The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Would a proper "Championships" of British racing enhance our sport?

Home Forums Horse Racing Would a proper "Championships" of British racing enhance our sport?

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Wouldn’t say racecourses are “hostile” as such, Clive. Just far more interested in bringing day outers to the course as they spend more.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

It is a shame that racecourses’ emphasis has shifted to one of chasing money. I wonder when you regular racegoers began to notice it because it just occurred to me that surely the original marketing idea was: “come and try racing, if you’re worried you won’t like it and will be bored we have x y z other attractions”. Courses would have hoped the majority of newcomers would become racing fans. At some point the money men have realised that wasn’t the case but folk were coming for a day out anyway hence the change of strategy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3361

The puzzling thing I find about this thread is why Gingertipster wants to enhance a sport that clearly wants nothing to do with him.

He asked the question himself why should racecourses encourage him to go racing when he spends absolutely nothing at the track and takes his own butties.

Bookmakers don’t want him because he is too successful and makes money out of them.

The BHA don’t want him because he doesn’t contribute to the levy.

So what actually is Gingertipster’s incentive to enhance a sport that clearly wants nothing to do with him?

Even if his pie in the sky suggestion was successful the sport would still not want him although they would be making money out of it.

British racing has made it’s choice, it’s quite prepared for diehard fans to walk away the sport (plenty of examples on these boards) in exchange for The Mighty Dollar now.

Who knows that may continue successfully for them well into the future but it’s not something I want to be involved with.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

The puzzling thing I find about this thread is why Gingertipster wants to enhance a sport that clearly wants nothing to do with him.

It’s not puzzling. Ginger on a number of times has called TRF members clueless and not able to read form, have a poor understanding of pace etc. What does he think new recruits will be.? Ginger had a losing year so wants more mug money floating around to regain his edge.
    Would this proposed Championship enhance our sport.?
    Enhance his back pocket more like…….. :rose:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

It’s not puzzling. Ginger on a number of times has called TRF members clueless and not able to read form, have a poor understanding of pace etc. What does he think new recruits will be.? Ginger had a losing year so wants more mug money floating around to regain his edge.
    Would this proposed Championship enhance our sport.?
    Enhance his back pocket more like…….. :rose:

Nath Gingers ‘Edge’ is blunt….Anyone can use his scattergun approach to betting and succeed,a darts player needing the bull to win a world championship doesn’t throw a dozen arrows to achieve his goal.If we all bet like Ginge we’d be bored to tears of cheering 9 of the 10 runners in a race home just to win a pound..An edge is finding the 14/1 winner returned at 8/1 and having nothing else in the race pal… B-) You know that anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Because I love the sport and want what’s best for it; even if that love is unrequited. :heart:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Nath Gingers ‘Edge’ is blunt….Anyone can use his scattergun approach to betting and succeed,a darts player needing the bull to win a world championship doesn’t throw a dozen arrows to achieve his goal.If we all bet like Ginge we’d be bored to tears of cheering 9 of the 10 runners in a race home just to win a pound..An edge is finding the 14/1 winner returned at 8/1 and having nothing else in the race pal… B-) You know that anyway.

Difference between me and theee Gordie Boy, is when I back several horses I remember I’ve backed them.

Must say you put it very well. You get that “14/1 winner returned at 8/1 and have nothing else in the race. For every 14/1 winner you back that shortens up to 8/1 on the day, you’ve had two other ante-post bets @ 14/1 of the same stake that don’t run. That’s why you have nothing else in the race pal. :yes:

You conveniently like to forget about all those non-runner losers Gordie; when the price you’ve taken about the 8/1 SP winner is in fact 4/1. 😉

ie
    £100 @ 14/1 non-runner – loser
    £100 @ 14/1 non runner – loser
    £100 @ 14/1 winner @ 8/1 SP returning £1500
    £300 overall stake on the race, overall return £1500, profit £1200
    1200 ‘/, 300 = 4
    Combined price taken 4/1 about the 8/1 SP winner
    Anyone leaving it until the day could’ve got double the price you got. :wacko:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

It’s not puzzling. Ginger on a number of times has called TRF members clueless and not able to read form, have a poor understanding of pace etc.

