The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2.30 Huntingdon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

My Faithful Annie

My interest was piqued by the name! However I have had a look at the form a 17 times raced 11 year old maiden mare hardly seems the basis for a gamble. Upped in distance, dropped 5lbs from its last run and with another 5lb claimed but she simply has no form. Usually beaten in excess of 30 lengths and sent off at double figures, she was nibbled at on her first start for the trainer last April. One can only assume she will be trying but it is hard to imagine that she will be the only one doing so. I am mildly curious.

Mighty M
    • Total Posts 26

Jeez, what a spot that was. Hope you got on

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Drifted from 7/1 out to 11/1 on course and not much interest on the Tote, there were plenty of matches made in the morning below her SP. Well-ridden and except the 2nd last, she jumped nicely. It was a truly horrible race and I doubt the handicapper will give her much chance. The 3rd and 4th were closing so difficult to know whether the extra distance made the difference or that she was the only one really trying.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

Great spot EF.
    I know who young Wedge is, but who is A Middleton the trainer ?
    Certainly Ladbrokes either knew / feared something, or were over committed as they were only offering 5s when others were all 10s and 11s.
    I’m sure that better form readers than I may have predicted it, but that one was well beyond me.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

I confess I know nothing, looked at the horse purely because of the name, thought the price was far too short based on its form. A bit of digging around and you could see there was intent. I would not even have looked on a normal day, but someone’s birthday and I am a sentimentalist. Who says luck is not a factor?
    If she doesn’t show anything next time out I daresay a trip to the paddocks will be her reward.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I know who young Wedge is, but who is A Middleton the trainer ?

Tony Middleton has held a license since summer 2007, and initially spent his time pootling the likes of Tooka and Mossman George around the Towcesters and Uttoxeters of this world before branching out onto the Flat as well.

No important winners as yet (Cashpoint landing a Lingfield class 3 Polytrack handicap on Midlands National Day in 2010 might just be as classy a race as he’s secured), and not a yard to entertain from a level stakes profit point of view, but he can get the odd ex-crock back to the track and competitive.

I’m not aware of any relationship between him and Olympian’s trainer Phil Middleton – there are plenty of Middletons around these days, after all. They’ve even infiltrated the Palace. :D
    He may or may not be the same Mr A Middleton who used to ride mostly in Points and hunter chases (and some Rules races for Karen George) with just a modicum of success in the late 1990s / early 2000s, though.

It’s interesting to note the comments on the

following the mare’s win this afternoon;

Anthony Middleton, trainer of

My Faithful Annie

: "I thought the time was decent when she was the only other finisher at Folkestone last time after they went fast. She was 24 hours from being put down in August after reacting badly to a wind op, not eating or drinking."

It doesn’t sound as if she’s been easy to train, in essence.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

Thanks for the info gc – much appreciated.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

My Faithful Annie

My interest was piqued by the name! However I have had a look at the form a 17 times raced 11 year old maiden mare hardly seems the basis for a gamble. Upped in distance, dropped 5lbs from its last run and with another 5lb claimed but she simply has no form. Usually beaten in excess of 30 lengths and sent off at double figures, she was nibbled at on her first start for the trainer last April. One can only assume she will be trying but it is hard to imagine that she will be the only one doing so. I am mildly curious.

Superb stuff Eclipse,thats what you call spotting one! Only just spotted the thread! :roll:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.