The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2014

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    theinsideman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

If Toormore gets there safe and sound, he bolts up surely? Proper impressive at the Curragh.

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

Labrokes now quoting 2/1 Australia for the 2000 Guineas !!! 9/4 for the Derby. Strange as I’d of thought he’s a better Derby prospect than 2000 Guineas or have I missed something?

Ladbrokes,especially mike Dillon,seem to know what is going on at coolmore so it sounds like its Australia is going for the guineas. I think to be honest war command will not face Australia because a fast run guineas on good ground would probably see war command in with a good shout of beating Australia. Australia must be showing enough speed at home to want them to go for the Guineas but I can’t help feeling that war command is going to be a top class colt at a mile and Australia much better at 10 and 12 f. As with all decisions at cool more I fancy aiden has to follow the instructions from the lads with john magnier having the final say. I feel sorry for aides obrien as no other trainer gets the pressure he does especially when you consider the likes of the late sir Henry or Michael stoute are left to do what they thinks best from the horse. I think aiden may produce better results if they would leave the decisions to him.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

The vibes for Night of Thunder is that he is a very good animal but probably more suited and better on a softer surface.

Thanks Nathan, should have noticed this myself really, will be interesting to see how he does this season.

Cheaper option is fine, just not able to get up close to the finishing line. Premier gives access to Millenium Grandstand bar and seating but as you can imagine it does get busy on 2000 Guineas day.

I’m not bothered about the bar or seating to be honest but would ideally like to be close to the finishing line so may have to go for the more expensive option, thinking about going for both days as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Karakontie and Ectot both look interesting at around 25/1, going to have to dig out my french racing subscription to watch their last races!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Toormore was always going to run in one or the other, I thought they might go to the Greenham with him but I suppose it makes sense to run in the Craven like Hannon said it will give him the experience of the dip. There’s no doubting he’ll get the mile as he won over at the Curragh at 7f and again was doing his best work at the business end of the race and the Curragh is quite a stiff track.
    What do you reckon Steve 3/1 2nd fav after the Craven? :|

There was a murmur that Toormore might go straight to the Guineas as he is apparently easy enough to get fit. I prefer that he has a run beforehand though, although recent trial winners have been cursed in the big one.

It is interesting that Toormore was a possible for the Racing Post Trophy at the end of last season, as that is usually a stayer’s target and I have no concerns regarding the trip. If he has trained on he seems a solid candidate for at least a place in the Guineas.

Much will depend on how Kingman fares in the Greenham as regards the shape of the book post trials. If he doesn’t shine and Toormore impresses it could be that the Hannon horse is as low as 5/2, with the possibility looking more likely that War Command will step aside in favour of a stablemate clearly held in higher regard.

Kingston Hill is the latest Racing Post Trophy winner to hose up in gutters and see his odds slashed for the Guineas. For my money his best prospect is a return to Doncaster late in the season on his beloved mud in the St Leger. I want to oppose him against faster horses than he has yet encountered and he’s no value at around the same odds as Toormore in my opinion.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

The vibes for Night of Thunder is that he is a very good animal but probably more suited and better on a softer surface.

Thanks Nathan, should have noticed this myself really, will be interesting to see how he does this season.

He’s yet to run on decent ground ben so there is no guarantees that he will not act on it besides who knows what the state of the ground will be come guineas days, it is the cricket season afterall.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

War Command is out to 12/1 with Paddy Power, surely a bad sign for his backers?

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

There a piece in the racing post today from the breeder of Australia.He talks about when Coolmore brought the horse and the vibe from them was very very strong,what was more intresting from him is when he talks about Frankie D who rode some work for Aiden last April and he rings this guy up 5 times from ballydoyle to say you have breed a special one here. Now we all know Aiden and coolmore talk up there horses but 9/10 times there proved to be right and I have a feeling they are with this horse. I think the fact that War Command is even going to the guineas says it all.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Karakontie and Ectot both look interesting at around 25/1, going to have to dig out my french racing subscription to watch their last races!

