The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2012 Arkle

Home Forums Archive Topics 2012 Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 624 total)
  • Author
    GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Hurdy: As I said previously mate ‘it is all about opinion’ and that is the beauty of these forums and horse racing 8)

I wish you well with yours and hope they all come back safe and sound mate

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Looking back over the last 10 years Suprme Winners haven’t faired too well because of this very reason. Captin Cee Bee did ok as did Brave Inca really well, Go Native ended up a huge disappointment as did Menorah and Ebaziyan etc etc.

Well I think you’re really clutching at straws in your arguments now if you want to say that Supreme Novices’ Hurdle winners subsequently flop.

Go Native won the Fighting Fifth & Xmas Hurdles – yet you call him a huge disappointment…

True enough Zarks regarding Go Native. It must also be taken into consideration with him that, barring injury, who knows where he’d be now. He was hurt during the Champion Hurdle when he was favourite to win a race which would have brought up a rare treble, and forward from that we just haven’t seen him since.

I was looking forward to seeing him going chasing, funny I should feel that for a horse that was such a ‘huge disappointment’ :roll:

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Does anybody know the plans for Cedre Bleu at the festival?

I can see this happening 8) Wins well today and then Al Ferof wins well on Saturday. Al Ferof heads to the QMCC leaving Cedre Bleu to represent the yard in the Arkle?

40s with Stan James worth a tenner? :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Won’t be winning any Arkle based on that.

Read 2 tweets today regarding Arkle heavyweights.

The first said that Ruby said that Al Ferof is bang up there with Kauto Star and Azertyuiop at this stage of their careers.

The second said that Henderson is thinking of running Sprinter Sacre in the Game Spirit rather than the Kingmaker.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Has anyone heard on McCain’s next race plan for Peddlers Cross?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’d have thought that they’d try to keep him up north as they have done for the past 2 seasons with him. No obvious targets spring to mind but an egg-and-spoon race wouldn’t bother them I reckon, he’s had them the past 2 years as his prep and hasn’t affected him in the slightest.

On another note, Nicholls said today on twitter that Sizing Europe was his best bet for the Festival. Bodes well for those who don’t want Al Ferof running in the Queen Mum.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Zarks: Mr Nicholls has always stated that the QMCC entry was merely precautionary and quite rightly so.

This race will be set up for a finisher and Al Ferof coming late to swoop on Peddlers is the way I see it but will the beast that is Peddlers Cross let him go by?

Awesome prospect :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I think it’ll be Sprinter Sacre leading home Al Ferof. Wouldn’t touch PC in the Arkle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Zarks: Mr Nicholls has always stated that the QMCC entry was merely precautionary and quite rightly so.

Oh yes I know that, said the same to a couple of others on here, but surely there’s the worry that he could bolt up on Saturday which then convinces Nicholls to run him in the Queen Mother?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

This race has the infuriating habit of falling to bits during the build up. Horses who you imagine would be brilliant turn out to be no better than fair or in some cases like Crack Away Jack useless.

I hope Peddlars Cross is as good over fences but look at Get Me Out Of Here! He never got past the schooling yard although he may well have another go this season.

I do like Spriner Sacre but he is a bit gangly looking> If he fills out like he should he could be anything which is enough for me not to back Paddlars AP.

I liked the way Menorah handled fences despite Richard Johnson

Although Menorah had jumped both perfectly he had lugged slightly right at both the 4th last and 3rd last. Instead of letting him do his own thing Richard decided to try and straighten him up a few strides before the fence and ended up being shot out the saddle.

Just one of those things but he had put in some spectacular jumps that had me thinking this is going to be his game.

Peddlers Cross taking it all was well with Menorah on Champion Hurdle day was a much superior hurdler and has a race record dreams are made of.

He had a flawless round against a couple of mules going at 30mph but it was till hard not to be impressed.

However I was really taken by Menorah who may well be a much better chaser than he was a hurdler.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then suddenly, December 10th…

You should bottle that home brew you’ve been drinking and sell it you’d make a fortune. Certainly a lot more than you do off racing if that’s how you form your opinion.

Sprinter Sacre was the biggest baby in the yard at Seven Barrows last year.

He was never expected to win the Supreme and you should take the form book and toss it in the bin.

