperamental to say the least, you just never know what you’re going to get.

Wise Old Owl is a very lightly raced horse, who’s clearly had his problems. Seems longer than 3 years ago, that I bet him at very nice prices antepost, only to see him go down to Blazing Tempo, having been bet into 13-2. He wasn’t seen again till the following seasons renewal, but he never really threatened, taking a right few quid of mine with him. Not seen for the best part of 2 years after that, finally making his reappearance at The Punchestown Festival. Although he finished midfield, it was an eyecatching comeback, full of promise, and after it, I very much had this race in mind for him.

JP has just the other 11 entered, and with it being a race he seems to really target, it’s a total minefield.

Near the head of the weights for him are Kid Cassidy, and Alderwood. Both are coming off the back of a rather flat season, though Kid Cassidy did at least get the better of Sire De Grugy. The trip is something of an unknown for the pair of them, and although both very decent animals, there’s just the suspicion that there’s better handicapped horses lurking further down. However, worth noting that Kid Cassidy has now moved to Christy Roche, and a similar change of scenery, having also moved from Nicky Hendersons, didn’t do Quantitativeeasing any harm last year. Vulcanite from the Charlie Longsdon yard, is probably better known as a hurdler, and although in fine fettle, he remains something of a surprise entry. Clearly a horse with a good few seasons ahead of him, I just see The Galway Hurdle as a more attractive option for him. Both the Jonjo entries, It’s A Gimme, and Rum and Butter merit some respect. It’s A Gimme, fresh from his victory in The Summer Plate, looks as if he’s got another decent prize in him, he certainly looks a wee bit ahead of the handicapper. Very interesting, should he make the journey, and I’d favour him just ahead of his stablemate, though Rum and Butter is on something of a roll as well. Competitive Edge is a likeable enough horse, and not easily dismissed. Certainly, should he manage to stay on his feet, he seems to have the knack of always, at least making the frame, though, surely, there’s a couple in here who he should find too good. Jacksonslady was the third horse in a JP 1,2,3 in this last year, and she comes here 3lbs lower this time, that’s enough to keep her on the radar. His other entries, including previous winner, Bob Lingo, may just struggle to get in.

Gigginstown have a more modest entry with just the 6 listed. Balnaslow is the most fancied of those, and certainly based on his placed efforts behind On His Own in The Thyestes, and in The Kim Muir, this is well deserved. The drawback with him is his poor show when he pulled at the Punchestown Festival, which was very disappointing, and I still feel they still haven’t figured out the best trip for him. It’s going to click into place for him one day, and I’m sure many will feel this could be his day. Road To Riches is a horse who I thought would have made more of a name for himself by now, but he’s a bit in and out, and I expected more from him on a couple of occasions last year. He did finish the season on a high though, finding only Operating too good for him at Punchestown, and on that showing, he might just figure here. The other entries might struggle to make it, though Midnight Game is looking increasingly well handicapped, and for a horse who’s kept some decent company in the past, he’s worth keeping an eye on at 25’s.

Joint favourite at this stage is the Dessie Hughes trained Art Of Logistics. Going the right way, having won 2 on the bounce, and he did claim the scalp of Balnaslow last year, however, it’s just slightly questionable what he beat in those recent victories, and he was very disappointing at Cheltenham. Backers would be hoping the step up in trip does the trick, though I suspect he might be available at better odds on the day, so maybe one to hold fire with.

Burn and Turn won nicely at The Punchestown Festival, in the mares chase, and she’s the sole entry from Jessica Harrington. There were a couple of others of hers, that I had in mind for this, so it’s not gone unnoticed that the trainers concentrating her efforts with her. Got to be considered a serious contender.

Another entry I find very hard to dismiss, is Kim Muir winner Spring Heeled. Don’t think he got the credit for his performance that day, and I still think he’s a star of future seasons. Ran a strange race in The bet365 Gold Cup, but he was full of running at the end. Had Burn and Turn behind him last year, and some of his defeats don’t read too badly either. If he doesn’t figure here, it won’t put me off him later in the season, very much one to keep an eye on.

Usuel Smurfer put himself bang in the frame for this with his win at Fairyhouse in April, and he fairly caught the eye when finishing third at Killarney in May. He’s shown the hustle and bustle of this race won’t scare him, and he’s an interesting contender.

