The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2014

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Apparently he was found to be stiff behind post race, but haven’t heard anything else subsequently. However, based on the initial report would be surprised to see again before the second half of the season.

The race seemed an odd target for Indian Maharaja. O’Brien had a sweep at Chester last season with the trials, including the horse who went on to win the Derby. I would be inclined to follow a winning system but the choice is not mine to make.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Unless something changes radically I cannot see R.Strauss winning the Guineas on today’s run.Aidan’s need to be able to win from the body of the field.Check out Leopardstown today 2/4/2014

• Total Posts 1982

Agree with everything else but this suggestion is dubious to say the least. He owes his position as a short-priced favourite to the O’Brien hype machine. He has had three races, none of which demonstrated that he definitely has the ability to win an average Guineas. His claim to fame so far is beating a (below par?) maiden winner in a four-horse race at Leopardstown.

He doesn’t deserve to be a short-priced favourite, and I agree that his odds have contracted due to typical Coolmore hype.

However, had it not been for a sluggish start on debut he would be a wonderfully bred, unbeaten colt trained by Aidan O’Brien. He improved markedly last season and the form of his first success looks pretty solid, with the runner-up posting a very respectable effort in the Moyglare.

It could well be that Australia was flattered on his final start, but he beat a highly regarded, five length maiden winner by half a dozen lengths and only time will tell if that is an accurate representation of his ability.

Sea The Stars entered the guineas picture with an identical profile and turned out to be a superstar.

There’s little doubt that Coolmore have noticed the first colt’s classic to be average. He doesn’t need to be a world beater over eight furlongs to win the race, and chances are it will be the last time we see him over such a trip. If connections greatly exaggerate his speed before the race and Australia wins handsomely, such stirring rhetoric will be seemingly vindicated without the colt necessarily competing against top class milers. They have one eye on stud already, as you would expect.

War Command would have been a massive threat and I’m of the opinion an alternative target has been selected to prevent him from possibly beating his stable companion. If anything, Australia seems a more suitable type for the french guineas than War Command!

As it stands, I like the Richard Hannon-trained pair. I have already explained my preference for Toormore, but Richard Hughes adores Night Of Thunder and he looked very promising as a juvenile. It should also be noted that his sire, Dubawi, has an excellent record in this event during the past five years. He has been responsible for Makfi (1st 33/1), Dubawi Gold (2nd 33/1) and Hermival (3rd 16/1). Night Of Thunder is also trading at generous odds prior to his expected return at Newbury.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Agree with everything else but this suggestion is dubious to say the least. He owes his position as a short-priced favourite to the O’Brien hype machine. He has had three races, none of which demonstrated that he definitely has the ability to win an average Guineas. His claim to fame so far is beating a (below par?) maiden winner in a four-horse race at Leopardstown.

He doesn’t deserve to be a short-priced favourite, and I agree that his odds have contracted due to typical Coolmore hype.

However, had it not been for a sluggish start on debut he would be a wonderfully bred, unbeaten colt trained by Aidan O’Brien. He improved markedly last season and the form of his first success looks pretty solid, with the runner-up posting a very respectable effort in the Moyglare.

It could well be that Australia was flattered on his final start, but he beat a highly regarded, five length maiden winner by half a dozen lengths and only time will tell if that is an accurate representation of his ability.

Sea The Stars entered the guineas picture with an identical profile and turned out to be a superstar.

There’s little doubt that Coolmore have noticed the first colt’s classic to be average. He doesn’t need to be a world beater over eight furlongs to win the race, and chances are it will be the last time we see him over such a trip. If connections greatly exaggerate his speed before the race and Australia wins handsomely, such stirring rhetoric will be seemingly vindicated without the colt necessarily competing against top class milers. They have one eye on stud already, as you would expect.

War Command would have been a massive threat and I’m of the opinion an alternative target has been selected to prevent him from possibly beating his stable companion. If anything, Australia seems a more suitable type for the french guineas than War Command!

As it stands, I like the Richard Hannon-trained pair. I have already explained my preference for Toormore, but Richard Hughes adores Night Of Thunder and he looked very promising as a juvenile. It should also be noted that his sire, Dubawi, has an excellent record in this event during the past five years. He has been responsible for Makfi (1st 33/1), Dubawi Gold (2nd 33/1) and Hermival (3rd 16/1). Night Of Thunder is also trading at generous odds prior to his expected return at Newbury.

Agree entirely about War Command and the target.

Not sure at this stage whether the Guineas will be average or not. Toormore has form on the board and the likes of Kingman, Berkshire, Be Ready and Lat Hawill all have plenty of potential. I wouldn’t be that certain Australia could beat any of them.

As regards being beautifully bred so were her previous foals and they ended up unreliable at best. There are loads of classically bred types entered up by the major powers every year. Most will end up not being much better than useless.

Add in the dreadful start by O’Brien and perhaps he should be the one looking for a prep race for Australia.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

Apparently Johann Strauss was the eye catcher when team O’Brien went for the gallop the other week……… :shock:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

But Johann Strauss got bludgeoned by Kingston Hill last season. Can’t see him turning the form around with Mr Varian’s firecracker.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Hard to know what to make of today’s race.Looked like he was coming to take his race then got forced back and never contended after that.Would suggest a more experienced jockey.Seems to over rate his mounts.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Karakontie

is due to make his reappearance in the Prix De Fontainebleau at Longchamp on 13th April. Connections felt today’s Prix Djebel, won by

Kiram

came too soon for their horse.

