Yankee That Never Was

Home Forums Horse Racing Yankee That Never Was

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Hippo Joe Hippo Joe 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hippo Joe
    Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

No mention anywhere over the weekend of the Peter Bowen Yankee That Never Was at Aintree on Friday evening.

He took four horses and a posse of jockeys.

First runner: Six lengths clear at the last and going away – fell.

Second runner, backed from 14-1 to 9-2 – slipped up on the flat soon after the start.

Third runner – odds-on, dropped five grades in class, managed to fall when going about 5 mph.

Fourth runner – Backed from 14-1 to 5-1, jockey managed to get himself in a pocket in a flat race at wide-open Aintree, finished fast, beaten a head.

The first horse was Tout Regulier (tailed off at Perth a week earlier), the second Quattrocento (regularly out with the washing), the third was Bigtime Billy (who might have won the Punchestown Bumper last week) and the last was newcomer Forever My Friend.

Richard Johnson, Jamie Moore, Tom O’Brien and Donal Devereux rode one each.

If this was a Bowen yankee in waiting, the yard’s luck was truly appalling, because each was within a whisker of succeeding yet they ended up without a bean among them.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was Friday the 13th.

Incredible that the best stories never get a line in the papers, don’t you think?

Roddy Owen
    Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 450

Well spotted,we noted it was Fri 13th,in fact it started on the 12th. Such is racing.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 4104

That’s the best news I’ve had since the start of March

I have often done multiples with Bowen’s runners at Aintree but I was wallowing in so much self-pity after a disastrous York (following on from disastrous Cheltenham, Aintree, Fairyhouse, Punchestown, & Guineas meetings) that I forgot to do a Lucky 15 on Friday evening

€15 saved – WOO HOO!

Hippo Joe
    Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

David, it’s a pleasure to meet someone else who is intrigued by the Bowen operation.
    You say you have had a bad run, but you must have had the benefit of Always Waining at Aintree? I had him backed to my max for the National, but he just failed to get in, and I was not so confident about the Topham, so my bet was smaller.
    To return to last Friday: What is your take on Tout Regulier? He was carted up to Perth, a 1,000-mile round trip, the Bowens’ only runner at the meeting, yet he was unfancied and was tailed off.
    Seven days later he turns up in a better race at Aintree and runs away with it – well, almost.
    Two questions: Why a worthless trip to Perth; and how did he improve so much in seven days?

Tuffers
    Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1439

I’m trying to talk a few people into having a crack at a four timer. It’ll be an across the cards, across the codes and possibly across the water effort so watch this space!

OneEye
    OneEye
    • Total Posts 673

Two questions: Why a worthless trip to Perth; and how did he improve so much in seven days?

Because prize money in GB is crap, and you can win a lot more by landing a successful gamble.

As for the improvement in seven days, well there wasn’t any. The horse had exactly the same ability at Perth but for whatever reason didn’t show it. The horse then showed its true ability a week later at Aintree and was extremely unlucky not to win.

Hippo Joe
    Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

One-eye: I understand full well all about handicaps and gambles, but the point I was making was that the market at Perth said Tout Regulier was not going to win, so if he needed the run why was he taken all the way there (the most distant mainland meeting from his stable) rather than to a track nearer to home?

OneEye
    OneEye
    • Total Posts 673

One-eye: I understand full well all about handicaps and gambles, but the point I was making was that the market at Perth said Tout Regulier was not going to win, so if he needed the run why was he taken all the way there (the most distant mainland meeting from his stable) rather than to a track nearer to home?

You’re answering your own question Hippo. It was all part of the ‘plot’. To get another duck egg next to the horse’s name and a drop in its official rating.

It doesn’t matter which racecourse they went to, every racecourse in the country is relatively easy to get to and doesn’t cost much. A few hundred quid in fuel is the only expense that would have been a bit more than going to a local racecourse. And what’s a few hundred quid when you’re planning a gamble?

You also say

"He was carted up to Perth, a 1,000-mile round trip, the Bowens’ only runner at the meeting, yet he was unfancied and was tailed off. Seven days later he turns up in a better race at Aintree and runs away with it – well, almost."

It wasn’t seven days later it was 16 days later. He wasn’t unfancied, he was 7/1 third favourite behind a Gordon Elliot hot-pot. It wasn’t a better race at Aintree, it was a weaker race (Perth was a Class 3 with top-rated horse being 132, Aintree was Class 4 with top-rated being 115).

So it all makes obvious sense to me Hippo. Long round trip to Perth, blast off in front in a

better

race, headed after the third last so heavily eased, get dropped 6lb in official ratings, nice 16 day break, turn up at a much closer racecourse in a

weaker

race, lead from start to finish.

It was all perfect until the horse reached the last hurdle at Aintree.

I have a feeling that you know all this already though.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1944

I’m with HippoJoe, the Perth part of the equation is a real puzzler. Don’t underestimate travelling time and costs One Eye, this isn’t the Maktoums we are talking about here.

OneEye
    OneEye
    • Total Posts 673

I appreciate that PC, but you also have to take into account that it’s currently the flat season. At the time Bowen wanted to run this horse (end of April) was there another suitable race more local?

I don’t even know if this was a plot on Bowens’ part, I’m just saying it’s not the first time (and won’t be the last) that a horse has travelled a long distance to get beat out of sight, and then turn up somewhere else not long after and look like hacking up.

If it was the intention to have a gamble on the horse at Aintree then everything that happened at Perth makes perfect sense to me. Long trip possibly tiring the horse, who knows? But I certainly wouldn’t question the horse going to Perth if a gamble was intended at Aintree because it means they achieved everything they wanted to at Perth.

If a gamble wasn’t intended at Aintree then I’d be more inclined to question why the horse – the stable’s only runner – turned up at Perth and was beaten easily.

We’ll perhaps never know the answer.

Hippo Joe
    Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

OneEye, you’re a much bolder man than I am, and you make some important points which I was too circumspect to make.

As you said, it was probably all much as we suspected, but it was an interesting wee story to debate.

Apologies for the technical errors in my original post – I was doing it from memory.

I wonder what happens now. Does Tout Regulier win next time out?

OneEye
    OneEye
    • Total Posts 673

No worries HJ.

As I said, I don’t have a clue whether the Perth run was intended in preparation for a gamble at Aintree and I’m certainly not suggesting the horse was sent to Perth to delibertely get beat. It looked as though it ran on its merit, went off too fast, got tired and was heavily eased.

It might even be that the Perth run was a Godsend, the manner in which it got beat encouraging the handicapper to drop him 6lb, which is a rarity in itself these days (getting dropped 6lbs after one run that is).

But I also stand by what I originally said. It won’t be the first time, or last, that a successful (ok, not successful on this time but nearly) gamble was landed shortly after the same horse had ran a stinker and was dropped in the handicap.

Was Tout Regulier backed at Aintree? I don’t even know.

As for winning next time, in the same class and under similar conditions you’d have to give the horse a serious chance. However, if it were to be beaten out of sight at a racecourse in Scotland, then questions need to be asked :D (tongue firmly in cheek).

Runningonlate
    • Total Posts 21

Interesting.

I too like to keep an eye on the Bowen stable and have noticed money coming for many horses since before the 13th.

They have had a rotten patch of luck, with that day at Aintree included. It was topped off by the bumper horse for Mrs Bowen going down by a head when it looked to be coming with a winning challenge.

It seems to me that theres been a fair few £ left behind recently and it will be interesting to see if connections to the yard are going to attempt to recoup some of the cash lost.

Prices for the Peter Bowen runners will no doubt be contracting soon and we will see many horses opening as market leaders in the morning.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.