The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 guineas 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 guineas 2020

Viewing 12 posts - 196 through 207 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2843

Jack

I have been studying the race.

Could Buick have rode him differently ?

Colosus :unsure:

No i don’t blame the ride, i blame the horse not being up to it Colosus on this occasion.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10623

‘Great reply Triptych. I too was thinking along those lines … particularly regarding the dip. It’s as though it blunted his momentum. His run instantly reminded me of Celtic Swing’s effort in the 1995 2000.

I’ve watched the race a few times now and also the Dewhurst and I think he isn’t quite suited to Newmarket. On good ground and on a straighter track, I pretty hopeful he’ll get his thrust back.’

Let’s hope so Ghost, he was definitely troubled by the dip and yes Celtic Swing the perfect example, have watched it again. He deserves another chance such a brilliant 2yo and this has been a strange year in racing. Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22767

Oisin Murphy, the rider of the winner KAMEKO (USA) was suspended for 2 days for using his whip above the permitted level from inside the final furlong.

No wonder he flew home
    tough that on Wichita backers

Member since March 2008
    Ghost of Rob VGhost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 742

“I don’t want to be the one that knocks Pinatubo but I agree with LD, it’s now more likely than not he was a freak 2 year old and the National Stakes was a random anomaly. To finish 3rd not seen the RPR yet but likely means he’s gone backwards when taking in the natural progression factor. It’s very possible to me he will never win a group 1 again.”

To say that Pinatubo has gone backwards and may never win a group 1 is a bit harsh. OK, he won’t reach the elevated heights that Frankel achieved but he can still be a force in the same vein as horses like Mtoto, Selkirk and Warning as three examples. In yesterday’s 2000, Kameko and Wichita weren’t pulling away from him in the last 100 yards. If anything, Pinatubo was inching his way back at them.

While many people knock Pinatubo for being a smallish horse, it doesn’t take away that he still has a compact, muscular and stocky build. My way of looking at it is comparing a pin to a balloon … it’s not how big one is but how sharp one is. I’m still adamant that Pinatubo will retain his degree of sharpness.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5114

Just a general comment rather than a specific one about individual horses:

If I were still a Flat bettor I’d treat the pattern form over the next month or so with a large degree of wariness: not only is this, in effect, early April rather than early June with all runners making their seasonal debuts but training regimes must have been messed about, with horses being readied and honed for expected debuts at the likes of the Craven and Newbury Spring meetings. That these didn’t take place would I imagine have left trainers with the problem of keeping readied horses ticking over at home for the two months until now

Furthermore, given that it was necessarily short notice that racing would resume, it must have been difficult to find sufficient time to once again get the horses up to full racing fitness

The old adage ‘don’t bet before Royal Ascot’ might this year be wisely altered to ‘don’t bet before Glorious Goodwood’

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2192

Oisin Murphy, the rider of the winner KAMEKO (USA) was suspended for 2 days for using his whip above the permitted level from inside the final furlong.

Unfortunately unless the rules change this type of cheating will continue.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1342

Probably a bit early to be mentioning this but it is interesting to note that of the 13 runners that contested the 2000g, 10 horses have subsequently run again since and not one of them have won and only two (Pinatubo & Wichita) have even managed to make the first 3.

Could it pay to be looking away from Kameko & Military March come Derby time?

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2192

The 2nd and 3rd haven’t let the form down and MM is bred for middle distances.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1294

I think the first 3 will uphold the form and it will be and is pretty strong form this year. Behind that I’d question, MM beat Juan Elcano by a neck and JE who is also bred for further got hammered next time out.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2843

Agree with you French in the main. The only thing i’d wonder is have some of the horses further back that have ran since, not enjoyed running back so quickly.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1294

Yeah, very possibly Jack, not easy to work out this year, but I would say it’s probably more likely that isn’t the reason than is, because Wichita and Pinatubo both ran well in the SJP. If one of them ran flat, then I think we could say the time in between races very probably was a factor. Hard to say.

Think Mums Tipple is just s*** though ;-) Makes me laugh how bad he is running to be honest, but hope he gets better for RH!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2192

I think the first 3 will uphold the form and it will be and is pretty strong form this year. Behind that I’d question, MM beat Juan Elcano by a neck and JE who is also bred for further got hammered next time out.

Dangerous to make these sort of conclusions on first run back as well as, as Jack has said, some backing up quickly at Ascot. For example, on the fillies’ side, Love beat Cloak Of Spirits, Quadrilateral and Final Song yet those 3 let the form down to a degree at Ascot. That doesn’t necessarily mean Love can’t win the Oaks on account of those 3 horses’ runs.

Viewing 12 posts - 196 through 207 (of 207 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.