The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Reply To: You have to get rid of three tracks

Home Forums Horse Racing You have to get rid of three tracks Reply To: You have to get rid of three tracks

Scottish Jamie
Participant
  • Total Posts 123

I would get rid of Sandown from the flat calendar. It’s a great track for jump racing but for some reason the flat races just don’t "look" right there. Always seems to be a lot of bunching in the straight on the flat track and the sprint track is awful. For the stature of the race the Eclipse and the Brigadier Gerard Stakes always seem to be slightly soulless affairs (on TV anyway), compared to the Prince of Wales, King George, International and Champion stakes. I cant think of more than a couple of flat races that will live long in the memory from Sandown but an incredible number of jumps races from the same venue. Can’t say why exactly but it’s just a place suited to jumps racing bit like Chepstow (the difference is there are no big flat races wasted on Chepstow).

Of the jumps tracks I would be delighted to say farewell to Towcester – that uphill climb doesn’t show racehorses in their best light. It’s like watching the Olympic 1500m champion who looks awesome on a track and then looks a mere mortal when splashing and slopping their way round a cross country track, doesnt seem right to me.

Not particularly bothered re the AW track.