The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

11:10 first race at Southwell Friday

Home Forums Horse Racing 11:10 first race at Southwell Friday

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    phil walkerphil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1378

Why on hell is the first race at Southwell tomorrow starting so early as 11:10? I know the race times have to fit in with Cheltenham and Doncaster, but that’s a ridiculously early start time, will anyone actually be in the betting shops at that time?

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

From what I can gather, it’s because the apprentices’ handicap has divided to create an eight-race card.

Ordinarily I’d have thought Southwell would ideally start an eight-race card at around midday and maintain simple half-hourly headways until the last race at around 3.30pm. However, there are two possible factors against that tomorrow;

1) Cheltenham’s 35-minute breaks between races compel Southwell to observe longer gaps for the majority of their card than is usually the case,

2) Whilst theoretically they could have started at 11.40 and finished at 15.40 / 15.45 instead of the 11.10 – 15.10 schedule they’re maintaining, presumably it’s thought there would be some danger of their final race bleeding into the opener (15.40) at Wolverhampton’s twilight card in so doing.

No races have divided for the Rolleston venue’s Saturday card, however, so them as don’t want an 11.30 / 11.35 first race then have been spared one.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

Why on hell is the first race at Southwell tomorrow starting so early as 11:10? I know the race times have to fit in with Cheltenham and Doncaster, but that’s a ridiculously early start time, will anyone actually be in the betting shops at that time?

Those who play the machines will be in the shops :lol:
    Those at work can still bet via mobile and PC.
    I am surprised that Southwell haven’t managed to put in floodlights.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 398

Geez………..I’ll have to get up early

:(

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

What’s the problem? Dog racing starts everyday at 11.00am and Deauville races have been starting at 9.20am this week.
    There should be far more flexibility and early start times particularly during the summer when we seem to have to wait till 2.00pm for the action to start, plenty of people wanting to have bet at lunchtime but no British racing to bet on, it’s barmy.
    Why not have staggered start times and a midday start when there’s plenty of meetings?

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

I am surprised that Southwell haven’t managed to put in floodlights.

There is absolutely no way the local council would agree to that

What’s the problem? Dog racing starts everyday at 11.00am and Deauville races have been starting at 9.20am this week.
    There should be far more flexibility and early start times particularly during the summer when we seem to have to wait till 2.00pm for the action to start, plenty of people wanting to have bet at lunchtime but no British racing to bet on, it’s barmy.
    Why not have staggered start times and a midday start when there’s plenty of meetings?

Personally I like the idea of staggered start times but "morning" racing has been experimented with on a couple of occasions but never took off.

I have a vague recollection of going to a meeting at, I think it was Warwick, which had an 11:00 Saturday start and there was hardly anybody who turned up and, if I recall, the on-course layers were not that keen on the idea either.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.