The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Reply To: betfair lancashire chase

Home Forums Horse Racing betfair lancashire chase Reply To: betfair lancashire chase

graysonscolumn
Participant
  • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from bear on 11:13 pm on Feb. 28, 2007[br]PAULCS,

I live near Blackpool and the only course within a 2 hour drive is Haydock

<br>Isn’t Cartmel within that orbit?

Just imagine a Grade 1 chase being staged there. Ruby could get knocked clean out of the plate on Kauto Star by a low-flying marquee, whilst the inevitable Pritchard runner would run the very real risk of being lapped.

Doncaster would rate a good shout for me as replacement venue, although in the back of my mind I have the fear that the drainage there can be a bit over-keen and make the ground a bit too fast in a dry spell. I may be a tad wide of the mark there, though. It’s been a while.

I can’t see the Betfair Chase going anywhere else for as long as Haydock and Aintree wish to bill the two days’ racing as the North West Masters, though.

Another thought: whilst the revised course is clearly something few people on this thread want (myself included), it’s probably only going to ride as sharp as the Mildmay Course at Aintree, so having a race of that magnitude run over such a track may only rate as good or bad an idea as having the Martell Cup at the latter venue.

Yeats – I also think one or two of the Ascot fences are portables. I’d imagine the plain one that replaced the water jump at Swinley Bottom almost certainly is.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.