Firm plans will not be made until after his seasonal debut but I can’t stress enough to potential backers how few runners Jonathan Pease has in both Britain and Ireland and how modest his record is from those representatives. Get NRNB if you can.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

The Greenham is shaping up to be a promising renewal and whatever wins will be sliced in by Saturday evening. My sole bet thus far is Toormore at 20/1 but I am not feeling the vibes I was hoping for regarding him so it’s time for a saver.

Looking at Kingman he seems the horse I want to side with despite John Gosden’s relatively modest 2000G record. It was no secret he was highly regarded and I find it baffling that Kingston Hill is the same price for the Newmarket classic given his profile as a soft ground Racing Post trophy winner. I am convinced Kingman will have too many gears for the Varian trained colt and he’s an easy and confident pick for me at the same odds.

John Gosden had three winners at Nottingham today, including an easy win for G M Hopkins who was an eyecatcher for me on his debut last last year when fourth to Coventry hopeful Championship. G M Hopkins ran too bad to true next time and I was somewhat surprised to see him at 11/4 today against a Cumani inmate.

The wins today add confidence to well being within the stable and 9/1 looks big now with a very false looking price on Australia at the head of the market. I am expecting Kingman to emerge from the weekend at odds less than 4/1 and so it’s 20pts win at 9/1 and a hopeful decent show from Toormore in the Craven to see me sitting with good odds on two live contenders come the big day.

Be Ready is out to 20/1 and I prefer Outstrip of the Godolphin possibles. Berkshire and Kingston Hill are the ones I’d be looking to lay at current odds.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Another three (so far) winners for the Gosden stable at Newbury today. The early odds show Kingman at 15/8 for tomorrow’s Greenham and it will be interesting to see how the market reacts to the red hot stable form.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

Gosden had bagged 5 winners from 8 runners prior to today.
    At this rate he’ll be giving Hannon a run for his money.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Gosden had bagged 5 winners from 8 runners prior to today.
    At this rate he’ll be giving Hannon a run for his money.

A fourth winner on the card for John G with Bright Approach who accounted for Be My Gal, who had a previous run behind Gosden’s Western Hymn, who was a most impressive winner earlier today.

The difference between Gosden and Hannon is that the former can produce winners over longer trips. They are both a credit to the sport though.

• Total Posts 1982

The Greenham is shaping up to be a promising renewal and whatever wins will be sliced in by Saturday evening. My sole bet thus far is Toormore at 20/1 but I am not feeling the vibes I was hoping for regarding him so it’s time for a saver.

I’ve backed both Hannon colts antepost (although they also have an interesting third string in the shape of Shifting Power who is set for the Free Handicap).

Toormore had already gone three-for-three and won a Group 1 before Night Of Thunder even set foot on a racecourse, but word is that Richard Hughes jumped off after Doncaster and said they had a better 2000 Guineas candidate in this chap.

I would be surprised and disappointed if the winner didn’t emerge from either Kingman or Night Of Thunder at Newbury tomorrow.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Toormore had already gone three-for-three and won a Group 1 before Night Of Thunder even set foot on a racecourse, but word is that Richard Hughes jumped off after Doncaster and said they had a better 2000 Guineas candidate in this chap.

I would be surprised and disappointed if the winner didn’t emerge from either Kingman or Night Of Thunder at Newbury tomorrow.

I think they will have it between them.

Night Of Thunder could be anything but I think he’s a very silly price at as low as 8/1 for the 2000 Guineas. His first win has not thrown up a single winner from 18 starts since and a win in a 5 runner Doncaster race on soft ground in late October doesn’t really warrant a single figure price for the colts opening classic. He could be the business but I’d rather back him to win tomorrow’s race at 7/2, than take 8/1 for the big one, as I think he really needs to put in something special in The Greenham to justify his odds for Newmarket. I’m not having a go at the horse at all, we don’t know how good he is yet, but it seems odd that his stablemate and group 1 winner Toormore is only two points shorter in some parts of the ante-post list. I have to say I’m a little concerned for Toormore at the moment.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

Steve, I wouldn’t worry too much about Toormore’s price the 2 firms that go 7/1 need the business 888sport and sportingbet, does anyone hold accounts with these? Toormore will shorten for the guineas before the Craven and shorten again after winning the Craven, Hannon will say he handles the track well and he’ll shorten again, Hughes, will Hughes be back by then? anyway Hughes will say he the best horse he has ever ridden and guess what, he starts the Guineas joint fav……. :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

After watching Kingman today, maybe joint 2nd fav after the Craven……. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

The vibes for Night of Thunder is that he is a very good animal but probably more suited and better on a softer surface.

Thanks Nathan, should have noticed this myself really, will be interesting to see how he does this season.

He’s yet to run on decent ground ben so there is no guarantees that he will not act on it besides who knows what the state of the ground will be come guineas days, it is the cricket season afterall.

Richard Hannon said of Night Of Thunder: "He has beaten by a very good horse, but he has run a super race. You can’t not go for a Guineas on the back of one horse, but the ground might suit him better in France, so he could go there."

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.