The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Reply To: For Anyone who wants to Retire!

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems For Anyone who wants to Retire! Reply To: For Anyone who wants to Retire!

snowman
Participant
  • Total Posts 554

Mr E regarding your post re profit & loss being the bottom line as opposed to ROI.

It is very difficult to disagree with you – the ultimate result has to be "how much?" and not "how?". As you rightly say it’s no good having a great ROI if you and the missus don’t get that free holiday. BUT

you still have to be structured. I would rather follow a punter that has a dozen bets a week staking 20 quid on each that returns £320 ( £80 profit) than the other sort who throws bets around willy nilly and ends up staking  £900 to return £990 ( £90 profit).

To be sure the second guy or gal has shown 10 quid more profit on the week but the whole point of ROI shows that if the first had staked anything like the 2nd he would have shown dramatically more profit than him.

The other VERY important point is that it is much more likely to be the 2nd guy that comes a cropper on a bad week/month. The problem with a tipster saying I won £50,000 last year is you don’t know (a) what stakes he was using and(b) just as importantly what his turnover was.

ROI in my honest opinion makes a useful comparison and the bottom line of actual pounds profit should reflect the amount of money staked and not the success of the punter.

If anybody disagrees just ask yourself which punter would you rather be in my third paragraph?