The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

1.50 Market Rasen – well done

Home Forums Horse Racing 1.50 Market Rasen – well done

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Awaiting stewards enquiry, but excellent, intelligent work by the course staff in a really tricky situation.

Mike

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 916

Course commentator Stewart Machin proved again that he is a master of seeing trouble ahead and immediately alerting racegoers and TV viewers to it.
    He once again showed brilliant anticipation in spotting that there was a stricken runner and reporting during his commentary that the man with the chequered flag was running on to the course to wave the runners around the obstacle.
    He showed commendable insight in thinking aloud that the plan must have been to divert the runners on to the hurdles track. He thought there could be trouble by not doing so but the runners squeezed past the stricken casualty to go out on to the next circuit of the three-mile five-furlong handicap chase.
    Machin was proved right on the final circuit as this time the runners did skirt past the obstruction and go on to the hurdles course. Very good anticipation and admirably cool delivery by Machin.
    The race was won by 5-2 shot Canal Bank but then came the announcement to punters of a possible problem with the runners taking the wrong course.
    It’s not the first time Machin has proved admirably on the ball in anticipating and reacting to sudden happenings. He did so a while ago at Doncaster when reacting quickly to warning flags going out during a race.

DaveMonkDaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

Course commentator Stewart Machin proved again that he is a master of seeing trouble ahead and immediately alerting racegoers and TV viewers to it.

I would certainly like to think he did, seeing as it was the last fence in the straight closest to the stands!! It would be an abolition if he didnt.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 916

I would certainly like to think he did, seeing as it was the last fence in the straight closest to the stands!! It would be an abolition if he didn’t.

I was watching the race in the bookies and there was certainly no indication to TV viewers there, and by extension Racing UK, of the upcoming drama until the commentator anticipated it.
    My unwritten point was that it was a good job the commentator wasn’t just watching the TV monitor at the time, rather than looking out on to the course, otherwise he would never have known about what was about to happen from the TV shots.
    We have been told on other threads that a couple of commentators are known for using their monitors virtually all the time for races. It could have been an example of what can be missed if the commentator doesn’t mix and match monitor and the naked eye or, for further afield, binoculars. As Paul Ostermeyer has rightly pointed out several times, most commentators do regularly switch between monitor and binoculars.
    From what you have said, Dave, that fence would need only the naked eye but I have seen plenty of course commentators at Market Rasen still using binoculars even at that last fence.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.