The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Reply To: Cheltenham going

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham going Reply To: Cheltenham going

graysonscolumn
Participant
  • Total Posts 6965

Quote: from Grasshopper on 9:08 pm on Feb. 28, 2007[br]<br>All of this season’s form – relative to the Festival at least – has for the very large part, been displayed on Soft ground; whether it be in the UK or in the old country.

Soft ground during the Festival is therefore surely much more likely to produce ‘sane’ and ‘predictable’ results, than is sometimes the case, no?<br>

<br>Precisely – in the face of such an otherwise soggy winter, a Cheltenham run on anything good or faster this year will be largely incongruous in the context of the entire season.

In the likely event of deep ground at Cheltenham, I will be watching with interest to see if it really does give rise to the series of wall-to-wall unedifying, slow-motion finishes that the lead article in this year’s Timeform Chasers and Hurdlers suggested the positive image of the sport can ill afford nowadays.

(For what it’s worth I don’t seem to remember too many people watching Master Oats’ or Desert Orchid’s bad ground Gold Cup wins through cracks in their fingers or with a sense of revulsion, but what do I know?)

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 5:47 pm on Mar. 5, 2007)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.