The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

Thanks for correcting me Steeplechasing…Maths and Spelling are two of my stong points usually and stats too !

Indeed,Crisp carried 12 stone and was number 1 on the racecard whilst Red Rum carried 10 stone 5lbs and was number 8 on the racecard !

23lbs it was and as I stressed earlier Crisp’s was the best performance since the days of Golden Miller,though it was Reynoldstown who last won carrying 12st 2lbs in 1936 !

:D

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

Please stop meandering to the press over-hype about the Grand National.

There are fatalities in Horse Racing throughout the year,whether it be at Festival meetings,day to day affairs,and not just confined to NH racing as the Flat has it’s fair share too,and several horses are sadly lost on the gallops without any race being involved even !

Unfortunately,such is life…and ONE race should never be highlighted as the main cause of it all !

But when ONE race has equine deaths

every year

, on national television, then it’s cause for concern.

How many horses have died in the Cheltenham Gold Cup in the past decade?

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

Miss Woodford,the Grand National has not had fatalities "every year" and if you research other races also run at Aintree you may find that they have had them just as often over the past 50 or so years,both prior to the fences being modified and since they were.

Of course,the Grand National receives the most coverage in the press,but they merely use it as the scapegoat for National Hunt Horse Racing in general !

Do you want it abolished then ?

Remember,however,once "they" get a foot in the door…..then, before you know it, the "Sport" itself will become extinct too !

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

Miss Woodford,the Grand National has not had fatalities "every year" and if you research other races also run at Aintree you may find that they have had them just as often over the past 50 or so years,both prior to the fences being modified and since they were.

The National hasn’t had fatalities every year AS, but it still has a bigger percentage of deaths than over normal fences.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Defintely No…
    He’s not the type and no horse has ever won the Gold Cup and the Grand National in almost 80 years since Golden Miller way back in 1934 and the fences were different then, most fallers would run out, now they run on and interfere with other runners and worst of all fall again and fatally injure themselves.
    The race is much too fast now and any mistake could be fatal. We’ve lost too many good horses in the Grand National, I was hoping against hope that connections of Synchronised would see sense last year and now we have lost him :( and how we are missing him this year and at Cheltenham 2013 when he would probably have brought home another Gold Cup and more and we know how hard it hit the yard and all connected with him.
    Glad to read from GT above that connections of Long Run are thinking along the same lines and not even considering it.

Golden Miller has been the only winner of both races in the same season, but L’Escargot won the Gold Cup in 1970 and 1971 then after finishing third to Red Rum and Crisp in 1973 and finishing runner up in 1974 again to Red Rum, he won the 1975 race reversing places with Red Rum.

Please stop meandering to the press over-hype about the Grand National.

There are fatalities in Horse Racing throughout the year,whether it be at Festival meetings,day to day affairs,and not just confined to NH racing as the Flat has it’s fair share too,and several horses are sadly lost on the gallops without any race being involved even !

Unfortunately,such is life…and ONE race should never be highlighted as the main cause of it all !

every year

Miss Woodford the national does not have fatalities every year, the are some years when the count is none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eq … d_National

• Total Posts 447

Probably not a good idea given his jumping ability. I was one of those who thought Synchronised should never have been in the race last year because he was a very poor jumper and sadly paid the price over the big fences. I really think trainers need to think about whether their horse is a good enough jumper for this race and not simply enter their horse because it has a high rating over normal fences. This race is a unique test and requires great agility.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

No chance in hell.

Nail on thread

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

every year

Miss Woodford the national does not have fatalities every year, the are some years when the count is none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eq … d_National

Read that sentence out loud.

Does it not seem ridiculous to you? That only "some" years have no fatalities? That having injuries and deaths in the race is considered the norm?
    Horses have died in 7 of the past 10 Nationals. Does this not bother you? I’m far from an animal rights loon, and I don’t want to see the National disappear, but that, to me, is unacceptable.

• Total Posts 447

Regardless of whether the National does or does not cause a disproportionate number of deaths, it is the premier horse race in the UK and one that is watched by millions every year. By virtue of its fame comes the notoriety of the public equine death. If the racing fans want to stick their heads in the sand and deny the negative publicity then we will lose this great race forever.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Read that sentence out loud.

Yes, sorry that is bad english :oops:

Not every year has a fatality and those that have, not all are a result of being in competitive racing.

2012 Synchronised died while running loose, so did McKelvey in 2008 and Graphic Approach in 2007 and Tyneandthyneagain (2006)

Every effort is made to catch a loose horse but sometimes the horse can be very elusive. Most loose horses don’t come to any harm, take those that carried Tony McCoy out when he rode Clan Royal in the 2005 version.

Hear The Echo had heart attack after the race, or so I heard, and could have happened anywhere, yes he had a hard race, but this was unforseen.

According To Pete was unlucky to be brought down, and again this could have happened anywhere, but to be honest I’m very surprised at the owners entering him if they thought of him as a pet. I wonder if fate had him as last year’s winner what their reaction would have been.

The rest in the ten year period mentioned,
    Ornis and Dooney Gate in 2011
    Goguenard in 2003
    The Last Fling and Manx Magic in 2002

were probably the result of the course, but lowering the fences only increase the speed and increase the danger. I think the trainers should teach the horses how to jump a proper fence first. The trouble is most modern fences have become easier, meaning they are unaware when it comes to the national.

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

Am I alone in finding it disturbing that four horses in seven years have been killed whilst running loose in the National? I can think of very few instances anywhere else in the last 30 years or so. What is going on?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Am I alone in finding it disturbing that four horses in seven years have been killed whilst running loose in the National? I can think of very few instances anywhere else in the last 30 years or so. What is going on?

Before last season’s national I read reports about sending in extra staff, to help capturing these loose animals but it’s not that easy. You might have the best part of the remaining field to avoid. They also put run outs for loose horses. However horses are herd animals and that might play a part in them continuing. Jockeys could play a part in capturing their loose mounts and some probably do, where possible, but I read (and I don’t know how true this is) that because they can’t remount some jockeys don’t bother.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

The trouble is most modern fences have become easier, meaning they are unaware when it comes to the national.

Excellent point RR, although the tops of Aintree fences aren’t that hard, if anything softer, lower/inner parts are the problem. Believe it’s being sorted with more plastic instead of wood on the inside. Fact very few (if any) other courses have drop fences these days is another reason for problems.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 469

No, you are not alone.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16951

Jockeys could play a part in capturing their loose mounts and some probably do, where possible, but I read (and I don’t know how true this is) that because they can’t remount some jockeys don’t bother.

Red Rum..Your point reminded me of a thought I had at the beginning of last years National when Synchronised threw AP before the start and ran off:-
    If jockeys are not allowed to remount in case the horse has sustained an injury during the course of the fall or unseating, why was AP allowed to remount Synchronised after the horse had run off and been recaptured before the start of the race? I was willing him to run like the wind back to his stable but sadly someone caught him and lead him back to the start and his fate.
    I didn’t notice anyone rushing over to check the horse over and the fact that he had thrown AP and shown much distress at being there anyway it would have, obviously, been better if he had been ruled out, sadly too late now but would like to see that particular rule introduced for the future.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I agree it was a hugely eyecatching performance from Join Together in the Becher finishing like a train. I’d hold he, Teaforthree and The Package as my three front runners at this moment, but won’t be putting any money down until the chips fall into place a bit more.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

I thought The Package’s last run in the national wasn’t very encouraging. I’d like to see Planet of Sound given another go but raced less handily and could see the likes of Bradley running well .

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.