When you’ve done that you’d do worse than put everything you can afford on him for the for the Arkle.

I’ve seen some good novices in my time, like Nick Dundee, Killiney etc but after only one run this fellow impressed me even more than they did..

No wonder Nicky said he was scary and didn’t want to talk about him before the race. How do you tell people about a horse like that without them thinking your exaggerating.

Peddlar’s Cross was a very good hurdler without being a great one but a year on looking at this horse unless my eyes deceive me looks in a different class to him and the rest of them.

He wasn’t just good for a novice he was awesome and some of his jumping would have Arkle himself turning in his grave and thinking was that me. :o

An awesome display with awesome potential has me well and truly sold that this horse will win the Arkle.

One thing I’ve learned about punters is they are very quick to jump on the band wagon but even quicker to jump off it when it starts going off the rails.

I’ll say…

• Total Posts 343

Hahahaha. Nice.

Al ferof at 7s all day. Like both Spprinter and Al ferof but at 7-1 or 5-2 with proven stamina and ability to handle the cheltenham climb i am all over al.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Oh yes I know that, said the same to a couple of others on here, but surely there’s the worry that he could bolt up on Saturday which then convinces Nicholls to run him in the Queen Mother?

I fear the same Zarks, that’s why I’m crossing my fingers for a Finian’s Rainbow(or anything else for that matter!) victory on Saturday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Right, I’ve had a proper look at Sprinter Sacre’s profile and the replay of a few of his races. So I’ll just come out and say it; Bridle Merchant.

He comes cruising 1f out on his debut and has to come off the bridle to dispose of King Of The Night. Wins by a short-head despite looking like he’d bolt up.

Takes out Frascati Park at Ascot. Rounding the bend, absolutely cruising, surely heavily odds-on in-running, comes off the bridle and finds nothing.

And then again at Cheltenham in the Supreme. Cruising, asked by McCoy to pick up, finds nothing.

In all his wins since his debut, he’s never once had to come off the bridle. 4L, 10L, 7L, 24L, 16L. Destroying all these horses on the bridle, but whenever he’s asked for effort; 123.

What I will say though, is it’s absolutely clear to see what an incredible horse he is watching through all his replays. Really astounding.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Can not wait for you to eat your words.

• Total Posts 1533

Right, I’ve had a proper look at Sprinter Sacre’s profile and the replay of a few of his races. So I’ll just come out and say it; Bridle Merchant.

He comes cruising 1f out on his debut and has to come off the bridle to dispose of King Of The Night. Wins by a short-head despite looking like he’d bolt up.

Takes out Frascati Park at Ascot. Rounding the bend, absolutely cruising, surely heavily odds-on in-running, comes off the bridle and finds nothing.

And then again at Cheltenham in the Supreme. Cruising, asked by McCoy to pick up, finds nothing.

In all his wins since his debut, he’s never once had to come off the bridle. 4L, 10L, 7L, 24L, 16L. Destroying all these horses on the bridle, but whenever he’s asked for effort; 123.

What I will say though, is it’s absolutely clear to see what an incredible horse he is watching through all his replays. Really astounding.

Zark you must be joking? The horse is as game as a pebble

In his first race Barry had been niggling at him slightly from before the home turn and he kept picking his bridle up again but was hanging a bit so Barry sat as still as possible for as long as he could.

The two horses in question were both going really well before it turned into a sprint and although Ruby was first to get animated it gave him a slight advantage. Barry went for Sprinter they were both flat to the boards and drew well clear of the 3rd. I thought Ruby actually headed him and was slightly up on Barry but Sprinter responded really well put the head down fought like a tiger and got back up on the line.

You say that gave you the impression he was a bridle horse?

As for the rest. Nothing I saw indicated he was a bridle horse it’s so far off the mark it’s not worth discussing to be honest.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Fist, surely you’d agree that if you stopped the race 1f out, you’d say that he’d win by 3L hard-held. Instead he’s won it on the nod.

For what reason did he find absolutely nothing off the bridle against Frascati Park and Al Ferof then?

• Total Posts 22

I am a big SS fan (who wouldn’t be after Kempton), but can see a Hardy Eustace / Harchibald type finish with SS hard held all the way round and finding nil after the last.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 624 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.