The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2014

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2014

Viewing 10 posts - 188 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13243

I’m a little bit surprised at the views expressed by some people on here. The only surprising thing to me was the price of the winner. His form was very good, the only time he was beaten was by a "wonder horse". If Kingman was accepted as a wonder horse, and was expected to slay all before him in the Guineas, then why was the field not all a similar ridiculous price of Night Of Thunder at 40/1.

The fact of the matter, and I posted this opinion when I suggested Night Of Thunder was a potential winner, was that Kingman looked like a wonder horse, and still likely is, when he ran away from NOT and the rest about the 6f mark in the Greenham. His burst of speed was exhilarating and nothing in the Guineas field would match him for speed at that distance. To save me repeating my take on the Greenham, I’ll copy what I mentioned previously……….

I don’t think, as has been suggested, that ante post backers have been "robbed". I’m sure there would have been quite a few ante post backers of NOT, most likely before him getting beat in the Greenham, when he was well fancied. This isn’t so out of the blue as many suggest, both Hannon’s and Richard Hughes’s comments were quite positive on NOT’s chances. If Kingman hadn’t been in the Greenham, Night of Thumder would probably have gone to the Guineas a single figure price.

If Night Of Thunder and Kingman were to meet again over 7f, I would still expect Kingman to come out on top, but as I said, Kingman’s pedigree was more in the sprinter mould. I think Kingman will be dropped back to a suitable distance, and he will prove to be the exceptional horse that he is. I also think that Night Of Thunder will go on to show that he is a very good horse. I think the first three home will all prove very good. I don’t think, like some suggest, that this was a poor Guineas, it just didn’t work out the way some wanted it to……that’s racing for you.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The highlight of the race was the jockey on the winner.Talk about the "elephant in the room" or don’t.The finish of Fallon was the reason he won.The second was well beaten when Fallon had to settle his mount one more time.Then he took on Australia without the whip and landed the horse first past the post.An incredible performance by the jockey but totally ignored by the Forum readers.Why I wonder? Now if it had been Buick or Moore the cries of wonder and amazement would have raised the roof.

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

Many horses leave the form of the guineas behind them later on in the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if war command improves and like other war fronts runs better over 10f and the same could be said for Kingston hill. Australia ran a cracker and looks like a worthy derby favourite. As for kingman it looks to me he simply was beaten by the extra furlong and NOT improved more for his first run. The joys of dissecting form.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

He’ll probably be odds on come Derby Day.

I notice the winner has entries in the Dante and Derby and has a decent chance on pedigree of staying the longer trip.

If he goes to Epsom I would see no reason why Australia would reverse the form on today’s evidence.

Feel free to have your opinion. The fact is that Australia was always touted as more of a Derby type and he was not beaten far by a horse who had already had a run this season. Anyone can check and see that Hannon horses have a very modest record over middle distances and Aiden O’Brien seems to have half an idea of winning Epsom Derbies. I don’t think much of Night Of Thunder’s chance at Epsom and will bet to that effect. Australia is as low as Evens already while Night Of Thunder is available at 20/1.

Make what you will of those facts.

Richard Hannon has already stated that Night Of Thunder is highly likely to go to Royal Ascot for the St James’ Palace. Bunker is said to be their Derby horse. If the True Story bubble bursts Australia will be looking good value at the 7/4 currently available and that is a scenario I can readily visualise.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

The french 2000 Guineas took place at Longchamp today.

The winner

Avenir Certain

was quite impressive, showing great speed in the last furlongs. She’s still unbeaten and is an interesting filly to follow in her next races.

Veda

finished 2nd (an Aga Khan-bred filly) and was impressive as well making huge ground in the home straight on the winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

The winner

Avenir Certain

was quite impressive, showing great speed in the last furlongs. She’s still unbeaten and is an interesting filly to follow in her next races.

Veda

finished 2nd (an Aga Khan-bred filly) and was impressive as well making huge ground in the home straight on the winner.

That’s the French 1000 Guineas. The 2000 Guineas was won by Karaknotie.

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

The winner

Avenir Certain

Veda

Oh sorry. I have no idea what was in my mind. :oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

The winner

Avenir Certain

Veda

Oh sorry. I have no idea what was in my mind. :oops:

No problem, we all make mistakes.

I was quite impressed with Avenir Certain, more so than Karakontie. I don’t think he’s any more than an average winner. The filly has a fine turn of foot.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Richard Hannon has already stated that Night Of Thunder is highly likely to go to Royal Ascot for the St James’ Palace. Bunker is said to be their Derby horse.

If the True Story bubble bursts Australia will be looking good value at the 7/4 currently available and that is a scenario I can readily visualise.

True Story bubble indeed burst and 7/4 long gone on Australia, who, as forecast, is odds on across the board for Epsom without shaking a hoof in anger.

The bookies are reeling these punters in like a kipper.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Was there an inquiry into the running of this race? Winner seemed to interfere with Australia last fifty yards or less just as he was getting into his stride? I believe O’Brien was fined for excessive use of the whip? Is that true? Was Fallon fined for careless riding? Shame if not.

Viewing 10 posts - 188 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.