The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Reply To: For Anyone who wants to Retire!

Home Forums Tipping and Research Systems For Anyone who wants to Retire! Reply To: For Anyone who wants to Retire!

MrE
Participant
  • Total Posts 2149

Okey Dokey, lets have a crack at this then. we’ll drop the subject of Tipsters for the moment cos on that subject we may differ, but staking, well, your talking my language…… you are correct IMO on the % of bank against the points profit, the points profit wins every time. I care not about return on investment either, I am aware that, to most punters, ROI is ultra important, but it isn’t to me. This could be because my level of staking is low and my betting bank is at a small level, but you can quote % until they come out of your ears, all that matters is profit and loss, that is the final anaysis. I start the year with a bank of £500 and at the end its returned 300%, so what, thats not a target I’ve strived for, all I wanted was to earn myself enough for me and the missus to have a holiday, which I’ve done successfully for the last 10 years. Percentages mean sod all, profits mean everything and I would stake (risk) accordingly to achieve that goal. I would not attempt to plan a target to reach cos that leads to doubt and lack of discipline. I think that this game is a steady plod and taking the knocks go with the territory but careful and planned betting go hand in glove with getting a profit. If the punter bets loosely or just sticks at levels, he’s just making it hard work for himself, obviously we are talking MY level of wagers. If I wanted to increase my profit I would adopt a staking plan to suit, I would NOT increase the level of my betting bank. Now this is important to re-iterate, my betting bank would remain as is, that is the amount that I am prepared to risk and no more. If that doesn’t return me a profit within a given period, I will adapt the staking plan to suit the balance left. There is absolutely no way that I would throw money away chasing losses no matter how many years or how much I have been winning. All a losing year means to me is a year without a holiday, I have not gone into debt or spent more than I could afford. A staking system ensures this, it gives me discipline and more than that Dave….. its FUN. Sheeesh, this has gone on a bit aint it, and I’ve probably wandered off topic…… mmmm, I’ll post this and then re- read your post again in case I’ve missed anything…… TRF Rocks dunnit…<br>:smiley:

MrE