The race at Punchestown, in which Wise Old Owl made his comeback, saw Orpheus Valley run out an impressive winner. He’s only up 6lbs for that, and if in the same mood, he’s a real danger to all. He beat Competitive Edge into 2nd that day, and filling the other places were Pass The Hat, and Aupcharlie. Both aren’t out of this, though slight preference would be for Pass The Hat. Still looks fairly treated after his Leapordstown win last season, and he’s another I like the look of. Aupcharlie, when he stays on his feet, is a very nice horse, but I’d like to see him come down a couple of pounds.

It was difficult not to be impressed by the manner of victory in The Summer Cup, by the Rebecca Curtis trained The Romford Pele, and he looks very promising indeed. He’s been fair hammered for that win, but the 20’s available is sure to appeal to a few. He really did win that race in style. Another potential challenger from across The Irish Sea, is the very promising Caid Du Berlais from the Paul Nicholls yard. Fresh from 2 very game performances at The Cheltenham, and Aintree Festivals, albeit over hurdles, he looks a horse with a proper career ahead of him. Slightly fluffed his lines over the larger obstacles at Doncaster before that, but going even further back last season, he certainly didn’t disgrace himself behind Jezki over hurdles. Hard to know exactly what to make of him for this, but surely folly to ignore.

Away We Go finally got back to winning ways last time out, over this trip, and having placed in both the 2013 Irish National, and bet365 Gold Cup, he’s certainly versatile. He had an interrupted season last year, not being seen until The Irish National. He’s coming along nicely, and could easily see him making up for lost time here.

The Henry De Bromhead trained Lord Ben, is another in good fettle, and he’s going for a 3 timer. Maybe not the most obvious for this, but no ignoring the form he’s in, and supporters should see him at the very least run his race.

As per, in races like this, there’s loads of familiar names, and some that have certainly been good to me over the years. Golden Kite fits that bill nicely, and for an outsider, available at 25’s, I really don’t think he’d disgrace himself. Others like Fisher Bridge, and Cootamundra, who although hard to catch right, have certainly paid their way for me from an “in-running” perspective. Fisher Bridge is sure to be bang up there at some point, and Cootamundra is sure to travel like a good thing, so if that kind of bets your thing, they might be worth a wee look. Both have decent each way prospects in their own right anyway, and Cootamundra only has to repeat the form of last years Troytwon, to cause a bit of an upset.

Really nice look to it at the moment, and there’s loads not been given a mention, including 1 or 2 others who might just figure, but a race to look forward to anyway.

Cause of Causes at 20’s, and Golden Wonder at 16’s for me then……..no doubt with one more to follow.

GL

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I like Usuel Smurfer from a form perspective.

Investigate his name in Urban Dictionary and all sorts of funny headlines are possible!

• Total Posts 15020

Shame he didn’t make it TYF, unless of very late withdrawls. At least, you get any dough back, unlike those who backed Cause of Causes :( I’ll stick with my other 3.

Alderwoods been all the rage since the booking of AP, but whoever wines, it’s a cracking line up, should be a decent race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Looks one of the best plates ive seen in a while. Lots of really good young horses in there. Alderwood is the price he is based mainly on being McCoys pick. Seen once in year and ran terribly. He is 10 and giving the guts of half a stone to some useful sorts.

SHL

• Total Posts 67

Fair play to Shane Shortall, some ride by a 7lb claimer. Terrible news about Kid Cassidy, remember he survived the electrocution incident at Newbury a few years ago and went on to have some great runs at the top level, including beating Champion Chaser Sire De Grugy and coming 2nd in the Grand Annual. Heart goes out to everyone involved.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Perhaps we could give electric shock therapy to more horses.

• Total Posts 67

Perhaps we could give electric shock therapy to more horses.

????

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Third reserve Usuel Smurfer is an interesting one in the consolation race today.

• Total Posts 15020

Taking a chance on him myself TYF.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Aww just touched off – bad luck VTC. That was a painful one!

• Total Posts 15020

Thanks TYF, though managed to get the Forecast (on the other thread), and had him each way, so got a few quid back anyway. Goes without saying the win would have been a bit nicer though.

He seems one to keep on side of for the timebeing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.