Here we go again.
    I wouldn’t say that anyone on TRF is “clueless” about Racing in general and most can read form and pace well sometimes… However, what I have said (that you keep misrepresenting and encouraging others to think badly of me) Nathan; is: There are unfortunately only a small number of punters that make a profit from betting, that’s not opinion, that’s a fact… and sadly includes TRFers. Therefore, not many TRFers are able to read form and understand pace well enough to make an overall profit – including me last year! I don’t see how that’s controversial.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Who said it was controversial
    Maybe that’s another reason then as to why people don’t do racing, maybe they/some ‘get it’ but as we all know it’s a hard sport to make money from long term without putting in the required effort and people will soon get turned off in losing money other than the addicts who will end up feeding the FOTB’s.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2620

He asked the question himself why should racecourses encourage him to go racing when he spends absolutely nothing at the track and takes his own butties.

He pays to get in doesn’t he? As far as I’m aware there is no requirement to then drink ten pints of lager at a fiver a pop, drop a score on overpriced food and leave having donated whatever is left over to the gentlemen lining the rails.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Not sure how the idea can be described as “pie in the sky” when it’s only the same idea that most other sports have adopted successfully. You may not agree with it but no need to mock it.

As for poor old Ginge. I see the knives are out as usual. Maybe he doesn’t help himself by being so pernickety but do we need to question someone who consistently makes profit? If it was that easy we would all do it wouldn’t we? His analysis is nearly always spot on.

As an aside I can’t help thinking we have now got to a position where TRF is not big enough for Ginge and Steve Caution at the same time. When one arrives, the other goes. I like them both of course but perhaps their doses could be a tiny bit smaller! 😉

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Who said it was controversial
    Maybe that’s another reason then as to why people don’t do racing, maybe they/some ‘get it’ but as we all know it’s a hard sport to make money from long term without putting in the required effort and people will soon get turned off in losing money other than the addicts who will end up feeding the FOTB’s.

This thread is about getting people interested in racing, Nathan; not necessarily gambling. Hope gambling addicts are not encouraged to be interested in racing, as it is too much of a temptation.

Most racing enthusists love racing without making money. Said before, I became interested in racing through a love of horses, not gambling.

Anyway, those that do like a bet do not need to bet big to enjoy themselves.
    Most racing enthusiasts that bet do not expect and neither do they try to show an overall profit. When people go to the pub they do not expect or try to show a profit; so why does it need to be any different with racing?

People will do whatever is pleasureable for them, thing they want is enjoyment.

For some people the price of a pint is worth the enjoyment. Sometimes trying a new pub or an ale can be disaappointing; but it’s worth it for them because (I’ve heard) other times it can be very pleasurable. For most racing enthusiasts – that have no hope of making an overall profit – the price of a bet is worth the enjoyment. Of course if the bet doesn’t get near winning it’s an anti-climax. But it’s worth it because other times the horse will win, which can be orgasmic! :wacko:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

As an aside I can’t help thinking we have now got to a position where TRF is not big enough for Ginge and Steve Caution at the same time.

No, Joni! Plenty of room for both of us on TRF and me leaving had absolutely nothing to do with Steve.
    Steve only needs to realise that we will often have different opinions and in explaining my opinion I am in no way getting at him. It’s just that part of the discussion to explain why I believe my opinion is correct sometimes means I have to demonstrate why I believe the other person is wrong – it’s this that Steve seems to take offence at. Strange thing is I like his posts and respect his point of view (wish it was reciprocated but that’s up to him). At least he explains his point of view, why he thinks he is right and the other person is wrong. That’s imo good. So why does he think it wrong of me to do the same? :unsure:

Got a feeling he also doesn’t like it because he believes I disagree with his opinions more than I do anyone elses. He’s right, I do! But only because he writes longer posts and more of them than anyone else; so expresses more opinions than anyone else. :good:

As far as I am concerned Steve’s welcome here. :rose:

Value Is Everything
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks for the usual succinct explanation 😉 :0 🙂

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

As far as I am concerned Steve’s welcome here. :rose:

Steve Caution has to be the most sensitive contributor TRF has ever seen…Anyone who can take offence at Old Ginger doesn’t deserve their place in this sacred chamber.Poor old Steve never gets the recognition he craves simply because for every jewel he digs out he throws in a handful of cubic zirconias.I love those who can pull a bunny out of a hat,watch it grow into a rabbit then serve it up with a bottle of Latour…I’ve done that with Idaho. B-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

I see Ginger and Joni are fast becoming the wind up twins…. :whistle:
    You could run the below video every year, all you’d need to do is change or update one or two things
    never gets old

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I see Ginger and Joni are fast becoming the wind up twins…. :whistle:
    You could run the below video every year, all you’d need to do is change or update one or two things
    never gets old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgjYI6NZGE&feature=player_detailpage

Hilariously true Nath….The bit about Steves arthritic wrist hindering him still cracks me up.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 201 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.