The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Reply To: Nothing Gained 7

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 7 Reply To: Nothing Gained 7

Venture to Cognac
  • Total Posts 16457

Yeah, been some season mate, figs don’t reflect it over by, but delighted with how it’s went.

Yeah, so far so good for Eider, but would like to see a jockey booking, getting bet now as well.

I always feel terrible when any horse dies, but no doubt about it, feels worse when you’ve bet them or followed them. The Conditional was a smashing horse.

Although there are a few Antepost selections there, I’m more cautious with the staking. I’ve got half a dozen decent sized bets this year Antepost, but the majority are token gestures. I had a bet on Frodon Antepost for Ryanair, which I could have done without, I had more on him than my other losers combined. Got half a dozen on my radar for the Handicap Entries. If they appear, I’ll have a few quid NRNB, but I’m about done now. Mittens have been working well.

I think Tiger situation is fairly straightforward, I think he should be retired.

He’s miles off what he was. As I’ve said many a time, he was a Gold Cup horse, but they utilised him superbly. Not expecting him to be a Gold Cup horse now, at 11, but he looks to have regressed.

His run in The 2018 Cross Country at the November Meeting was excellent. He was way forward that day, and that made him a decent bet for The Boyne Hurdle next time out. He then pissed it, before one of the easiest Festival winners you’ll ever see in The Cross Country. Following month he wins his second National.

Absolute peak of his powers then.

Then he got his setback.

Doesn’t appear until The Boyne Hurdle. He got thumped. He then goes to The Cross Country. Easily brushed aside by Easysland, who looked a real star. The form was hardly franked in November though, as Easysland looked very average that day, and Tiger himself never went a yard.

Before then, and I think this is underplayed, he flopped big time at Navan on the flat. It’s easy to say it was just a Flat Race, but he was so bad. It seemed pointless to run him there, just to run as bad. I think it’s fair to say they expected more. It doesn’t show up on RP, but he ran in a Legends Race in Autumn 2017 at Punchestown, and Elliot had him
spot on that day for a spin on the level, only going down narrowly to Pallasator, with some decent animals behind him. That was a freebie that day for Elliot, get a good run into him, without his mark being affected. Should have been the same aforementioned his Flat Run, but he was miles off.

Then we had Sunday. He was out the back of the telly.

Everything points to him being gone.

The only thing I would cling on to is the way he travelled out the back straight on Sunday. That was encouraging. The way he finished was less encouraging.

He’s been some horse for me, ever since that day he blew me away in The Munster National. It still bugs me that that race is never mentioned. It was a “wow” moment. Nothing would please me more to be wrong, be a long time till I find another one like him, but I’m not convinced. I just want him out in one piece. I was watching that on Sunday, five minutes after The Conditional, and I honestly just wanted to see him pulled up.

If he was mine I would retire him.

Watch this. He’ll get an entry in The Coral Cup.