The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2 Possible Kentucky Derby contenders?

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks 2 Possible Kentucky Derby contenders?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

One has been talked up for weeks-the other has come out of nowhere this past weekend.

Hard Spun’s the 1st. Owned by Rick Porter the owner of BC Distaff winner Round Pond. Winner v.easily at Delaware and Philadelphia Park runs in a PA bred stakes at Philly this weekend before he ships off to Oaklawn and goes the Southwest, Rebel, Arkansas Derby route.

The other is Johannesburg Star. If this horse gets to the Derby-there will be one almighty party in Trinidad-where Joe Parker his trainer comes from. I saw this horse run a dreadful race in Saratoga in a maiden and I looked at a friend and we didn’t know what to say to Joe after th race. He beamed at us and and said "I’m still Hopeful about the Hopeful" Then he said we should wait until Aqueduct to see this horse run really well…..

And now on aturday he broke his maiden by 9 lengths, looks to be need further than the 1 mile 70 yards and recorded the 3rd highest Beyer rating for 2 year olds all year.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Cheers Pen,

went and read the write up on DRF after reading your post, Johannesburg Star could be one to keep an eye on and will hopefully watch Hard Spun this weekend

(Edited by empty wallet at 6:39 pm on Dec. 12, 2006)

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

Johannesburg Star runs tomorrow at Aqueduct in the Count Fleet S.

Hard Spun won again on the 18th and runs at The Fair Grounds in the Lecomte S. on the 13th before being campaigned at Oaklawn Park

The Green Monkey seems to be doomed never to run.

(Edited by pengamon at 2:26 pm on Jan. 5, 2007)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Aueduct Race 8

Believemenow, Johannesburg Star, Sir Whimsey and No Reply look the four to concerntrate on

There looks to be loads of pace on here and i’m looking forward to this

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

JS too short at evens imo, Believemenow looks good to me at 7-2, i’m just hoping jocks got a brain and don’t get into a speed duel and drops him in behind the pace

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

7.0 on BF even better

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

if you can work out how Pink Viper won let me know, beaten over 7l by my selection last time, been posting  some of the lowest Beyers in race

beats me<br>

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

For those interested, there’s what looks at cracking G3 Hcp at Gulfstream Park in about 40 mins

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Got GP race between 3/6/9

6 for me, but may need it

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

9 2nd, 3 3rd,

read 6 was having a warm up, but Prado being on trapped me into going with it :( b’tard

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

Don’t think that any of those looked like Derby material but at least Johannesburg Star ran well enough to stay on the trail and should run in the Whirlaway S in 5 weeks time-but Joe’s chances of being only the 3rd Afro-American trainer to saddle a Derby runner, since 1944, have been diminished.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Lets face it, no race ran at the Aquaduct inner is going to be THAT good.

The only horse id have any interest in from that race is Sir Whimsey, it was the ‘eye catcher’ for me.

Someone asked about The Green Monkey……….. lets just say coolmore wont be seeing the $16m or whatever they spent again. It was stupid money, The horse breezed like a freak over 1/8 mile, doesnt mean that he can travel that well over 9furlongs.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

For those interested Hard Spun is running in the LeComte at Fair Grounds (race 9 at around 10.20

Hard Spun is stretching out to a mile for the first time and  should take it, Teusflesburg looks main danger

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Hard Spun won easily, almost gate to wire

(Edited by empty wallet at 10:32 pm on Jan. 13, 2007)

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

couldn’t peg mary back

NFL  until San Fernando :cool:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.