The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2 Year Olds 2021

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks 2 Year Olds 2021

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1989

So I’ve decided to put up a thread to look at this year’s juveniles. We’ve already had 3 French races and 1 Irish race prior to the Brocklesby.

20th March – Lyon – Josejosephine (Soul City)

21st March – Curragh – Missing Matron (Vocalised)

24th March – La Teste De Buch – Ma Noire (American Devil)

25th March – Saint Cloud – Vanille Bleue (Pomellato)

All winning fillies thus far, although that will obviously change this afternoon.

One juvenile (Feli Chop) has even ran twice! He contested the Lyon & Saint Cloud races, running on with promise both times.

As for first season sires that have already had runners. Aclaim had 1 in the Curragh race (the already gelded Snake’s Head). Caravaggio had Silver Surfer in that same race, he’s out of Riskit Fora Biskit and is the most expensive yearling to have raced so far. In France, Johnny Barnes, Whitecliffsofdover, Birchwood & Attendu have had their first runners. The Brocklesby contains debuts for Cotai Glory & Ardad.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

My cousin has taken the plunge as an owner with a chunk of a couple of 2yo fillies for this season. It’s her first direct interest in racing and here’s hoping for a successful start.

Brave Lily by Camacho out of Song Of sixpence doesn’t have an awful lot to recommend on breeding. She’s with Tom Ward and I’m not expecting too much but you never know.

Vaunted by Ardad out of a 2yo winner Vallila, essentially likely to show some precocity and speed. This one is with Clive Cox who will find a race if the filly has any ability.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1989

Hope that investment goes well for her, Rob. Agree that Clive Cox will do a good job if the filly has even a modicum of ability.

• Total Posts 14971

Good stuff Krypton, I’ll throw in a few here and there, but they rarely tend to achieve much.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 194

Interesting that you felt Feli Chop “ran on with promise both times” on his two starts – I’m also analysing the French juveniles this season (see my thread “Les Chevaux De Deux Ans” for my verbose waffling thus far) and I noted in my comments in running:

Lyon: P1 slowly into stride and soon behind, nudged along and some late headway but carried head to one side and looked a bit awkward here in first time c/pieces

St Cloud: B1 awkward in midfield, driven along from halfway and inclined to hang left, stayed on under pressure to take 2nd near finish, showed benefit of debut run but looks tricky

I’ve rated him as improving 4kg from his debut run but think he was slightly flattered by staying on past beaten rivals that had tried to lay up with the pace making winner. As always it’s all a matter of opinions and I’m always happy (and rarely surprised) to be proved wrong. :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1989

Interesting thoughts Salut. Watching the race back I think you might be right and I should be upgrading Jazzy Wood rather than the fast-finishing Feli Chop. In any case, excited to see how these early races work out (hope the Saint Cloud winner is useful, for all it was only a claimer).

Since my last post we’ve had 2 races and another at Kempton in 10 mins or so.

27th March – Doncaster – Chipotle (Havana Gold)

28th March – Naas – Tenebrism (Caravaggio, a first winner)

Quite liked the runs of Black Hill Storm, Kenyan Commander & Graftonat at Doncaster. Wonder if they can all be upgraded for going a shade too quick early on. They were sharp out of the stalls, and at a course like Pontefract next time you can see them putting that experience within the next month. Might just have been the worst horses in the race of course, but that all 3 were well beaten at the end makes me happy to chance them.

At Naas, the winner produced a mighty effort. Wouldn’t be completely sold on those in behind. Mehman showed good early pace and might have done few favours by Stall 1, he did appear rather marooned. Although beaten 17 odd lengths you might see a better run when given a less unfavourable draw. I Have A Voice looked abnormally green for one of Bolger’s and should come on. For an AOB debutant to win that well, you’ve got to question what was in behind but we’ll learn more in due course.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 194

Good stuff TKF, how do you manage to keep on top of all these races?

When I’ve tried to follow UK two year olds in the past there are just so many races that by about Royal Ascot it becomes too onerous and fizzles out. Do you at some point look to lessen your workload and, say, ignore sellers and claimers and just concentrate on maidens and conditions races?

