Wrong horse wins at Yarmouth

Home Forums Horse Racing Wrong horse wins at Yarmouth

This topic contains 33 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  yeats 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21594

A very dangerous buckpass by the BHA imo. “The responsibility lies with the trainer to present and run the correct horse in the race.” Which means, in effect, “if someone saddles a ringer and pulls off a massive coup it’s nothing to do with us.”

No, it doesn’t, Joe.
    Just means what it says and is. It is the responsibility of the trainer (every trainer) to do things correctly.

If someone breaks the law by mistake, is it their responsibility or the police?

Of course, the BHA should look in to whether they can do something that would stop it from happening again, which am sure they’ll do. Doesn’t mean it is anything other than the trainer’s responsibility to make sure they’ve got the right horse..

value is everything
    Kenh
    Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 758

What the bookmakers are doing. https://www.racingpost.com/news/yarmouth-fiasco/what-action-the-bookies-are-taking/294574?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Thursday%20News&utm_content=Yarmouth%20bookmaker%20reaction

In fairness the bookmakers deserve some credit here. This is not their fault and this will be costing them money.

I believe the trainer should get a hefty fine and a suspension.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Is there any reason to believe this hasn’t happened in the past? It could have happened a number of times the checks are so poor. For instance if a horse who is a fav is actually a horse with considerably less chance and finishes a well beaten 5th who would necessarily be any the wiser apart from them in the know? The scenarios are endless and the unscrupulous will find the weakness or loophole in any system.

Horses appear to be checked once entering the stables but then that appears to be it unless the horse wins or seriously underperforms. Pathetic again from the BHA, makes you wonder what Jamie Stier has been paid for these last few years.

McBride should be warned off for a few months to focus his mind but probably wont be. It is also a disgrace that Yarmouth took over 2 and a half hours to make an announcement to racegoers and only then after criticism on ATR.

Bachelors Hall
    Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1231

could’ve changed things if the “winner” front run or got in the way of anything, or made another jockey change tactics… I can’t see anything like that in this particular race though.

Nevertheless, this particular race had an experienced three year old who still edged right rather than a debutant who may have ran greener or wouldn’t have gotten involved in the race whatsoever. It’s not unreasonable to imagine that this variable had at least some impact on the race. Particularly as the first four home were separated by a length. On balance, it may not have made any discernible difference but it’s impossible to say so for certain and in this respect, the absolute integrity of the race result has been contaminated.

It isn’t an ideal situation as you say but the fairest compromise would have been to treat the also rans as void which a couple of bookies have done.

What the bookmakers are doing. https://www.racingpost.com/news/yarmouth-fiasco/what-action-the-bookies-are-taking/294574?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Thursday%20News&utm_content=Yarmouth%20bookmaker%20reaction

In fairness the bookmakers deserve some credit here. This is not their fault and this will be costing them money.

I believe the trainer should get a hefty fine and a suspension.

If I may be cynical, I’d say that the bookies love events like this from a marketing perspective. It promotes them as having laudable integrity, gives them free advertising space and all for a fraction of their marketing budgets which at a guess, runs up to the best part of €100m per year. What’s more, it affords the opportunity to stick the boot in – “once again the bookmakers have been left to pick up the tab for racing’s cock-up.” – without even a hint of irony or shame.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4376

A very dangerous buckpass by the BHA imo. “The responsibility lies with the trainer to present and run the correct horse in the race.” Which means, in effect, “if someone saddles a ringer and pulls off a massive coup it’s nothing to do with us.”

No, it doesn’t, Joe.

In that case, tell me this, had it happened in a big race with a strong enough market and had been a deliberate ringer fraud, and the BHA had made exactly the same post-race statement, do you think it would have been perfectly acceptable for them to make it?

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 480

Would you saddle the wrong horse?

http://bbc.in/2uIy8FO

I got 79%, it gets easier as you eliminate pics. At least I got Golden Miller right!

Bachelors Hall
    Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1231

I got 79%, it gets easier as you eliminate pics. At least I got Golden Miller right!

Got 100% first time round but was almost thrown off by “what would be a spoiler”…

Did anybody manage to figure out the remaining horse?

https://ibb.co/io7m9k

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Bachelors Hall Bachelors Hall. Reason: image didn't embed
    Woolf121
    Woolf121
    Participant
    • Total Posts 487

The wrong horse wins every day and the right horse wins on another day. Surely you know this.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Pretty sure I’ve backed that one in the middle picture a couple of times…

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21594

It isn’t an ideal situation as you say but the fairest compromise would have been to treat the also rans as void which a couple of bookies have done.

Treating the race as void means those on the second do not get paid out either and the race suggests the true winner was the second horse. So it wouldn’t be a straightforward decision anyway. But I agree, if there wasn’t much of a delay between the race result and finding out then a void race would’ve been “fairest”.

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21594

No, it doesn’t, Joe.

In that case, tell me this, had it happened in a big race with a strong enough market and had been a deliberate ringer fraud, and the BHA had made exactly the same post-race statement, do you think it would have been perfectly acceptable for them to make it?

Yes, it is the responsibility of the trainer, but as I said… BHA should look in to if they can do something to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I think you’re concentrating too much on one sentence, Joe.

value is everything
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5668

Got 100% first time round but was almost thrown off by “what would be a spoiler”…

Did anybody manage to figure out the remaining horse?

Triptych Wrote
    It could only be Arkle :heart:

96% scored, I did get the ‘spoiler’ but kicking myself for not getting Aldaniti – good fun.
    Jac :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Charlie McBride fined only £1500 by the BHA, at least Charlie will be able to pay off some of his fine with his winnings from backing the wrong horse :scratch:

Absolutely pathetic from Rust & Co

Lets hope other countries don’t follow such a bad example when dealing with any similar incident, I’m sure they wont.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1800

Clearly the trainer knew what he was doing. Also has no respect for the rules boasting about how he’s going to be using his gambling winning to pay off the fine.

Ban him, and hit him with a much heftier fine. Racing needs to clean up it’s act, all you get the impression from this is that the game is run by a lot of keystone kops.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1800

Btw on that picture quiz, I was clicking on the right horse for Best mate but said that it was wrong? weird

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.