Watched them both and was more impressed with Katakontie, could be in with a big chance if he travels over alright.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Watched them both and was more impressed with Katakontie, could be in with a big chance if he travels over alright.

I’d be very wary of Karakontie. Trainer Jonathan Pease used to be poison for me with his UK runners and Maxios continued that stink-fest last year as part of the trainers 0 for 2 at Ascot last season. The stable don’t tend to send many to these shores and I’d be highly doubtful he will make the trip to Newmarket and his form is soft ground based as well.

Not trying to be funny here but I wouldn’t take 100/1 if offered.

• Total Posts 1982

I had to chuckle at the ever so slightly naive opinion of Jim McGrath on The Morning Line last Saturday. His response to a comment made by Simon Clare was ‘Horse Racing is a sport first and a business second’. I support the notion, but it’s not that simple, I’m afraid.

War Command was a 6L winner of the Coventry Stakes and followed up in the the Futurity and Dewhurst Stakes respectively. He also boasted four wins from five starts as a juvenile – proving his effectiveness at Newmarket in the process – and eight furlongs appears his optimum trip this year.

Such a CV is that of a serious Qipco 2000 Guineas contender.

There is little doubt that some colts are favoured at Ballydoyle due to their potential commercial appeal as a stallion. As the son of Galileo and Ouija Board, Australia attracted plenty of interest from the racing public before he even set hoof on a racecourse. War Command’s future at stud is assured after his first season as a racehorse, but Australia is all about the potential to achieve and a classic success over eight furlongs – despite bred to excel over further – would certainly increase his value.

This years renewal looks solid, if slightly unspectacular. Australia demonstrated more than enough as a juvenile to suggest that he is capable of winning, yet his form is not on a par with War Command. The Royal Ascot winner would be a serious threat to Australia, and such an obstacle has to be removed before it can cause any (financial) damage.

And so, the Coolmore chess pieces are manoeuvred into position, and War Command has an alternative mission.

In the interest of sport, Australia and War Command would do battle at Newmarket, but sport and business go hand in hand and one must be held down to raise another.

Sorry, Jimbo.

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

I often wonder what aiden obrien thinks when these dilemnas come up. I would have thought that war command and indian maharaja would be his two best bets at a mile and australia and geoffrey chaucer the best bets at 10 and 12f. I do agree that war command could well be australias toughest opponent in the 2000 guineas but as you say commercial value will come first. I Think once the guineas is out of the way we will see war command in group ones over a mile and australia will step up in distance. It will be interesting to see where ruler of the world runs and at what distance as the new joint owners will have to come to an agreement on it and i doubt aiden will have much say in it.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Indian Maharaja needs to come on from today to be a contender.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Indian Maharaja has no chance based on his seasonal debut. He doubled in price to 33/1 and is only quoted by one firm now. I highly doubt he will run in the 2000 Guineas and he looks set to be wherever

Australia

isn’t for the season.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

This years renewal looks solid, if slightly unspectacular. Australia demonstrated more than enough as a juvenile to suggest that he is capable of winning,

Agree with everything else but this suggestion is dubious to say the least. He owes his position as a short-priced favourite to the O’Brien hype machine. He has had three races, none of which demonstrated that he definitely has the ability to win an average Guineas. His claim to fame so far is beating a (below par?) maiden winner in a four-horse race at Leopardstown.

• Total Posts 336

Indian Maharaja has no chance based on his seasonal debut. He doubled in price to 33/1 and is only quoted by one firm now. I highly doubt he will run in the 2000 Guineas and he looks set to be wherever

Australia

isn’t for the season.

Apparently he was found to be stiff behind post race, but haven’t heard anything else subsequently. However, based on the initial report would be surprised to see again before the second half of the season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Australia is terrible value for the 2000 considering there are a number of horses in the race who’ve showed us why they’re unbeaten. I think it’s a fascinating contest this year but won’t make my mind up until I’ve seen all the trials.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.