The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

1/20 in running

Home Forums Horse Racing 1/20 in running

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    seamusmcdowney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

Onchan was 1/20 on Bet365 but got beaten by same owner’s second string!

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23868

Are you suggesting foul play.?

Member since March 2008
    shipithollabolla
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 129

Betfair had a site-wide issue where customers were unable to place lay bets during the running of that race. Bookmakers’ BIR (bet in running) systems are tied to Betfair, so everything went a bit wonky across the industry.

Onchan certainly didn’t look like a 1/20 poke at any stage. Jumped on and travelling best two from home but you’d have been brave to make it shorter than 1/5 that far out.

Nothing to see here IMO

seamusmcdowney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

Of course not.
    Stating how bookmakers who offer odds in running can see a few seconds before we can and price as if defeat is out of the question.
    I believe it should not be allowed!

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23868

I see, yes
    And if you had backed the other one
    You’d get a few second count down and then a note saying “price changed”
    In running betting on the horses is pretty much a no-no for me. Been stung a few times. Occasionally I lay a price to go in-running if I’m in a good position

Member since March 2008
    shipithollabolla
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 129

Traders aren’t actively controlling in-running prices and don’t have faster pictures, Seamus. Maybe you’re confusing with courtsiders and individuals exploiting the in-play market on the exchanges. Bookmakers’ trading rooms are fed with the same pictures you see in betting shops.

In the case of Bet365, they pay a third party to control their BIR prices and have a built-in exchange link for arb protection on UK/Irish racing. Hence the crazy prices they spat out today. If you think about it, today’s incident only proves that – they were offering way over the true price on the eventual winner up the straight.

Most other firms just allow Bet In Running for 5-30 seconds after they jump (depending on the race type/length) and leave the final show prices up. Obviously it’s goodbye to your account if you abuse that when something falls at the first, drops its rider, stays in the stalls or whatever. :bye:

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

I am not much of an in running punter but I did cash out for a profit in a race at Soutwell on Tuesday.

I backed the horse at 2.9 on Betfair. He started slowly but made up the ground, although was being hard ridden. I was not that happy with how we was travelling and hit the cash out as soon as I saw the green profit digits. Just as well because the horse was chinned in the last strides and finished second.

When I checked my settled bets, I saw my cash out profit was effectively caused by laying a bet of double my stake at 1.2.

I find it incredible that the horse was in effect 1-5 in running. He did hit the front but not by far and was being hard ridden.

How did that in running price happen? It felt very lucky to get out with a fair sized profit. :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.