BTW I agree Vanille Bleue was impressive at St Cloud – did you see she was claimed for 46k afterwards? I think she will be joining Frederic Rossi who is a trainer I hold in high regard – he claimed a filly called Miss Louna last season when she won at Clairefontaine and she ended up Listed placed (and was third in a Class 1 at Toulouse this month) – so I’m moving away from my original thoughts that she might be hard to place.

I’ll be interested to see what you make of the Chantilly maiden tomorrow – I’ll post my thoughts on the other thread in due course.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1989

I’m trying to keep track of it all this season, but I’ve tried and failed to do this in the past. Being a student helps give me flexibility to fit racing in. Very new to the French stuff, but want to keep track of some of the sires out there so will keep on it. Didn’t wake up in time for today’s Chantilly race will catch the replay tonight.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

I have been posting 2-y-o threads on the Talking Horses for some seasons but the majority of posters on there seem to be more (some only) interested in jumpers. In the hope that there will be a little more interest here I would like to also post on here, if that is alright with the admin. on here.

Newcastle 1.40

First season sires represented by Liv Lucky (Profitable) and Pink Storm (Aclaim), I can’t find anything inspirational on the dam side of this pair.

With two Kodiacs and a Dark Angel involved it doesn’t look like an easy puzzle to solve.

The George Boughey-trained Cashew (Bated Breath) heads the market at the moment at 2/1 but Dark Terms (Dark Angel) at 5/2 trained by Archie Watson may well challenge her for favouritism by the off.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Yesterday’s Newcastle race proved disappointing for market followers with the first and second favourites filling the last two places. Neither Cashew nor Dark Terms showed a great deal to be honest. The winner Anadora, a second 2-y-o winner of the season for Havana Gold, and the second, Alaskan Jewel looked to be advantaged by racing and finishing strongly along the stand rail leaving the rest floundering on the apparently slower surface away from that rail. Anadora under a strong Kevin Stott ride got up narrowly close home.

Two 2-y-o races today. The Musselburgh 1.20 has only attracted 4 runners. Atomic Force, a son of first season sire Cotai Glory, is trained by Kevin Ryan and ridden by Kevin Stott, the connections of yesterday’s winning 2-y-o. He is trading at 3/1. The favourite at the moment is the Mark Johnston-trained The Gatekeeper. This Excelebration colt is out of a Montjeu mare and is a half-brother to a smart 12 furlong horse. Five furlongs at Musselburgh might be a bit sharp for him.

The race at Cork 3.10 looks much too difficult. Three first season sires (FSS) are represented; Jarvis (Profitable), Satin Snake (Aclaim) and Shinkansen (Caravaggio) There are three running that have already had a race, that in itself can be a big advantage. A.P.O’Brien has a No Nay Never debutant, Cadamosto.

A race for watching, I think. If you twisted my arm really viciously I might suggest a very small interest in Wild Eyed Girl. This Mehmas filly didn’t have the happiest of introductions at Naas, became upset in stalls, in rear early didn’t have the clearest of runs lost out on fourth place by a nose close home, finished a long way off the first two but if she was not too traumatised by that debut effort she is likely to improve and 16/1 is the price available.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1989

I didn’t mind Cashew’s run, but absolutely everyone has worked out how good Boughey is so the stable’s horses aren’t going to be particularly good prices this season (especially in maidens). Wanted to upgrade Makin’s filly, Mytilde for the reasons you outline. Must have lost all chance drifting to the far side. She might be a nutter, but I liked the early pace she showed.

If forced, I’d back Litteltimyhoulihan at Musselburgh. Glad I’m not being forced though.

Cork again doesn’t look like a punting opportunity. Thismydream wouldn’t have the worst page in the world. Seen Aidan’s is a non-runner yet again. Wild Eyed Girl, as you say, makes most appeal of those with form but I’ll happily bypass that race.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Yesterday.

Musselburgh 1.20

Doubts about The Gatekeeper’s speed were without foundation. Smartly away, always disputing lead and pulling away from his rivals inside the final furlong. Atomic Storm did OK on debut.

Cork 3.10

Previous race experience told with It’ll Do My Day, benefiting from his Curragh second, getting back up on the line to take this from the Starspangledbanner debutant Castle Star. Wild Eyed Girl had a much happier experience this time but after disputing the lead with the winner for much of the race ran out of puff inside the final furlong. Could be a few winners to come out of this Two that I’ll be keeping my eye on are the Profitable colt, Jarvis and the Caravaggio Shikansen. I see that Cool And Clever (Vocalised – Jim Bolger), who finished fourth is one of those ‘lucky’ foals who were born on January 1st.

