The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Al ferof won easily today – jumped ok but was never extended. Will the jumping stand up when under pressure ?

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Al Ferof wouldn’t finish halfway in a Champion Hurdle – looks a shocking price relative to Peddlers Cross.

Arightgoodyoke
    • Total Posts 24

Stilvi Isn’t the supreme novice and champion hurdle run over the same course and distance on the same day? So how can you say al ferof wouldn’t finish halfway in the champ when he racked up a time quicker than hurricane fly on the same day and c&d??? Anyway he ain’t hurdling now so doesn’t really matter just thought your comment was a bit ill informed. Should make for good watching if both peds and al ferof are fit

• Total Posts 2184

Stilvi Isn’t the supreme novice and champion hurdle run over the same course and distance on the same day? So how can you say al ferof wouldn’t finish halfway in the champ when he racked up a time quicker than hurricane fly on the same day and c&d???

Horses in the Supreme Novices carry 3 lbs less than those running in the Champion.

• Total Posts 1533

I liked the way Menorah handled fences despite Richard Johnson

Although Menorah had jumped both perfectly he had lugged slightly right at both the 4th last and 3rd last. Instead of letting him do his own thing Richard decided to try and straighten him up a few strides before the fence and ended up being shot out the saddle.

Just one of those things but he had put in some spectacular jumps that had me thinking this is going to be his game.

Peddlers Cross taking it all was well with Menorah on Champion Hurdle day was a much superior hurdler and has a race record dreams are made of.

He had a flawless round against a couple of mules going at 30mph but it was till hard not to be impressed.

However I was really taken by Menorah who may well be a much better chaser than he was a hurdler.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Stilvi Isn’t the supreme novice and champion hurdle run over the same course and distance on the same day? So how can you say al ferof wouldn’t finish halfway in the champ when he racked up a time quicker than hurricane fly on the same day and c&d??? Anyway he ain’t hurdling now so doesn’t really matter just thought your comment was a bit ill informed. Should make for good watching if both peds and al ferof are fit

I just think that goes to show how little times matter. If Al Ferof was considered to be a genuine contender for a Champion Hurdle he would still be running over hurdles. He picked up the Supreme because the race effectively fell apart in front of him. If they had a re-run the Henderson pair would still be favourite to beat him and if Cue Card had a jockey on board I wouldn’t be sure of him confirming the form with that one either.

He made a reasonable enough chasing debut but I didn’t think he was especially fluent and personally I think he would be more effective over a longer trip. If 7/1 against 5/1 is correct you have to believe that Al Ferof has improved a good deal more than Peddlers Cross from hurdles to fences.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Sprinter Sacre to make debut over fences Sunday at Warwick.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Only novice chasers to have impressed me so far have been Peddler’s Cross, Al Ferof and Bob’s Worth. I had £5 a week on Al Ferof from the day after the Cheltenham until the beginning of November, all at 12/1, and as delighted as I am with his performance last month, I am very worried about Peddler’s Cross. His fluency and jumping have been superb and the gap between winning a Supreme Novices’ Hurdle and Champion Hurdle is huge. Ok, Peddler’s Cross didn’t win it but few hurdlers have as much pace as Hurricane Fly.

Perhaps Al Ferof benefitted from the pace collapsing, but the manner of his victory was very similar to that of Noland’s, and he did it against a horse who won the Champion Hurdle the following year. Al Ferof had far too much toe for Spirit Son, who excelled when stepped up 4f in trip the following month and beat Rock on Ruby by 21 lengths.

Al Ferof is clearly a very high class horse. Yes, throughout the summer Nicholls stated that all his homework was telling him that Al Ferof was a 3-miler, but he ran him in a Graded chase for his debut, the same Graded chase that Ghizao, Azertyuiop, Tataniano, Thisthatandtother and Fadalko all won. He’s had 1 run less than Peddler’s Cross, he’s by Dom Alco and he’s got experience around Cheltenham’s fences.

Peddler’s Cross has only Bangor fence experience and looks like he’ll be going to Haydock for his next start. Al Ferof runs at Sandown on Saturday, so while he’ll have had chasing experience over the 2 biggest tests you’ll find over fences in this country in the 2 biggest 2-mile novice chases of this stage of the season, Peddler’s will have had experience only up north in egg-and-spoon events – presuming the event at Haydock isn’t abandoned.

I don’t think 7/1 is a short price about Al Ferof. If I weren’t on at 12s, I’d have no qualms about getting on at 7s, but I’d say actually that I think Peddler’s Cross is very big at 9/2 for a Champion Hurdle runner-up whose won his opening 2 chases very impressively.

As for anything coming out of the woodwork, it looks unlikely. Cue Card, Sam Winner and Salden Light just aren’t good enough and doubtful that a 5yo Kumbeshwar could make the vast in-roads needed to take on those who head the betting.

So other than Menorah and Sprinter Sacre, who’ve raced just 1 between them this season so far, difficult to envisage any other dangers turning up. And why would you fear either of them? Menorah’s never beaten anything of worth and was beating only novices last year before he turned up in the Champion Hurdle and got stuffed by Peddler’s Cross, while Sprinter Sacre got stuffed by Al Ferof in the opening event.