The fare today is at Southwell (not my favourite course) 1.36. Only seven runners but still quite interesting. Robbie Roger, the first runner for FSS Galileo Gold, represents trainer George Boughey, whose 2-y-os seem to be the flavour of the month. Makalu is the 11/10f. at the moment having finished third in the Brocklesby, he is by Mehmas, whose progeny seem suited by this surface and trained by Kevin Ryan, whose 2-y-os, on early evidence are quite forward. One more to keep an eye on for the future, perhaps, is Edison Kevani, he is an already gelded son of Kodiac an excellent 2-y-o sire but quite often his need a run.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Yesterday Southwell 1.36

The two that dominated the betting were a trifle disappointing. The favourite Robbie Roger, a Galileo colt making his debut wasn’t a complete flop, showed speed to race prominently but was left behind in the last furlong and finished third beaten approx. three lengths. Second favourite, Makalu, hadn’t seemed to have come on for his third in the Brocklesby and ran a strange race early on, the Racing Posts comments suggested that he became unbalanced after trying to jump over shadows! Reviewing the race the only shadows around are those of the horses. Whatever, it meant that he had ground to make up, he struggled to do that and never really got into contention. The winner, General Panic, is by Outstrip a sire (I have read on Twitter) whose offspring do particularly well on Fibresand. I did mention in my preview that I would be interested in the run of Edinson Kevani, sent off 28/1 he struggled with the early pace but was switched to the outside a furlong out and ran on promisingly.

Today’s sole 2-y-o action is at Kempton 1.45. I can’t work up any great enthusiasm for any of them. Ribchester, a FSS, has his first runner with Mirique, who is out of a Jeremy mare and probably will need further. Aclaim, another FSS, has two in this Noble Albert and Wild Mountain. Another that I should mention is Mythical Star, he is by Starspangledbanner who does well with his 2-y-os.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

@TheKryptonFactor

I’ve sent you a PM.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 1989

Watching Makalu back Colin, I wonder if the horse just completely resented the Fibresand? I know his sire has a good record, but that’s only half the pedigree and I’d want to see him on turf next time.

There was also a 2 year-old race at Le Lion D’Angers yesterday. Frustratingly, France Galop cut out the start of the replay so you are left trying to guess how they jumped from the stalls. Darren Yates even had a runner (Fur Coat for ex-Lambourn trainer Jo Hughes). In typical Darren Yates fashion, the horse came last. They seemed to go a hard enough pace early, which could mean upgrading Affaires D’Argent (a Kendargent Colt) is possible. The winner did it very cosily Miss Cleopatra (a Toronado filly).

I’ll watch Kempton & Marseille’s races this evening. Marseille’s race offers representation from a very obscure sire – Dastarhon. He has had no runners on the Racing Post database, although he could have had some at the lesser French tracks. He came over for a Lingfield AW fast-track qualifier back in January 2015 and is represented by Gorl Pit at 4pm.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Thanks, TKF, you could well be right about Makalu, he never looked happy.

I don’t get involved with the French scene, it’s enough trying to keep up with UK racing when it starts in earnest. Easy to have a good look at the race when there are just a couple a day. My comments will soon reduce in length.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Yesterday Kempton 1.45. With Mythical Star a non-runner there were just six runners for this. Sean Woods, whose General Panic won at Southwell on Sunday, has taken over the trainer-flavour-of-the-month role resulting in his runner here, Meng Tian, being sent off the 6/4 favourite. The money looked well placed when the Territories-sired colt came with a storming run late on but the eventual winner Dukebox ran on gamely to get his head narrowly in front on the line. The un-fancied Ribchester debutante, Mirique, was almost four lengths back in third.

Today’s excitement! is at Bath 2.40. Two of today’s field ran in the Brocklesby, Wonderful World, who went off 7/2 joint second favourite, finished a satisfactory second and Muskateer Three (a 14/1 shot) finished 5th. Today the former is 11/10f and the latter 6/1. You takes your choice. As to the one’s making their debut, there are two by FSS Ardad, one by FSS Cotai Glory and one by last season’s top FSS Mehmas.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.