I actually think dutching both Peddler’s and Al wouldn’t be the worst idea as you’d be getting 7/4 about Peddler’s winning it and 5/2 about Al.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Just watched a replay of Al Ferof’s debut to refresh my memory and I’m much, much more impressed watching a proper quality Channel 4 replay than the shoddy RUK replay I watched at the time.

What impressed me probably most about the performance is that for a debuting chaser at Cheltenham, the only time he even touched a twig was when he just grazed the top of the last (only noticed this when watching the slow-mo replay). Bearing in mind this was not your usual egg-and-spoon introduction to chasing, going off at 1/6F against 3 horses who didn’t get a rating above 110 over hurdles and had to go at a fair old pace due to the front-runners whilst also competing against a couple of fairly decent hurdlers. I’d also failed to realise at the time how well he quickened after the last.

I’ve always felt that although the Queen Mother is about jumping economically at speed, the Arkle places more emphasis on jumping than speed.

Having said that and watched a replay of the Supreme Novices’, at what point does Al Ferof look short of speed? For a horse who came 3rd in the Challow, he came absolutely flying past both Henderson horses and the most impressive Festival Bumper winner we’ve ever had. Look how big he jumps the past 3 hurdles. What’s he given away there whilst in the air and recovering his momentum, 3 lengths?

If people want to say that he came off the bridle after he jumped the 3rd last and earned the comment ‘outpaced’ in the RP in-running comment, Big Buck’s, Inglis Drever, Captain Chris, Long Run, Albertas Run and Brave Inca were all off the bridle much further than 3 out (different courses I know) before winning Cheltenham Festival Grade 1s, yet none of them earned the comment ‘outpaced’ too. Very strange.

Few front-runners tomorrow in Ultimate, Lancetto and Lidar & I’d be extremely surprised to see anything other than an impressive Al Ferof victory.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Given the paucity of opposition Al Ferof has to win with a degree of comfort. There have been better midweek fields than this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Another phenomenal display of jumping. Not sure what to make of the performance. Some positives, some negatives. Could do with a couple of front-runners in the Arkle to really get them going some clip.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I was surprised Al Ferof wasn’t shortened for the Festival after another fine round – idling from the last: he’d fair bit in hand I think.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I was surprised Al Ferof wasn’t shortened for the Festival after another fine round – idling from the last: he’d fair bit in hand I think.

Better take advantage of such generosity then? I often think ‘idling’ is trotted out a little too often to disguise a below par performance. Personally, I think he won with nothing extra in hand and there was absolutely no reason to shorten him for the Festival – he was long odds on against a pretty ordinary field. Not really surprised a few bookmakers shortened the favoutite.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Better take advantage of such generosity then? I often think ‘idling’ is trotted out a little too often to disguise a below par performance. Personally, I think he won with nothing extra in hand and there was absolutely no reason to shorten him for the Festival – he was long odds on against a pretty ordinary field. Not really surprised a few bookmakers shortened the favoutite.

I’ll wait a bit longer thanks . . . as to idling, as we’ve discussed on another thread, interpreting a run or a horse’s character is just down to opinions. You seem to prefer hard evidence, and that’s fine. I’ve lost a fair bit of cash following my interpretation of things and won some too. It suits me. Yours suits you. No argument from my side.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Strange, Stilvi, that you think he was running on empty. For Non Stop draws alongside just after the last, running about 1/2 a length down, and stays in exactly the same position until the horses run out of shot, about 50 yards after the winning post. So that’s just over a furlong where was 1/2 a length behind Al Ferof and couldn’t go past him. Did he get to within a neck of him? Not that I can see. Why do you think Noel Fehily, rider of Al Ferof on one occasion, tried to do what he did? Why didn’t he draw alongside Al Ferof before the Pond Fence?

Compare the Supreme Novices’ run to yesterday’s performance. Al Ferof doesn’t hit the front in the Supreme until about 100 yards from the finish, whereas yesterday he was in front before they even turned for the Pond Fence.

What’s also interesting, whilst considering we could have a match-up between the Champion Hurdle runner-up and Supreme Novices’ winner in the Arkle, is the question of speed.

The last 5 Arkle winners all competed in a chase over 2m 4f or further. Actually Sizing Europe was the only one to run over that trip – the other 4 all ran over 2m 5f. Stamina is not a bad attribute to possess when it comes to the Arkle.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Yes of course stamina is an asset. Are you suggesting Peddlers Cross is short on stamina? He has shown top level form over further, Al Ferof hasn’t.

If you want to try and convince yourself that Al Ferof was impressive yesterday that is up to you. You could just as easily argue For Non Stop eventually didn’t want to go past (he has only won one race in his career which would suggest he isn’t the toughest horse to beat) as suggest the winner was idling.

• Total Posts 121

The last 5 Arkle winners all competed in a chase over 2m 4f or further. Actually Sizing Europe was the only one to run over that trip – the other 4 all ran over 2m 5f. Stamina is not a bad attribute to possess when it comes to the Arkle.-Zarkava

Haha are you mad,what is your reasoning behind Peddlers Cross not having stamina,he won a Neptune and a 3m p2p.He has the speed he bet a Ascot gold cup winner,an arkle second,a horse that won a grade two beating an multiple g1 winner,and a horse that won a g1 over hurdles next time out.HE also bet Binocular-the defending champion over hurdles aswell as a second to the best 2m hurdler since Istabraq in a chapion hurdle.Your trying to convince yourself of your bet on Al Ferof and nobodys having any of it!

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.